Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Looking for a very-very small network hub (not switch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2004, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

So every so often while on the road I need to do some basic network troubleshooting. By network troubleshooting, I'm talking situations where X application's interactions on the network are questionable. The net resultant being utilization of a Network Sniffer. Now, under ideal conditions, you'd patch directly in the Core switch at a location, span the VLAN's and go from there. But often times I'm looking for a real quick simple and dirty "are there 30,000 packets flowing when there should only be 10,000" or things of that nature.

At any rate, usually I'll just find myself a small $30 hub nearby and utilize that. The reason for a hub is that every port receives traffic for every other port. Thus, I can effectively capture almost all traffic on a given hub. Then I simply filter out what I don't want.

Now, in HKG I saw some little USB powered hubs that were smaller than a deck of cards. Does anybody know where to find these? I really want it to be USB powered if possible so I don't have to drag a power supply along. And 3-4 ports is plenty. What I basically want is something small enough that I can toss it into my briefcase in a permanent manner and not notice it, but it's there when I need it. So, having a Netgear hub with power supply is WAY bigger than I'm thinking.

Anybody see anything out there?
Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA General Member
http://www.byteccusa.com/product/network/bt-555LED.htm

I haven't gotten round to actually buying it, but my rationale for having one is pretty much the same as yours.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:29 pm

Is this too big or too much $$$:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=125569

------------------
Michael Steinberg
Editor
BizTrip
www.biztrip.com
A site for travelers by a traveler with 20+ years experience
Please visit my site and let me know what you think.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by businesstraveler:
Is this too big or too much $$$:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=125569

</font>
That's a USB hub...
Old Jan 30, 2004, 9:25 pm

Sorry, I misread the orginal message.

All of the mini Ethernet hub I've seen require regular 120V power. I've never seen a mini Ethernet Hub powered by a USB connection.

If someone knows where to get one, I'm also interested.

------------------
Michael Steinberg
Editor
BizTrip
www.biztrip.com
A site for travelers by a traveler with 20+ years experience
Please visit my site and let me know what you think.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by businesstraveler:
Sorry, I misread the orginal message.

All of the mini Ethernet hub I've seen require regular 120V power. I've never seen a mini Ethernet Hub powered by a USB connection.

If someone knows where to get one, I'm also interested.

</font>
Then you should also read the second link in this thread , I posted that one for jfe 2 weeks ago, it's a USB powered Ethernet hub.

[This message has been edited by ScottC (edited Jan 30, 2004).]
Old Jan 30, 2004, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Is there a USB powered Sonicare toothbrush? I hate to carry the charger with me when I travel.

Old Jan 30, 2004, 10:06 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Then you should also read the second link in this thread , I posted that one for jfe 2 weeks ago, it's a USB powered Ethernet hub.
</font>
And here is the thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000871.html
Old Jan 31, 2004, 1:20 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
</font>
Have you by chance tried either of these products (not a big deal if you hadn't, just curious if you thought they were any good).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.