Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cell phones on planes...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:08 pm
par
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2K GS, SQ PPS, AA Ruby, NW Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Cell phones on planes...

I just heard this from a friend of mine that lives in scandinavia. While it's not UA specific, i thought it was interesting given some discussions i've read about cellphones on airplanes.

SAS has installed internet on some planes in their fleet (connexion by Boeing i believe). It was a pretty big hit, but now there are talks about stopping it because so many passengers are using the broadband service to make internet phone calls (skype) that the cabin has become incredibly noisy. Many flight attendants have said that it's a real zoo onboard with as many as a dozen loud phone calls going on at the same time.

I thought this was interesting -talk about the law of unintended concequenses.

Personally i couldn't wait to get broadband on an airplane, but i don't know if i'm all that keen on loud phone calls between people trying to speak louder than the jet engines.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:19 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by par
...it's not UA specific...
You're right about that. Perhaps a mod can move this to Travel Technology or TravelBuzz?

Having said that, AFAIK, the access to Skype can be blocked without shutting down the whole internet access, so maybe SK just needs a little tech support there.

But yeah, the last thing we need is a cabin full of people yapping away...
Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:28 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Since this isn't UA-specific, and after consultation with the Travel Technology moderator, I'm moving this there.

cblaisd
Moderator, United
Old Oct 14, 2005, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Yikes! This could turn into a nightmare. I'd love to have internet on board, but don't think I would bae making any calls. Plane time is my quiet time.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
here was a topic from last year

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377797
Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:55 am

Programs: CX DM, Marriott Plat, SPG lifetime, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Chairman's Club
definitely needs to be blocked!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.