Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

SIM Card question

SIM Card question

Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:53 am
Original Poster

SIM Card question

Can anyone recommend the best way?

I live on Bermuda (doesnt really relevant), and make frequent visits (7-10 times) to North America, Europe, and Asia, mostly short trips.

To avoid an enormous roaming fee, I am exploring getting SIM card(s) while travelling, currently I am just using the free WIFI whenever possible at free hotspot but sometimes with Google maps or Uber that gets complicated.

Do you know if there is a type of SIM card that allows me to top up every time when I use it (i.e. no monthly plan) and more of a data type because I can also skype when I travel. And will work on a few countries?

Or I should get a throw away sim card everytime I travel?

Thanks!!
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Raginmund

I live on Bermuda (doesnt really relevant), and make frequent visits (7-10 times) to North America, Europe, and Asia, mostly short trips.

To avoid an enormous roaming fee, I am exploring getting SIM card(s) while travelling, currently I am just using the free WIFI whenever possible at free hotspot but sometimes with Google maps or Uber that gets complicated.

Do you know if there is a type of SIM card that allows me to top up every time when I use it (i.e. no monthly plan) and more of a data type because I can also skype when I travel. And will work on a few countries?

Thanks!!
You could look at www.telestial.com. The international cards are more expensive than buying local cards but might work well for you. I think that you don't have to top up too often, unlike most US prepaid cards. There are some other vendors.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:28 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Not sure how much data you use but KeepGo charges $45/GB or $99/3 GB... NA, Europe and some Asia countries..

FDW
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:05 pm

I just signed up with Flexiroam X and think they have a decent package for travellers. They have 100 countries with service and about half of them have LTE available. The "SIM" is a sticker than pastes to the back of your regular sim card and is switched with a settings menu control. It works well and is very positive when switched. Rates are $80 for 3Gb, but they are good for a year, and adding more data carries leftover data to the new expiration. In the USA they roam on Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and a few smaller carriers. I've tested them on a few and they work normally.

I also use KeepGo since I have leftover data on that sim & plan. I've pasted my Flexiroam sim to my KeepGo sim to try and make the most of my paid plans. So far that system seems to be the most comprehensive I can create at a decent price point.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:50 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by draver
I just signed up with Flexiroam X and think they have a decent package for travellers. They have 100 countries with service and about half of them have LTE available. The "SIM" is a sticker than pastes to the back of your regular sim card and is switched with a settings menu control. It works well and is very positive when switched. Rates are $80 for 3Gb, but they are good for a year, and adding more data carries leftover data to the new expiration. In the USA they roam on Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and a few smaller carriers. I've tested them on a few and they work normally.

I also use KeepGo since I have leftover data on that sim & plan. I've pasted my Flexiroam sim to my KeepGo sim to try and make the most of my paid plans. So far that system seems to be the most comprehensive I can create at a decent price point.
Thanks for the info on flexiroam... I didn't realize they were a databucket provider. For some reason I thought they were a per day pass provider... I will definitely order this for my parents and probably myself as well...

FDW
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: WP
Originally Posted by draver

+1 on Flexiroam, only quirk is you need Data/Wifi available first to switch sim, other than that, works great
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Raginmund

Thanks!!
You could look at Feel at Home from Three UK
http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home
You just buy a sim card top it up with credit and then buy an add on which has minutes, texts and data included. You then have the ability to use your phone in 42 countries using the inclusive minutes texts and data at no extra charge. Terms and conditions apply fairly obviously.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
You could look at Feel at Home from Three UK
http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home
You just buy a sim card top it up with credit and then buy an add on which has minutes, texts and data included. You then have the ability to use your phone in 42 countries using the inclusive minutes texts and data at no extra charge. Terms and conditions apply fairly obviously.
I use this and it's brilliant, but I think you have to be UK resident.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I use this and it's brilliant, but I think you have to be UK resident.
You're correct in that you're not supposed to use it more than three weeks at a time abroad. I think however you could just pick up a new sim card every time and they'd never spot it.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. It looks like Flexiroam and Keepgo are quite suitable for my case. Can I say as long as I use it time to time no data is wasted? - what is the exact condition that the membership will be "deactiviated"?
i.e. If i use only a few hundreds MB in a year will the remaining of 1GB become "invalid"? Do I need to refill at least once a year?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:04 am

For KeepGo you need to add new data prior to the expiration of your current service to extend and maintain your balance. As near as I can tell, Flexiroam purchases are good as long as you pay the annual $9.95 membership fee, but you should visit their site for clarification.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:37 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Is there anyway to use Flexiroam in a MiFi? or do they sell a standalone sim?

thanks
FDW
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:42 am

Their website used to list a dedicated sim, however that option does not seem available on the new web page.

As I have noted, I use both KeepGo and Flexiroam X with the KeepGo sim, and therefore have both services available in my phone or tablet without sim swapping. This should give me the maximum flexibility with devices and carriers as I move around different coverage areas or countries.

BTW, my code, if you decide to purchase at Flexiroam is: PZVXCBEJ . This will grant us both a little extra data if used at time of purchase.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
I also got Flexiroam and so far, looks good. A user posted that you need to have data/wifi to switch and I haven't seen that issue. You go into your phone settings to switch between the SIM cards which doesn't appear to be data dependent to get that accomplished. I think their referral system is different now, if you decide to get it, here's my referral (much appreciated): http://roam.my/3vxmkpvb
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:38 am

Flexiroam seems to have made some changes to their plan conditions that might affect your buying decisions. They seemingly have removed the $9.95 annual account fee. They also have shortened the 3Gb data plan to a 6 month expiration from previously being 1 year. So, $80 will buy 3Gb of data with an expiration of 6 months for unused data. This can be extended with another purchase, creating a new 6 month window, combining old and new data. I would rather pay the annual fee and keep data for a year, but it's their house, their rules. A $129 5Gb, 1 year plan is available also, and does have a 1 year term, but since I also use KeepGo, I would rather not spend that much for a second data service. I suggest you visit their website and read the fAQ's carefully for any other questions you may have.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.