Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I want a cell phone: not an mp3 player, camera, games, IM's, etc. I want a *phone*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I want a cell phone: not an mp3 player, camera, games, IM's, etc. I want a *phone*

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2005, 3:00 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Help.

I have asked some friends about this -- and they've been helpful -- but let me open this up to other who might have wisdom:

Here is what I require in a cell phone: that it be larger than a chiclet, that it makes and receives phone calls, that I can use it (either with PC card or via infrared) as a modem for occasional internet dialups to my isp, and that it have an alarm clock.

I don't need or want: color, mp3 player, camera, games, IM'ing, gprs (Cingular's rates for gprs are usurious and I can't get out of the contract until next year). I don't need it to make me breakfast or draw me a bath. I need it to be a phone.

OK, if you haven't quit reading yet....

My very favorite phone of all time was a Nokia 2160i. I loved the form factor and the simplicity. It fit my big hand. I could use an Ositech PC card modem and cable with it to do internet dialup.

But when I went to GSM I got a Nokia 8390. It was ok, but too small. I did like the ability to use the infrared capability to allow the phone to be used as a modem, and the Nokia software that let me backup my "stuff" to my laptop.

When I moved to Hawaii, the Nokia 8390 didn't work anymore; I needed a tri-band phone that worked on ATT's (now Cingular's, of course) freqs here. I got a Nokia 3120.

I hate it. It's small, it has no volume control, if it has infrared I can't find it. The buttons are too tiny for my fingers, etc., etc.

What would you recommend, given all of the above and knowing that if I could replicate my old Nokia 2160i I would? I am partial to the Nokia menu style (probably because I am familar with it), but would be willing to go with something else. Did I mention that cheap is good? Cheap. Think unlocked-from-eBay that I can drop my sim into. Used is ok.

One friend has recommended the Sony Ericsson R520m. It looks intriguing, but there are only two on eBay.

(if it makes a difference in connectivity, I have a ThinkPad T30 laptop running WinXP Pro)

To those of you who have not pressed the "Back" key or fallen asleep, thank you -- and what would you recommend?
Old May 23, 2005, 4:38 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Here is what I require in a cell phone: that it be larger than a chiclet, that it makes and receives phone calls, that I can use it (either with PC card or via infrared) as a modem for occasional internet dialups to my isp, and that it have an alarm clock.

I don't need or want: color, mp3 player, camera, games, IM'ing, gprs (Cingular's rates for gprs are usurious and I can't get out of the contract until next year). I don't need it to make me breakfast or draw me a bath. I need it to be a phone.
I'd suggest that you take a spin over to the Phone Finder feature on the PhoneScoop.com site. You can pick and choose the features that are most valuable (and/or not desired), along with carriers, data networks, etc., and be presented with a list of phones that meet your criteria. I just tried to create a list from the criteria you specified, but there were parameters I didn't know. From what I did know, there were 10-15 phones listed in the results, so you should be able to find something suitable.
Old May 23, 2005, 5:28 am

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Best ever ever ***phone*** - Nokia 6310i. Can't kill it, great RF performance, bluetooth, infrared, amazing battery life, screen legible in a car kit. Tri-band GSM - 900/1800/1900 - not sure if it was adapted for the US 850 GSM.

Still for sale brand new in Australia at extortionate prices - www.nokia6310i.com.au !!!!

I've still got mine, even though I've been given a Treo 600 by work.

Now there's the sublime to the ridiculous - MP3 player, OK phone, very good email and calendar (when you use Onebridge), and works pretty well in a car kit too. Oh and a really really crappy camera.

Edited to add: The Nokia 6385 is a pretty good beast as well - it's essentially the CDMA version of the 6310. There's a few on eBay that meet your "cheap" specification.

Last edited by willyroo; May 23, 2005 at 5:41 am
Old May 23, 2005, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wanted a new cell phone too; no gadgets. Here's what we did. Since our service is with Verizon and we were already fulfilled our contract, we went to a retailer and asked about a contract extention. We wanted to know what incentives they'd give us to renew for a year. Besides the extra minutes, they gave us 2 free phones: the Motorola V265. While it does have that stupid camera, it has all the basic functions. And it cost us nothing.
Old May 23, 2005, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by willyroo
Best ever ever ***phone*** - Nokia 6310i. Can't kill it, great RF performance, bluetooth, infrared, amazing battery life, screen legible in a car kit. Tri-band GSM - 900/1800/1900 - not sure if it was adapted for the US 850 GSM.
Funny- I've been thinking about getting an unlocked 6310i on ebay as my travel phone (still locked to CDMA here) for a while now, and was wondering whether the love was still there for it!

Thanks for confirming....
Old May 23, 2005, 10:31 am

Both the Ericsson R520 and the more common Nokia 6310i were among the best business-class GSM phones of their generation (durability, battery life, reception, features, etc.), with all the useful 'phone' features and none of the battery-sapping ones unavoidable today. Can't go wrong with either.
Old May 23, 2005, 11:51 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
What are you some kind of luddite or something.
Old May 23, 2005, 12:16 pm

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
I got a Nokia 3120.
I hate it. It's small, it has no volume control, if it has infrared I can't find it. The buttons are too tiny for my fingers, etc., etc.
The 3120 speaker volume can be adjusted by pressing < and > when in a call. No, it does not have infrared.
Big buttons... infrared... Nokia... if you don't mind flip style, I highly recommend the 6170: http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6170.
Old May 23, 2005, 12:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

What are you some kind of luddite or something.

Yes

I'd suggest that you take a spin over to the Phone Finder feature on the PhoneScoop.com site
Will do. Thanks.

Both the Ericsson R520 and the more common Nokia 6310i were among the best business-class GSM phones of their generation (durability, battery life, reception, features, etc.), with all the useful 'phone' features and none of the battery-sapping ones unavoidable today. Can't go wrong with either.

When I got to Hawaii, my 8390 (which was 1900 only) didn't work; the 3120 is 850/1800/1900. So would either the Ericsson or 6310i work?

As many can tell, I'm really not only Luddite but dumb when it comes to cell phone technology.

Thanks to all for the ideas.
Old May 23, 2005, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StarG
...Big buttons... infrared... Nokia... if you don't mind flip style, I highly recommend the 6170: http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6170.

Looks nice indeed, but too pricey for my tastes.
Old May 23, 2005, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by willyroo
I did kill one but I have to say that it took a licking. It lasted me a more than a year, but that is very rare for me so it's a good endorsement.

You can get them on ebay for cheap and I am fairly certain it was adapted to 850.

Otherwise, just general advice, stay away from Motorola and Sony and stick with Nokia. The menuing systems on the Motorolas and Sonys I think would drive you nuts.

And cblais, Cingular generally usues 850 and Tmobile 1900. If you have a nationwide plan and a phone that doesn't accept 850, your phone will be on constant roaming. I roamed for two years until Cingular built a GSM network in NJ and its not a problem. There really isn't much of a disadvantage, and frankly, I think that you would never notice the difference. The main disadvantages is that you can lose some of the network functionality at times but it doesn't seem that youre using those functions anyway. I didn;t (and don't).

Last edited by Darren; May 23, 2005 at 12:42 pm
Old May 23, 2005, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Have you looked at the Samsung x475? It's just like my E105, but without an external antenna. My only beef with the Samsung GUI is that the alarm doesn't include a snooze function. Otherwise, I love it--mainly because it has no camera on it. It might be a little small for your liking, though.
Old May 23, 2005, 12:45 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Spg Gold, HH Gold, AZ Freccia Alata, Hertz Club Gold
Watch Motorola V3.

I have buy it few weeks ago.

Is fanatastic.

Very slim. Very Cool !
Old May 23, 2005, 5:04 pm

When I got to Hawaii, my 8390 (which was 1900 only) didn't work; the 3120 is 850/1800/1900. So would either the Ericsson or 6310i work?
I fear the 6310i and R520 are 900/1800/1900 models. There may or may not be an US version (850/1800/1900) of the Nokia with a slightly different model number, but I don't think the R520 was ever made in such form.
Old May 23, 2005, 5:12 pm

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
My very favorite phone of all time was a Nokia 2160i. I loved the form factor and the simplicity. It fit my big hand. I could use an Ositech PC card modem and cable with it to do internet dialup.
^ ^ ^

The 2160 was my first digital cell phone. It lasted about 2 1/2 years before I replaced it. I still have it in a drawer. I wonder if I could retrofit it for GSM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.