Reload this Page >

Verizon network + World Quad GSM Smartphone $63

Verizon network + World Quad GSM Smartphone $63

Old Jun 4, 2011, 9:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool Verizon network + World Quad GSM Smartphone $63

HTC Ozone XV6175 Quad-Band Verizon Phone (Black)
Mwave Part No: BA47735; Mfg Part No: XV6175 Condition: New - Retail

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch...iteria=BA47735

Ran across this pretty nice price on a world capable phone which can be used with Verizon or with PagePlusCellular.com. Runs CDMA in the US/Canada, just buy your own SIM to use overseas (or use the Verizon SIM included).

This is brand new, never used. Has pretty good reviews. I have bought computers from Mwave before, their service is great, no problems with any needed returns, etc.

Hope this is useful to "fellow travelers."

Doc
Old Jun 4, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I bought a barebones, unlocked, quad-band GSM phone last year solely for use overseas, but I'm sorely tempted by this one. I've also used mWave for a couple of purchases in the past and have been pleased with their products, pricing, and customer service.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Just did a quick search. If you don't mind used, CowBoom (Best Buy's "deal of the day" site) has used versions of this same phone for $33.99: http://www.cowboom.com/product/657082.

User reviews for the phone (some admittedly nearly two years old) seem generally positive: http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAQ&os=reviews.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 7:25 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
Thanks for pointing this out. I ordered one. Switching out an iPhone 4 on VZW (with grandfathered unlimited data) with this as soon as it comes. I don't need the iPhone, definitely want the Verizon network stateside, and require a GSM world phone too -- this fits the bill perfectly, and for $70.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 6:23 pm

GPS

I am considering buying an unlocked HTC Ozone.It looks like what I need for traveling in Europe. Any idea if the GPS would work outside of the US, assuming I had a data SIM, (or does it even need a data SIM for GPS)?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by vindesante
I am considering buying an unlocked HTC Ozone.It looks like what I need for traveling in Europe. Any idea if the GPS would work outside of the US, assuming I had a data SIM, (or does it even need a data SIM for GPS)?
The GPS itself doesn't require a SIM or a data plan, but whatever mapping application you're using (unless it has the maps pre-cached) will require some sort of network connection in order to download maps. That could be wi-fi while you're traveling.

The GPS will work outside of the US if it's like any other GPS chip. I know I've used several US-purchased phones overseas and the GPS has worked flawlessly.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
Remember this is Windows Mobile and it is pretty much a dead OS. The only people that are making apps for this are independent people and the apps are very rough around the edges. Almost everything has to be done through the web browser.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles
Reason this is being sold bare-bones is because this phone is OLD and doesn't have tri-band world-phone GSM 3G of UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ of 850/1900/2100MHz.

Operators worldwide are moving to GSM 3G which is based on WCDMA (similar to VZW in the US and AT&T/T-Mobile) in order to triple network capacity.

They are still running small chunks of old GSM/EDGE 2G for roamers though (it's through the same platform, modular, etc.).

If you only need voice rural I think it's fine.

But if you use a 2G GSM/EDGE phone ONLY in high density urban areas in Europe/Asia/Middle East/South America I think you may have some problems (2G GSM/EDGE has capacity limitations unless the majority of subscribers have moved to 3G GSM in those countries...).

There is a reason AT&T is overlaying their ENTIRE USA 2G GSM/EDGE network with a UMTS/HSPA+ one finishing in year end 2012.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by jghassell
The GPS itself doesn't require a SIM or a data plan, but whatever mapping application you're using (unless it has the maps pre-cached) will require some sort of network connection in order to download maps. That could be wi-fi while you're traveling.

The GPS will work outside of the US if it's like any other GPS chip. I know I've used several US-purchased phones overseas and the GPS has worked flawlessly.
On a related note, it's time for travelling Android users to rejoice. Google Maps now has a simple-to-use, built-in function that will download all the map for a 10 mile area so you can get offline GPS info. No more having to mess around with third-party programs that only work half the time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.