Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How to recover deleted file from Windows? (URGENT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2005, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P

I accidentally deleted a file from my computer (Windows XP).
Recycled bin is set to delete files immediately.
What can I do to recover the file?
It is my outlook.pst file.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:23 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
There are any number of commercial utilities available; try a web search on "undelete." Unfortunately I cannot think of any which are freeware.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Just a guess....but have you tried the "restore" function.... allows you to restore the computer to a previous date setting.....
Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:32 am
Original Poster

david4455: Sorry, what restore button do you mean? Thanks.

choster: Did that, downloaded something called RecoverMyFiles which allows me to see if it can recover the file before I need to pay. My pst file was not on the list of recovered files.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:55 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Each time you do activities with your PC, such as surfing the internet, temporary files, cookies, images, etc - get written to your disk.

As time goes by it's possible that parts of that larger file get written over by this new file - making that entire old file unusable.

This could explain why you can't find it anymore.... Sorry.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 9:02 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
The best program I've found to restore deleted files or an accidentally formatted hard drive is Getbackdata from Runtime Software. It will cost you $79 for NTFS but it is well worth it. You can download for free and run it and you can see if it can restore your lost file. If it can restore than buy it and add the license key.

I had accidentally started a format on one of my network drives and this product allowed me to get back 100% of my data. To me it was well worth the cost.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 9:11 am

There appears to be quite a few programs devoted to helping folks in your predicament. Just do a Google search for recover outlook.pst. Don't know if any of them are free, but it is worth a look.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies, All.
pb9997: Unfortunately that might be true....
UAVirgin, I will give Getbackdata a try. Wouldn't mind the $79 if I get my data.
TWA4Ever: Thanks.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:26 am

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
Just an FYI: Prepare for the worst.

My experience has been that people do not regularly compact their PST files (I do mine at least every 2nd day). When you don't, it becomes very fragmented. And, when that fragmented file gets deleted, it's extremely hard to get back, esp. on an NTFS file system.

Just went through this with our CTO's PST last week. BTW, system restore will not recover this file.

You should download the free Outlook PST backup plugin from Microsoft so you do not go through this again.

I hope something works for you. ^
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:37 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by DallasBill
My experience has been that people do not regularly compact their PST files (I do mine at least every 2nd day). (...)
Care to inform how to compact it, without accidentaly deleting it ?

Does it improve performance, or rather the opposite as the system might have to descompact in order to get access ? Thanks.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, LT Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Go to start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools and use System Restore. Look for a good restore point and it should put your system back to before you deleted the file. If the file was overwritten, then you might have some problems.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
restore

Originally Posted by david4455
Just a guess....but have you tried the "restore" function.... allows you to restore the computer to a previous date setting.....

actually, I don't think restore works on documents and such, only programs, settings, etc.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by pb9997
Care to inform how to compact it, without accidentaly deleting it ?

Does it improve performance, or rather the opposite as the system might have to descompact in order to get access ? Thanks.
Right-click 'Outlook Today' and select 'Properties.' Click the 'Advanced' button and then 'Compact now.'

Not sure how once could accidently delete a file while doing a compact.

Compact does just that, and has nothing to do with file access.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:31 am

Programs: UA General Member
Originally Posted by david4455
I believe that will restore the configuration of the PC, not any associated data files.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by nmenaker
actually, I don't think restore works on documents and such, only programs, settings, etc.
Correct -- as I also stated earlier.

It sets program and settings restore points. It is not a (near) realtime file system backup utility. If it was, it would have to ghost your entire written hard drive and you would require twice the space you use at any given moment.

BTW, here is the Outlook PST Backup Utility so you don't have to go through this again.

Last edited by DallasBill; Feb 7, 2005 at 11:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.