Cell Phones in Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cell Phones in Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Location: Austin TX, AA Platinum for life (who will live longer, me or AAdvantage?)
Cell Phones in Flight

From Today's AA Jetwire:

---QUALCOMM AND AA TEST CELL PHONES IN-FLIGHT---
AA and QUALCOMM, a telecommunications company, will test the concept of using cell phones during flight tomorrow. AA and QUALCOMM executives, union officials and members of the media will be aboard the proof-of-concept test flight, which will depart from and return to DFW. This test will be paid for by QUALCOMM to showcase its new Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital wireless technology installed on the aircraft. Commercial use of this technology is still approximately 24 months away and subject to revision of FCC rules prohibiting cell phone use in flight. American is not obligated to put this technology on board its aircraft.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 1:09 pm

What a Horrible Idea!

After seeing about half of every plane I take immediately turn on their cell phones and call everyone they can think of when we land, the thought of people using cell phones in flight is a nightmare! Having to listen to people's inane conversations through a flight will certainly take any relaxation out of the flight. Once this becomes reality I'll have to start bringing DVDs with headphones to drown out the talkers.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by lunarbrian
Once this becomes reality I'll have to start bringing DVDs with headphones to drown out the talkers.
The better question is why aren't you doing that already to drown out the crying babies?
Old Jul 14, 2004, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by jeffo
This test will be paid for by QUALCOMM to showcase its new Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital wireless technology installed on the aircraft.
I think it'd be cool to be able to use a cell phone, but does this mean that it'll only work with Verizon, being they're the only carrier in the USA that uses CDMA?
Old Jul 14, 2004, 1:33 pm

Location: DFW - AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt - PLT, Hertz Prez
Please dont allow this to happen.. I am tired of hearing everything from dinner menus at home to a urinary tract infection by some idiots who turn on their cell phone the minute the flight lands.

A 2 hour flight with my co-passengers chatting away would be sad.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 1:36 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
or someones hot date in more detail than I'll ever want to know.

My taller half commutes by train twice a week and she is amazed at the type of personal details that she and her fellow passengers are subjected to by blathering idiots. She takes and makes her phone calls in the vestibule or during stops.

I wonder if the airlines will have to create a quiet cabin. No movie, no phones.

lala
Old Jul 14, 2004, 2:03 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
I think it'd be cool to be able to use a cell phone, but does this mean that it'll only work with Verizon, being they're the only carrier in the USA that uses CDMA?
I thought Sprint uses CDMA?

Old Jul 14, 2004, 2:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Which is why I'm glad Acela has a quiet car sometimes...

Sometimes, however, not all quiet areas are immune.. as I was subjected to a loud Russian conversation at the BA Terraces Lounge in LHR. Even though the area was clearly marked as "Quiet" and the chairs were littered with snoozing passengers (myself included), this horrible man kept blabbing.

Old Jul 14, 2004, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 1.7 MM, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
But if I don't pull out my cell phone the exact moment we land then my ride will have to wait an additional two minutes to meet me
Old Jul 14, 2004, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by HeHateY
I thought Sprint uses CDMA?

Sprint does use CDMA.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 2:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Oh, goody! Now I have to listen up there, too? I only hope that even CDMA technology requires cellular technology - meaning we will be flying over vast "no cell" areas and that at aircraft speeds we will have tons of flawed switching and interruptions.

It's bad enough: the wunderkind who was in the DFW AC toilet, making a business call on his cell phone complete with flushing, faucets and, er, flatulence in the background. I was trying to imagine what kind of impression this guy was making on his client - who perhaps thought he was speaking with someone important in the company HQ executive suite?

The woman on AMTRAK California Capitol who spent three hours on the phone, telling different people EXACTLY where she was at the moment, discussing dates, food she liked and didn't like...

(It's bad enough some pilots think they are tour guides and have to give a mile-by-mile running commentary - now we will be subjected to those by loud and ignorant passengers too - SFO - JFK "Oh, look, it's SO flat down there! We must be over that desert, what's it called?" "Wow, look at those mountains - the pilot said they were the Rockies, but they can't be, they're so tiny and flat; aren't the Rockies high?" or SFO - HNL: "Wow, the ocean is SO much bluer than the Pacific is at home!")

Can you hear me now?
Old Jul 14, 2004, 2:16 pm

Programs: EXP
My GSM phone works to about 7,500 feet sometimes higher.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by r3guru
And you know this how?
Old Jul 14, 2004, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA 3MMF EXP, UA 1MMF
I agree with many of you about not wanting to hear cell conversations while in flight, especially considering that US carriers can even deliver a clear conversation while on the ground. I can imagine hearing "Are you there?" or "Can you hear me?" being spoken loudly throughout the flight.

On the other hand, I am generally annoyed by people who talk the entire flight anyway, so never leave home without my iPod and noise cancelling headphones
Old Jul 14, 2004, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Plt
Originally Posted by r3guru
Maybe from a ride on a private airplane? The Cessna I used to fly had solid 1960 technology in it, not much chance of a cell phone disturbing sensitive electronics, in fact I believe it's recommended to take you cell phone with you in case your radio fails, so you can still get in touch with ATC.

Besides, the other day on an Eagle flight, when I wanted to switch off my cell phone, I noticed that it was in my rollaboard, in the luggage compartment. I decided to keep quiet about it, because if I had told someone, I bet they would have had to reopen the door, find my bag, switch off the cellphone etc., and I'm pretty sure that a cell phone is not going to crash a plane... I then turned it off before boarding my connecting flight, though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.