Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T-Mobile SIM card for UK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2004, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

T-Mobile SIM card for UK

Well, I got my Ericsson R520m phone! It looks great. The only problem is that the owner's manual was completely in Portugese (or Italian), but Expansys sending an English manual tomorrow.

I'm concerned about the SIM card for the UK that I now have, however. After charging the phone (the SIM card was inserted before I charged it, like the directions on the CD said), the phone said "no service."

I'm in the US in a moderately rural area, and of course the card is for use in the UK. I was hoping to make a quick call to the phone just to make sure everything worked. But the phone said, "searching for service" and never did "find" service. Even though it would be roaming, shouldn't the phone work in the US?

One thing comes to mind. The SIM card little square cardboard package had a clear plastic covering around it; however, the inside thin cardboard flap that had a seal on it looked like it had been cut, and the words on the seal said, "Do not accept if this seal is damaged or reads 'void.'"

Is it possible that my UK card simply cannot be used in the area in the US where I am now? Or do I possibly have a SIM card that is damaged?

I am confused. I was under the impression that I would be able to use the card in the US (I only wanted to do so to check it out before a trip to the UK -- it is imperative that the phone is in good working order when I arrive).

Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 9:26 pm

Programs: 10-year UA 1K and 2 MM, then AA EXP, now BA Silver; next stop, Kayak
You can download an English manual for the R520m from here

I doubt that a T-Mobile UK prepaid SIM will work in the USA--my Virgin UK SIM doesn't. To check that the phone works, just borrow the SIM from a friend whose US cellphone is with a GSM network (Cingular, T-Mobile, some ATT) and pop it in.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
If your T-Mobile SIM was NEVER activated in the UK it will not work for pre-pay roaming... Most prepay platforms are the same way. The SIM must first be activated (used once) in the home country.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the replies! (I just downloaded the manual)

Two questions, though:

1. If, for some reason, the card does not work in the UK, can I just buy one there? If so, generally where are they purchased?

2. The Top-up card has an expiration date of 13/07 (no other numbers). Normally, I would think that would be a month and a year, but there is no 13th month! Surely, the card can't expire on the 13th of July, can it? Something is amiss.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 11:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Jennifer16

Two questions, though:

1. If, for some reason, the card does not work in the UK, can I just buy one there? If so, generally where are they purchased?

2. The Top-up card has an expiration date of 13/07 (no other numbers). Normally, I would think that would be a month and a year, but there is no 13th month! Surely, the card can't expire on the 13th of July, can it? Something is amiss.
1. You can buy one there. From places at the airport to basically any cell phone store around.

2. I think it is July 2013. [I could be wrong.]

A T-mobile UK prepay that has been activated in the UK should work globally wherever there is a GSM network and T-mobile has a partner roaming agreement.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jennifer16

Two questions, though:

1) yes, absolutely EVERYWHERE. From grocery stores to anything else...

2) yes, July 13th. Topup cards usually have an expiration date of 3-6 months.

Call them on 011 44 7953 966 150 and ask if they have a different number that you can use abroad to topup the card. Is it activated yet, and do you have it's cellphone number yet? If so they might be able to manually apply the topup code to the account.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 10:04 am
Suspended

How's the size?

Jennifer - Just wondering what you think about the R520's size. I've heard differing opinions.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Jennifer, if you get a new SIM card/starter pack on any UK network now you will get an E-Top up card as well. This is binded to your prepay account (no call needed, etc). Use it to add credit to your account at most gas stations, newsagents, supermarkets, etc. The use of vouchers has really started to die off due to this.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 6:52 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
"Just wondering what you think about the R520's size. I've heard differing opinions."
I can't speak for Jennifer, but as a guy, I find it's size OK. Its not tiny as it is not a clamshell. I put it in my shirt pocket and the antenna sticks out of the top of the pocket.
For me this is fine, as I use it as my international cell phone for leisure travel.
I have not had a lot of experiece with these types of phones, but I have a hard time thinking of how I could get a better phone for the money, given the limited uses I put it to. With the high capacity battery I get standby times in excess of 18 days. I rarely take the charger with me internationally because of this.
Nex week I will take to Oz fo 9 days.

Last edited by Vulcan; Jul 2, 2004 at 6:54 pm
Old Jul 3, 2004, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
As others have posted the cards are available everywhere. Two chains, The Link and Carphone Warehouse have locations all over. The Link has at least one store in Heathrow and I think there are places selling cards at Gatwick as well, I just havent bought one there. I did buy my Virgin Mobile SIM card and starter pack at The Link at LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.