Search

Zune announced...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Zune announced...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/14/m...ches-the-zune/

Besdies the terrible name I really don't see this going anywhere. Design is "ok", the big feature they are gambling on is WiFi, I just don't see myself sharing tracks with people I know/don't know.

Plus; by the time this hits the shelves Apple will/may hopefully have a true video ipod device ready that'll kick Zunes backside.

Of course some "iPod haters" will buy it simply because it isn't an ipod, but I tried that, and you always end up with the iPod, nothing beats it.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:43 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
The WiFi and the radio do seem to give Zune a slight edge. It will be interesting to see how good the screen is. A lot of people tend to say, 'why would I want to watch stuff on such a small screen?', but ultimately the quality of the screen does matter.

Edited to add: Does it only come in 30Gb? I've only read specs that say it's 30Gb.

Last edited by Leumas; Sep 14, 2006 at 3:23 pm
Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:11 pm

It looks like a brick. Geeky. Not sexy enough for me to want to buy it. The brown one looks like poo.

I would think that having a photo in the background of you menus would really decrease legibility.

They have a big round wheel, but it is actually a 4/5 way pad instead of spinning like the iPod.

I do like that the shape of the screen allows a large area to display the album cover and the playback controls below. Only QVGA, same as the iPod. Might look pixelated.

Last edited by Tummy; Sep 14, 2006 at 4:24 pm
Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
yawn

yawn
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I really don't know what the edge is that WiFi will give it. Microsoft will really have to come up with something more than just exchanging music and pictures. With all the brainpower Microsoft has I'm really disappointed in this device, in essence it is just a rebadged Toshiba player with added wifi and a souped up UI. I'm sure it'll sell in decent amounts, most likely putting the likes of Creative and iRiver out of the market in the US, but a threat to the iPod it is not.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:14 pm

transformation

I don't see it transforming the music delivery industry, and that is just what it will have to do.

itunes, represents 88% of the download market. Granted, I'm talking just LEGAL downloads here, if you got 1MM songs from allofmp3.com, good on ya!.

But, the subsciption, pay every month, get all you want, never OWN your music model has been dying dying dying. Napster revs are DOWN not up. I think, and I don't just drink the KoolAid, but to quote a GREAT MAN!! "people want to own their music" SJ, ca. 2005.

WIFI is nice, but I think it will be a battery hog. Heck, we KNOW it is a battery hog. I am not going to share my music with people while on the road, I LIKE the idea, but don't/ don't want to do it. Having WIFI might be interesting, for downloading new music, but for the most part I am never more than three feet away from a lappy, and a usb2.0 cable. I think many people are not far from a computer, 97% of the time. The nice thing that was just implimented in the latest itunes 7.0 (I know, has some issues) is the ability to BUY music with your itunes account, on another computer, and immediatly download it, and then UPLOAD it back to your main computers. GREAT, I don't have to have THE computer with me for downloading.

I like the screen, but apple will have something similar, I say in 4-8 months. And it won't just be similar, it will be better. Again, I'm drinkin' A&W here.

In order for the Zune to really work and take off, the music service has to work and take off, and I just don't see that happen'in
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA General Member
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I don't see it transforming the music delivery industry, and that is just what it will have to do.

itunes, represents 88% of the download market. Granted, I'm talking just LEGAL downloads here, if you got 1MM songs from allofmp3.com, good on ya!.

But, the subsciption, pay every month, get all you want, never OWN your music model has been dying dying dying. Napster revs are DOWN not up. I think, and I don't just drink the KoolAid, but to quote a GREAT MAN!! "people want to own their music" SJ, ca. 2005.

WIFI is nice, but I think it will be a battery hog. Heck, we KNOW it is a battery hog. I am not going to share my music with people while on the road, I LIKE the idea, but don't/ don't want to do it. Having WIFI might be interesting, for downloading new music, but for the most part I am never more than three feet away from a lappy, and a usb2.0 cable. I think many people are not far from a computer, 97% of the time. The nice thing that was just implimented in the latest itunes 7.0 (I know, has some issues) is the ability to BUY music with your itunes account, on another computer, and immediatly download it, and then UPLOAD it back to your main computers. GREAT, I don't have to have THE computer with me for downloading.

I like the screen, but apple will have something similar, I say in 4-8 months. And it won't just be similar, it will be better. Again, I'm drinkin' A&W here.

In order for the Zune to really work and take off, the music service has to work and take off, and I just don't see that happen'in

What % of downloads are legal? That's the interesting number.

Get some open source guy to write a p2p app that allows you to xfer stuff with others in range automatically and you have something that's really appealing in the 15-30 demographic.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by winkydink
What % of downloads are legal? That's the interesting number.
A very, very small number.

"hot" material can explode overnight. I've seen the same track (as matched by file hash) go from 1 machine to 1 million in 20 hours.

Steve
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:51 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Another datapoint mentioned in Apple's press event on Tues...

Apple is now #5 in legal music sales of any variety (CD/download/etc).

#1 is WalMart
#2 is Best Buy
#3 is Target
#4 is Amazon
#5 is the iTunes Music Store

Steve said that Apple is slated to move to #4 and overtake Amazon in Q1 of 2007.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swise

Steve said that Apple is slated to move to #4 and overtake Amazon in Q1 of 2007.
Ouch, that's gotta hurt.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:15 am

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by ScottC
Ouch, that's gotta hurt.
I dunno... feels pretty good to me.

Anything that will make the stock get back up to $86+ can take away a lot of my pain.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus

Anything that will make the stock get back up to $86+ can take away a lot of my pain.
$86? This isn't going to be it.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:20 am

oh

oh, tell me you didn't
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:29 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Is it just me or does this thing look more like a rebranded Toshiba Gigabeat than anything else??? The wheel isn't.. it's just a directional control, no? IMO the WiFi is WiWorthless... swapping a song that can only do three plays for three days (or is it three plays per day for three days?) Woo... (insert sound of noisemaker here). Sorry, for everything they could've done this device is pathetic. Obviously, don't count MS out. Like everything else (remember IE V1 and 2?) they'll get it right eventually. Apple ain't Netscape though... they'll continue to innovate.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by kanebear
Is it just me or does this thing look more like a rebranded Toshiba Gigabeat than anything else???
Toshiba is doing the manufacturing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.