Would it be possible to use an inverter for a heating pad in the car when traveling?

Subscribe
Mrs. cblaisd's arthritis would be helped if we could carry and use a heating pad in the car when traveling.

Is there any reason that one couldn't buy a Radio Shack DC-AC inverter and simply plug it in? Or does a heating pad draw too much current? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Quote: Mrs. cblaisd's arthritis would be helped if we could carry and use a heating pad in the car when traveling.

Is there any reason that one couldn't buy a Radio Shack DC-AC inverter and simply plug it in? Or does a heating pad draw too much current? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Yes it would draw too much, unless you got a really heavy converter, but there are 12volt heating pads available for in the car. Check with google...
Another option is to do an aftermarket seat heater pad. We have seat heaters in the Benz and absolutely love them...
Take a look at the power requirements for the heating pad versus what the inverter says it could supply. That's a good place to start.

Radio Shack's Web site lists a 350 watt model as the highest output inverter they sell. Sould be enough to run at least a small heating pad.
Quote: Take a look at the power requirements for the heating pad versus what the inverter says it could supply. That's a good place to start.

Radio Shack's Web site lists a 350 watt model as the highest output inverter they sell. Sould be enough to run at least a small heating pad.
Except that when you run it at 350 watts you'll need to supply it with around 30 amps of 12 volt power. Which almost always means pulling a cable directly to the battery. Thankfully most of these use a lot less.

But look what Amazon found for me:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=hi&v=glance
truck stops have 12v bed warmers for the truckers,

about $20 I think

try 12v blanket on ebay....

$25 or so

or an RV center
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

May end up going with the blanket although it won't be as ideal as a smaller heating pad that could concentrate the heat in one smaller spot.
I wear a jacket, gloves, and pants when riding a motorcycle that plugs into the battery. Cost is expensive but results are wonderful. http://www.gerbing.com/
Quote: truck stops have 12v bed warmers for the truckers,

about $20 I think
Truck stop bed warmers cost a lot more than $20.
indeed!

I think this is what I'm going to order.....

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/caborvbase12.html
Since I know you've been wondering finally ordered this for Mrs. cblaisd and it arrived and it works very, very well.

Now if one could only plug it into an airplane's power port too.....
Sorry for the old bump, but I want to re-visit this. Turns out that the Sports Import model I linked to above (along with another one they sell) is simply crappily made and they fall apart after a month.

Mr. Google offers some options, but most are blankets. Really looking for a decent heating pad (not a blanket) that can be used in the car. ScottC's warning about using a regular heating pad an an inverter has my shying away from that approach given that the fine print that I've seen on many DC-AC inverters suggest that they not be used for things that produce heat.
Do you have an RV store near by? They would probably have a selection and know what works and what is junk, the trailer crowd probably has quite a few choices.
Quote: ScottC's warning about using a regular heating pad an an inverter has my shying away from that approach given that the fine print that I've seen on many DC-AC inverters suggest that they not be used for things that produce heat.
Generally, heaters do use a lot of power and are not appropriate for using with a car inverter. However, I am not sure that heating pads fall into that category. My wife has a heating pad she keeps on almost all winter for her birds, I plugged it into my Kill-a-watt meter and at medium, it was drawing less than 50 watts. I did a quick Goggle search and found a couple of references that say heating pads draw 60-65 watts. That shouldn't be a problem with a car inverter.
if pluging inverter into "cigar" lighter, most are 15 amp. my truck has a 20 amp.
that's about 150 watt. a 50 watt heating pad should be reasonable heat. gets as hot as a 50 watt incandescent bulb.