Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best/Cheapest source for a PCMCIA or USB infrared adapter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:23 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Daughter's fairly new, but fairly basic, laptop lacks an infrared port. But one of her pieces of medical equipment requires an infrared port for connectivity to the computer. Any good/cheap recommendations? This won't get heavy use, maybe monthly.

Windows XP, btw.

I've searched a bit and there are several eBay options. Is that the best route?
Old Jul 21, 2006, 9:14 am

Programs: UA , AA
I have a USB IR adapter and have had a lot of problems with it. If you have an option to use the device with a cable, that may be a better option. The reason they no longer have IR built into new laptops is because it was never a very good wireless standard. I did get a good deal on mine at Fry's.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://contents.fifthunit.com/html/p...h/sku.753.html
Old Jul 21, 2006, 12:30 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Awesome. Thanks Scott. Let's see if they punish me for shipping to Hawaii.

Originally Posted by Awal
...The reason they no longer have IR built into new laptops is because it was never a very good wireless standard....
Agree, but that's the only option in this particular case.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Awesome. Thanks Scott. Let's see if they punish me for shipping to Hawaii.

Agree, but that's the only option in this particular case.
Fairly sure they won't, they ship their stuff out of HKG so you'll probably get it sooner than people on the mainland
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by ScottC
Fairly sure they won't, they ship their stuff out of HKG so you'll probably get it sooner than people on the mainland
I did a google search on fifthunit. Have you ordered from them before? They look a little shady...(but the prices are REALLY nice)
Old Jul 22, 2006, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dizzy
I did a google search on fifthunit. Have you ordered from them before? They look a little shady...(but the prices are REALLY nice)
Ordered loads from them, never had a problem. Shipping sometimes takes a little longer than most people want, but as you said; with those prices I really don't care.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The reason they no longer have IR built into new laptops is because it was never a very good wireless standard.
Several laptop manufacturers still do build-in IR, including Fujitsu on many of their models. Although they do list the IR feature under "Ports" rather than "Wireless Connectivity."

I still use IR for printing to my Canon travel printer from my IR equipped laptop. And occasionally to quickly and easily "beam" files to/from another laptop when we're not on a Network where we can share the files.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Took about 10 days. I was in no hurry
Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:43 pm

Ordered loads from them, never had a problem. Shipping sometimes takes a little longer than most people want, but as you said; with those prices I really don't care.
I picked up the ir adapter and some other goodies. Man was that cheap! It just arrived yesterday

What I liked most was the customs declaration label saying "gift"
Old Jan 27, 2007, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

fifthunit

Fifthunit is now DealExtreme. You don't get redirected when you try to go to their old website.

Some more details here:
http://dealextreme.blogspot.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.