Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Sealed lead-acid batteries in hold baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2006, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Hi,

One of my hobbies is amateur radio. I'm due to join a ship in Cape Town shortly, and I'm flying there from Heathrow on Wednesday, probably with BA. I'd like to take a Yuasa sealed lead-acid 1.2Ah battery to power a satellite patch feed.

Does anyone know if such batteries are allowed in hold baggage?

Thanks!

Paul
~~~~
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:29 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
IMO for a definitive answer you'll need to talk to Yuasa. I know SOME lead acid batteries are approved. They need to be Dry Cell and should have a legend on the battery that goes something like "FAA, CAB, ICAO, IMDG, and IATA and DOT Air Transport Approved". Here is an example of a compliant battery. If yours isn't, it's quite cheap to get a new one that is.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:08 am

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
We take wet batteries that power wheel chairs. They have to be packaged and handled carefully...I'd check with the airline that you intend to travel on for additional advice.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 7:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Check with the airline, also. I seem to recall some airlines (AI?) are nervous about batteries. That may be only for carryon, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.