Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best Computer Power Converter

Old Feb 11, 2003, 10:14 am
Original Poster

What is your preference for your laptop power converter? Is there one that stands above the rest?
Old Feb 11, 2003, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
For a plane I suggest the APC model which provides 75W square-ish sine wave 60 hz 120VAC power. Cheaper than a computer specific airline seat power adapter and comes with a cigarette lighter plug which comes apart if the seat has an Empower little plug thing. NB the seats are 15V DC so a cheap car version won't work as they run in the 11-13.6V DC range.

Disadvantage over a computer specific adapter is that you have a lot of wires - on for the seat to the inverter, then another the original AC-DC copputer power brick and wires. Sit in a window seat so you can dump the wires on the floor.

AA seats so far are cigarette lighter plugs and sometimes you really have to aim well to plug in. A lot of seats even coach to plug into, check their seating charts - they mark the seats with little black dots.

[This message has been edited by ricktoronto (edited 02-11-2003).]
Old Feb 13, 2003, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks. That'll take care of my problem on the flights. Now, how about power converters from 220 to 110 for my laptop? Any suggestions?
Old Feb 14, 2003, 7:18 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BeautifulFeet:
Now, how about power converters from 220 to 110 for my laptop? Any suggestions?</font>
First make sure it's needed. Any portable computer hardware I've used in the last 6-8 years has had a power supply with a 110-240 Volt input rating.

Old Feb 14, 2003, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Until now I've been able to avoid taking my laptop with me.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 6:47 pm

regulated

Hi,
According to this guide, there are two types: filtered and regulated. Apparently you'll want the latter, since power fluctuation is always bad for a laptop's internals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.