Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

am I the only who *hasn't* installed SP1 yet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2003, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Call me paranoid, but after all the problems reported late last year re: SP1 for Windows XP, I stayed away.

A few days before XMAS, however, I installed a recently-issued hotfix for my Thinkpad (XP Pro). Result? Huge slowdown in boot up and application launches. De-installed the hotfix, things back to normal.

However, got me thinking. Maybe I should let my laptop recover the factory settings and (*shudder*) re-install all my software, beginning with SP1a.

Anyone else running XP Pro without SP1?
Old Dec 26, 2003, 6:35 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I didn't install SP1 until a couple of months ago when there was a major panic about a virus exploiting a Micorosft security loop hole. Since then, I've just let Microsoft install new patches as and when requiried. Generally, the security risks associated with some of the problems Microsft are fixing are too high to ignore.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 10:02 am

Programs: UA General Member
I've been running sp1 for many months without problems.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 11:18 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Internaut:
I didn't install SP1 until a couple of months ago when there was a major panic about a virus exploiting a Micorosft security loop hole. Since then, I've just let Microsoft install new patches as and when requiried. Generally, the security risks associated with some of the problems Microsft are fixing are too high to ignore.</font>
I agree - I'm usually up-to-date with patches (not done automatically, I check through Windows update every month or so). When I'm on dial-up, I sit behind Zone Alarm Pro and have Pc-Cillin 2003 running. When I'm on the network at work, I sit behind a hardware firewall and, again, ZAP. Have never had a virus - knock on wood.

I think it's time for a complete re-install anyway. Spring cleaning, I'll call it.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 11:42 am

I also keep up with all of the patches and updates for both XP home and Pro on various home and ofice PC's. Though I read about a lawsuit and "all kinds of slowdown" problems as reported by the latest issue of PC World, I haven't noticed any performance problems. Must not be paying attention, I guess.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 11:43 am

I also keep up with all of the patches and updates for both XP home and Pro on various home and ofice PC's. Though I read about a lawsuit and "all kinds of slowdown" problems as reported by the latest issue of PC World, I haven't noticed any performance problems. Must not be paying attention, I guess.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not installing SP1 is IMHO unwise, it's people like that that help virus writers create the havoc they do. Zone Alarm pro and putting all your PC security faith in PC-Cillin and a second rate software firewall is just asking for trouble sooner or later.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 1:55 am
Original Poster

I think that a person who double-clicks on an email attachment ultimately gives virus writers much more to feed on that someone who may not have SP1 but DOES have all other updates.

What makes ZAP second-rate? And why would you suggest that relying on PC-Cillin is "just asking for trouble sooner or later"?
Old Dec 27, 2003, 2:50 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
SP1 is also needed for PROPER USB 2.0 support (not in USB1.1 protocol mode0
Old Dec 27, 2003, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you are playing with fire.

The Windows updates are issued well after there have been security exploits exposed. So you have basically an operating system even more insecure than standard Windows with a number of known exploits possible.

Not a good idea...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.