Wiki Posts
Search

Free international calls - seems legit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2006, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, PriorityClub Platinum
Free international calls - seems legit

I was surprised to see that nobody has posted about this yet, but there's a new service out there offering free international calls from the US, with only the cost of a call to Iowa. David Pogue from the NY Times wrote about it yesterday, and a friend forwarded me the link. My wife tried it to call a landline in France, and it seemed to work fine. Can't imagine this firm will stay in business long giving things away, but grab it while it lasts...

www.futurephone.com
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:03 pm

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Interesting.

I've been using internetcalls.com via a VoIP to get free calls in the US and International destinations.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by sculler1x
I was surprised to see that nobody has posted about this yet........

actually it was

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=611149

....just in the wrong forum...
Old Oct 10, 2006, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
I'm calling my apartment in Russia hoping to wake up my guard but the call won't go through. Anyone actually had this work???
Old Oct 10, 2006, 6:23 pm

Another nearly free option is Jajah:
http://www.jajah.com/

There's also a pretty solid looking third party app for BlackBerry integration:
http://www.bbcalls.com/
Old Oct 10, 2006, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by woody125
I'm calling my apartment in Russia hoping to wake up my guard but the call won't go through. Anyone actually had this work???
I've found problems using this kind of service to/from Russia (more problems from than to). I've not tried this one.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My wife tried this to Shanghai yesterday (Sat, 10/14.) In the morning it never went through, she did get it to work in the evening, though. Other than the considerable tendancy not to connect she didn't gripe about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is overloading, she called then because that's when the call to their # would be free (cell plan: free nights/weekends, free LD.)
Old Oct 16, 2006, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wow. ja jah as free calls between

landlines/mobiles in
USA, Canada, China, Singapore, Hong Kong

and

landlines in
Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, San Marino, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, UK, Venezuela (32 countries)

if both ends are registered with ja jah.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Well as of today, FuturePhone is no more. There's a huge banner splashed across their site stating that. I noticed that over the last couple of weeks they've been reducing the number of countries' phone #s you could call and i guess now totally shut down. Blah
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:35 am

There is a company in Europe that trades under various names that allow 'free' calls, you do need to check which one of the stable is cheapest for any given country though as it can change quite a bit. Currently the best one is Voipcheap.com. You do need to buy some credit about E11.60 but this does allow you to call most landlines worldwide free with calls to U.S. cells free and about 8 cents a min. to Euro mobiles. The credit lasts for three months if unused.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:37 am

Programs: DL CO UA
www.futurephone.com

Big red banner across the web page. "THIS SERVICE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE"
Old Feb 7, 2007, 6:52 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Got this in the mailbox yesterday.

FREE Calling
Gizmo Call, located at gizmocall.com, lets you call any landline or mobile, anywhere in the world, from any web browser, for free.
Get 5 minutes of FREE calling per day without registering, or 10 minutes per day when you register. Gizmo Call is a fantastic way to call friends, family, co-workers or customers from just about anywhere.

http://www.gizmoproject.com/

http://www.gizmocall.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.