Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap Empower Adapter ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO
Cheap Empower Adapter ?

Anyone know where I can find a cheap empower adapter for my Dell Inspiron 5150, everything I'm seeing is around $70... Anyone want to sell me an old one ??? ^ ^ ^

Thanks !
Old Mar 7, 2007, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Try eBay. I'm not sure they make an empower adapter for your model, though. I took a look and didn't find one. The standard power supply for that unit is model PA-13. It outputs 19.5v. That's a bit higher than what the empower puts out so I think you'll need an adapter for your adapter...
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:25 am

Programs: CO Silver
My Empower adapter is not laptop-specific...it has a standard 110v outlet on it. I don't remember how much it was but it was less than $70. There was a thread on this earlier this week...
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
You're looking for something like this. The link is just one that came up when I searched Froogle for "110v airline adapter" I have no idea who the company is.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread really belongs in Travel Technology. Please continue the discussion there.

Xyzzy
CO forum moderator
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:36 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
My old apple Empower cable was ~$15 IIRC. And that's all it was: a cable!

No brick, no block, just something that plugged the computer straight into the EmpowerPort. I'm no EE (and let me add I never will be) but perhapses some PC peripheral company makes such a cord for a Dell Laptop?
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have such a cord for my Dell. It came with a spare power supplky I purchased. It handles a wide range of voltages. It's a Dell "PA-12 family" adapter, model HP-AF065B83. I got it on eBay for $35.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:57 am

Programs: UA former 1K MM
This is what I use:
http://keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?ID=766142
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
I plug the computer's regular power cord into the Xantrex inverter.
Initially I had a problem with the Empower adapter on the Xantrex unit not fitting into the Empower socket in the seat, but I sanded it down a bit and now it fits fine.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, Hilton GoldMarriott Titanium
I have a DC->AC converter I bought for my car at Wal-Mart for about $15-20. It included a short cable that adapted it to aircraft power ports. However, since I am hardly on aircraft with onboard power, I havent been able to test it out....
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO
Thanks a lot everyone !!
Old Mar 8, 2007, 12:15 pm

Ebay! Can't beat it....
Old Mar 8, 2007, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check out your local CompUSA if it is closing. Mine is selling good Empower adapters at 60% off, making most of them around $30 (this is for Kensington 90watt Air/ac/dc adapters).
Old Mar 9, 2007, 2:07 pm

Another vote for ebay. I suggest getting an OEM one though (or used one) as some devices are sensitive to non-OEM equipment (My old Dell 8200 being one of them).
Old Jul 9, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Sorry to dig up old thread, but buy.com has 150w empower adapters right now for only $15 with free shipping.

http://www.buy.com/prod/advanced-wir...216607330.html
Old Jul 9, 2010, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paullevi
Sorry to dig up old thread, but buy.com has 150w empower adapters right now for only $15 with free shipping.

http://www.buy.com/prod/advanced-wir...216607330.html
Just to clarify - there is no such thing as 150W Empower - that system is limited to 75W. When using it as an inverter, you'd need a very low powered AC adapter to stay under the 75W limitation. It'll do 150W in a car, but even then, you'd be pulling 12.5 amps through the circuit, so it better be well fused.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.