Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Sign in using an external account

Old Feb 8, 06, 10:34 am   #1

Programs: DL GM
Are ethernet cables the same world-wide?

In other words, can I use my US ethernet cable with a modem in Europe? Or, like phone cables and power plugs, is some sort of adapter required?
Old Feb 8, 06, 10:57 am   #2

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Yep, RJ45.
UAVirgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 06, 11:37 am   #3

Excellent. Thank you so much, UAVirgin.
Old Feb 8, 06, 11:39 am   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisbum
In other words, can I use my US ethernet cable with a modem in Europe? Or, like phone cables and power plugs, is some sort of adapter required?
Modern Ethernet connectors, similar to phone cords but with 8 wires, are a worldwide standard called RJ45. But you won't have much luck using one with a modem, unless you mean a cable or DSL modem.
:-)
bpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 06, 11:46 am   #5

Yes, currently most everyone on the simple level uses rj45 connectors on an 8 wire system. but early eithernet cables were very different, and came in many flavors.
Old Feb 8, 06, 7:51 pm   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.85MM) and BA Silver (OW Sapphire); DL SM and Flying Colonel
Just make sure it's a regular Ethernet cable. If it's the one you use to hook up your computer to a cable modem at home, as the first post implies, it'll be fine. If you take a different cable, make sure it's not a "crossover cable." Those are for connecting two computers to each other. They won't work for this. (Not all current computers need them for that, either, but they're still around.)
Efrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 06, 8:19 pm   #7
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
To see if it's a cross over or not, hold the two sets of pins side by side, the four or eight cables should be in the same order by color from left to right.
Old Feb 8, 06, 8:41 pm   #8

Programs: UA General Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slawecki
Yes, currently most everyone on the simple level uses rj45 connectors on an 8 wire system. but early eithernet cables were very different, and came in many flavors.
Ahh yes... the AUI connector with the little friggin' slide thing. Oh, and the vampire tap for the other end.
winkydink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 06, 10:56 pm   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkydink
Ahh yes... the AUI connector with the little friggin' slide thing. Oh, and the vampire tap for the other end.
We still have some thinnet at the office.
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 06, 5:54 am   #10

I have an ethernet cable left from connecting to our old (circa 2002) modem. I was thinking of taking it to France to connect my laptop with a DSL modem there.
Old Feb 9, 06, 11:56 am   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Unless it's from the stone age, yes, they are universal. There were other cable types in the old days but I haven't seen any in eons.

Until the management changed I had no problem plugging my laptop into the network at the internet cafe in Shanghai.
Loren Pechtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 06, 12:00 pm   #12

Quote:
In addition to the other responses, note that there are different categories of modern ethernet cable. (e.g., cat 5, cat 5e, cat6 and some earlier Cat3, etc. Cat=category.) The connectors are the same and for most usage you would never know the difference. However, there would be some differences for high-end applications.
agrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 06, 5:36 pm   #13
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrater
In addition to the other responses, note that there are different categories of modern ethernet cable. (e.g., cat 5, cat 5e, cat6 and some earlier Cat3, etc. Cat=category.) The connectors are the same and for most usage you would never know the difference. However, there would be some differences for high-end applications.

All patch cables are labeled to what thier certification is, as is required by TIA specification, the cable itself says what it is, including if it is a corssover cable...

-Vincent
Old Feb 10, 06, 6:46 am   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincom
All patch cables are labeled to what thier certification is, as is required by TIA specification, the cable itself says what it is, including if it is a corssover cable... -Vincent
"Lanterra Products Type CM 24AWG 75C (UL) E188630 CSA LL81295 CM6 ETL VERIFIED EIA/TIA-568A CAT5 61K202"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordelli
To see if it's a cross over or not, hold the two sets of pins side by side, the four or eight cables should be in the same order by color from left to right.
What I can see is:
1. black, blue, blue, orange
2. black, orange, blue, blue

And, yes, this is the cable that was shipped with, and used to connect our PC to, our original modem in 2002.

Last edited by Tennisbum; Feb 10, 06 at 6:49 am..
Tennisbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 06, 6:52 am   #15
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpratt
Modern Ethernet connectors, similar to phone cords but with 8 wires, are a worldwide standard called RJ45. But you won't have much luck using one with a modem, unless you mean a cable or DSL modem.
:-)
Phone cords may be part of a "worldwide standard" but -- unlike with ethernet cables -- I often have to deal with places in the world where the standard phone cords (like we find in the US) cannot be used without a plug head/connector adaptor.

In Sweden, for example, there are places where the telephone gets plugged in through a wall socket that looks more like a 4-point/5-point electrical plug and would not accept the standard phone cord head/connector that we plug into the walls in the US -- unless first used with a plug head/connector adaptor.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 10, 06 at 6:56 am..
GUWonder is offline   Reply With Quote