iPhone: disallow specific carrier?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone: disallow specific carrier?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by IslesFan
I've had issues where I was unable to use data in Canada with this on.
I keep this on and roamed fine in Canada on two separate trips this year, as well as other countries. I'm on an iPhone SE.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wcj1
I keep this on and roamed fine in Canada on two separate trips this year, as well as other countries. I'm on an iPhone SE.
I also had no problem roaming in Canada. Also, it's easy enough to go to the t-mobile account page again and change the setting. Tim Horton's has free wifi if Internet access is a problem while the roaming isn't functioning. But I've experienced problems with poor data service and went into the carrier selection page and fooled around with which carrier to select, so that's always something to try if somebody is having roaming problems.

There's also another thread about a universal portable wifi called mypokefi, and if it works well, it's a great solution. Not everybody is satisfied with the speed they're getting in every place they've tried to use it, but it looks very convenient, particularly if you have t-mobile roaming as a backup.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:44 am

I live within a few minutes of the US/Canadian border and cross frequently. My problem with ATT was that my phone would try to hold a weak ATT signal in the border region and I finally got ATT to push to my iPhone an update which would allow me to manually force my phone to a US or Canadian carrier even when a US signal was detected. I spent hours on the phone arguing with people to get it and customer supported originally denied it existed. I had to remain firm, polite, and a little bull headed to get the update through.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I live within a few minutes of the US/Canadian border and cross frequently. My problem with ATT was that my phone would try to hold a weak ATT signal in the border region and I finally got ATT to push to my iPhone an update which would allow me to manually force my phone to a US or Canadian carrier even when a US signal was detected. I spent hours on the phone arguing with people to get it and customer supported originally denied it existed. I had to remain firm, polite, and a little bull headed to get the update through.
AT&T carrier unlocked your iPhone. We had a similar problem with one iPhone not sending texts in Vancouver with tier 2 tech pushing the change to the phones. Carrier unlocking is the only method to manually select the carrier. All US cell companies except for Verizon will carrier lock the phones sold.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:17 pm

My phone is carrier unlocked. I have TMobile and a Verizon data SIM in it in the US and an Etisilat SIM in it in the UAE. I''m grandfathered on ATT's unlimited international program so it is the exception (not the rule) for me but definitely unlocked. I got the phone unlocked from the Apple store and it isn't ATT subsidized.

ATT still blocked access to that control. Apple gives the carrier a ton of power over the phone.
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by TGarza
AT&T carrier unlocked your iPhone. We had a similar problem with one iPhone not sending texts in Vancouver with tier 2 tech pushing the change to the phones. Carrier unlocking is the only method to manually select the carrier. All US cell companies except for Verizon will carrier lock the phones sold.
SIM locks on the phone have nothing to do with the visibility of the Carrier Selection menu. It is controlled by provisioning made to the SIM/phone by the carrier itself. This concept goes back to the GSM days.

My US iPhone is on AT&T, and I can assure you it is very much locked to AT&T. However I have the carrier selection menu visible at all times, even in the US, because AT&T enabled it for me. This carried over when I upgraded my phone and moved the SIM card across. If I put a different AT&T SIM in the phone the menu disappears.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D582
SIM locks on the phone have nothing to do with the visibility of the Carrier Selection menu. It is controlled by provisioning made to the SIM/phone by the carrier itself. This concept goes back to the GSM days.

My US iPhone is on AT&T, and I can assure you it is very much locked to AT&T. However I have the carrier selection menu visible at all times, even in the US, because AT&T enabled it for me. This carried over when I upgraded my phone and moved the SIM card across. If I put a different AT&T SIM in the phone the menu disappears.
This is what I've been saying, but he doesn't want to listen.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ajGoes
For future reference, I'd appreciate a link to the Verizon rule if you have it. I'm not doubting the information; I'd just like to see its origin.
From VZW's website: http://www.verizon.com/about/consume...locking-policy
  • We do not lock our 4G LTE devices, and no code is needed to program them for use with another carrier.
And the origins: https://www.cnet.com/news/confused-a...ggie-explains/

One thing to note here in terms of software phone locks is that all Verizon 4G LTE smartphones come unlocked out of the box. The reason why is that the spectrum Verizon is using to build its 4G LTE network had restrictions put on it by the Federal Communications Commission, which required the company to allow "open access" to the network. So as part of this provision, Verizon has decided not to lock those devices. That said, its 3G devices are locked.
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.