Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 2, 06, 1:33 pm   #1

Location: Austin. AA Gold; WN A List; Starwood Gold; Marriott Silver; Hyatt Plat
I just want a plain ringtone!

I just switched to Cingular from Sprint and got a couple of ROKRs, one for me and one for my lovely and patient bride. I got them so we didn't need to take an MP3 player to the gym; these phones have iTunes and hold about a hundred songs.

The phone comes with a number of ringtones, each of which is more suitable for a teenager than for someone my age (I was a teenager in the Reagan administration). I have looked online for ringtones but nearly all of them are snippets of pop and rap songs.

Does anyone know how I can get a ringtone that just goes "ring, ring?"
Mikey likes it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 06, 2:08 pm   #2

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey likes it
I just switched to Cingular from Sprint and got a couple of ROKRs, one for me and one for my lovely and patient bride. I got them so we didn't need to take an MP3 player to the gym; these phones have iTunes and hold about a hundred songs.

The phone comes with a number of ringtones, each of which is more suitable for a teenager than for someone my age (I was a teenager in the Reagan administration). I have looked online for ringtones but nearly all of them are snippets of pop and rap songs.

As a bystander, I really prefer "vibrate!"
mbreuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 06, 7:40 pm   #3

Location: Austin. AA Gold; WN A List; Starwood Gold; Marriott Silver; Hyatt Plat
Thanks for the response, I think.

It's common for folks to have audible ringtones on mobile phones. If it weren't, and it were as convenient, I'd consider muting my phone/putting it on vibrate at all times. However, it isn't, and I am just looking for an inobtrusive ringtone.
Old Jan 2, 06, 7:50 pm   #4
Moderator Travel News, Hawaii, the Hawaii-based Airlines, West & DiningBuzz

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, TK Gold, AS MVP Gold
Would this help?
http://myt610.lasyk.net/showsub.php?id=109 ?

Brought to you by Travel Tech's very own Luddite
cblaisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 06, 8:04 pm   #5

Programs: UA 1K , AK, DL, TG
I just took a look at the differnet ringtones (on above mentioned site) and click on the 'Preview' button - but can hear nothing . . should these play on my pc right off the web or do i need to download them - or use special software to try them??

I would like to find some naval sounds - dive alarms and the like
skifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 06, 8:15 pm   #6
Moderator Travel News, Hawaii, the Hawaii-based Airlines, West & DiningBuzz

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, TK Gold, AS MVP Gold
When you click through on each one, at the bottom of the page there is a link that says "Download Now." RIGHT-click on that and you should be able to listen to it. Then decide if you want to download
cblaisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 06, 8:15 pm   #7

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat. "Life is good! Really good.""
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey likes it

One of the standard Cingular ringtones is called "Ring, Ring." Can your phone access this from Cingular? (I want Eric Clapton's "Layla" as advertised by Cingular, but have a Blackberry. Talk about boring ringtones.)

I agree with you about the way-too-hip online tones, but will your phone record your own? Most phones seem to do this. So instead of recording your cat or kid, try a ring, ring phone.

**Caveat: This message brought to you by someone under the influences of muscle relaxants and alcohol.
lili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 06, 5:39 pm   #8

Thanks all. I think I can find one from this collection.

Old Jan 7, 06, 8:19 am   #9
Pyg

Programs: All of them
I purchased a data cable for my phone. It was the best $25.00 I ever spent. Now, I put custom ringtones on my phone. Instead of having the latest pop/rap song, I have exactly what I want on my phone.

The same software can be used to back up your contact list on your phone along with your calendar.

I purchased my cable and software from this place: http://www.factorydirectcellular.com/
Pyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 06, 12:00 am   #10

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
If your phone is bluetooth enabled, a simple $30 nub for one's PC will allow you to transfer over whatever ringtone you would like. Many phones (dunno about the OP's) let you play MP3s these days--as a result, you can have whatever ringtone you could possibly want (in essence the wireless version of the data cable as described above).