iPhone: disallow specific carrier?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone: disallow specific carrier?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2017, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by mickeyjaw
If you use Android instead there is an app called "Roaming control" which can do exactly what you are asking for. I have no idea if there is an equivalent for iOS.
Roaming call correction doesn't seem to understand dual SIM phones which is an issue.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:29 pm

If the iPhone is carrier unlocked, you can change the carrier selection from automatic to manual. This would prevent the international roaming unless you specifically select the carrier.

Our iPhones were carrier unlocked when we had a problem with an iPhone on our last international trip. The Carrier option appears below the hotspot option once the iPhone is carrier unlocked for iOS 10.3.3
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by mickeyjaw
If you use Android instead there is an app called "Roaming control" which can do exactly what you are asking for. I have no idea if there is an equivalent for iOS.
Handy app but won't work for anything running Android 5 or greater because of security changes. There are a couple of others out there which can alert but AFAIK none now can toggle roaming off due to security policies. Roaming Guard is one.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All of these are a lot of work to avoid something which requires "remembering." Just put the "data off" item in your pre-departure check list of important items such as your passport, medications, cash and the like.

The problem with enterprise-level blocking is that there may come a day when you, for one reason or another, are traveling somewhere when you do need to make a data call and you can't.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TGarza
If the iPhone is carrier unlocked, you can change the carrier selection from automatic to manual. This would prevent the international roaming unless you specifically select the carrier.

Our iPhones were carrier unlocked when we had a problem with an iPhone on our last international trip. The Carrier option appears below the hotspot option once the iPhone is carrier unlocked for iOS 10.3.3
Doesn't have anything to do with carrier unlocking. The presence of that menu item is controlled by the SIM in the phone. Verizon, for example, hides it if you're in the US and shows it if you're outside the country.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Doesn't have anything to do with carrier unlocking. The presence of that menu item is controlled by the SIM in the phone. Verizon, for example, hides it if you're in the US and shows it if you're outside the country.
All Verizon iPhones and LTE capable phones are carrier unlocked since the FCC included the condition in a Verizon spectrum purchase by Verizon. The FCC does not have that agreement with the other 3 major US cell companies. Ironically, Verizon also agreed to LTE in rural American but is now ending some rural America cell phone accounts.

It was hidden in our AT&T iphones until the AT&T tech carrier unlocked our iphones. Now we can see and switch from auto to manual for other carriers with the AT&T SIM while in the US. Yes, the option only appears on carrier unlocked iPhones.

From Verizon's website

http://www.verizon.com/about/consume...locking-policy

Device Unlocking Policy

We have a Device Unlocking Policy that covers postpay devices, prepaid devices and the policy for Deployed Military Personnel.

We do not lock most phones or tablets that are activated with our postpay service, either during or after the term of your service contract or Device Payment Plan installment sales agreement.
We do not lock our 4G LTE devices, and no code is needed to program them for use with another carrier.

Last edited by TGarza; Sep 19, 2017 at 6:14 am
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All Verizon iPhones and LTE capable phones are carrier unlocked since the FCC included the condition in a Verizon spectrum purchase by Verizon. The FCC does not have that agreement with the other 3 major US cell companies. Ironically, Verizon also agreed to LTE in rural American but is now ending some rural America cell phone accounts.

It was hidden in our AT&T iphones until the AT&T tech carrier unlocked our iphones. Now we can see and switch from auto to manual for other carriers with the AT&T SIM while in the US. Yes, the option only appears on carrier unlocked iPhones.

From Verizon's website

http://www.verizon.com/about/consume...locking-policy

Device Unlocking Policy

We have a Device Unlocking Policy that covers postpay devices, prepaid devices and the policy for Deployed Military Personnel.

We do not lock most phones or tablets that are activated with our postpay service, either during or after the term of your service contract or Device Payment Plan installment sales agreement.
We do not lock our 4G LTE devices, and no code is needed to program them for use with another carrier.
Then it's a setting in AT&T's SIM card that checks if it's been put in an unlocked phone.

The Carrier menu visibility is controlled by the SIM card. It has nothing (directly) to do with whether the phone is SIM unlocked.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Often1
All of these are a lot of work to avoid something which requires "remembering." Just put the "data off" item in your pre-departure check list of important items such as your passport, medications, cash and the like.

The problem with enterprise-level blocking is that there may come a day when you, for one reason or another, are traveling somewhere when you do need to make a data call and you can't.
But OP said he doesn't want to just turn off data because there's no issue connecting to other networks.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Then it's a setting in AT&T's SIM card that checks if it's been put in an unlocked phone.

The Carrier menu visibility is controlled by the SIM card. It has nothing (directly) to do with whether the phone is SIM unlocked.
Nope. Nothing to do with the SIM. Carriers other than Verizon can prevent the phone from another network. Best Buy carries one model iPhone. Once activated on any carrier other than Verizon, the phone is locked to the carrier until an unlock request is submitted to the carrier. Verizon can not lock LTE phones.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Verizon can not lock LTE phones.
For future reference, I'd appreciate a link to the Verizon rule if you have it. I'm not doubting the information; I'd just like to see its origin.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by wcj1
In your My T-Mobile Profile under "Blocking", there is this option:

Block charge international roaming
- This will prevent the selected line from incurring any international data roaming charges that can be incurred in countries not included in your plan.

Turn that on and that should do what you want.
I did answer the OP's question at the bottom of page 1, but I guess others have missed it.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by wcj1
In your My T-Mobile Profile under "Blocking", there is this option:

Block charge international roaming
- This will prevent the selected line from incurring any international data roaming charges that can be incurred in countries not included in your plan.

Turn that on and that should do what you want.
I've had issues where I was unable to use data in Canada with this on.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope. Nothing to do with the SIM. Carriers other than Verizon can prevent the phone from another network. Best Buy carries one model iPhone. Once activated on any carrier other than Verizon, the phone is locked to the carrier until an unlock request is submitted to the carrier. Verizon can not lock LTE phones.
You and I are talking about different things.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by milepig
The question is specifically related to On-waves, a Cruise Ship cell network that connects when you're out of port (or more accurately, outside normal cell service range). The service isn't included in the T-Mobile Simple Choice plan and is ghastly expensive. I accidentally left it on once, and burned through like $500 in data charges before I got the T-mob warning. They forgave it once, but I've burnt that bridge.

So the question is, I just want to disable my phone from ever connecting to the On-waves carrier, and I can't find a way to disallow a specific carrier forever. I can choose a carrier by turning off automatic, but that's the opposite of what I want, I want the phone to never, ever connect to this specific carrier. I also don't want to disable data since I'd rather the phone connected to every available carrier other than On-waves, since that is typically the only one not covered by Simple Choice where I travel. And, of course I'm now paranoid about forgetting to turn it off again, going to dinner and coming back to find that the ship has cruised out of land service range and I've just spent hundreds of dollars.

Am I missing something obvious?
If I understand what you want to do, go to my.t-mobile.com, log in, click profile, click blocking, and click block charge international roaming.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
For future reference, I'd appreciate a link to the Verizon rule if you have it. I'm not doubting the information; I'd just like to see its origin.
The spectrum auction was in 2008. Here is an article when it was first noticed Verizon was offering unlocked iPhones in 2012 when the spectrum was deployed. Verizon also has to provide LTE is rural America which provides for LTE roaming but not 3G roaming by MVNO's who use Verizon as the carrier. Verizon non LTE phones are sold carrier locked. Their website has the requirements to unlock the phones.

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/24...s-regulations/

The main reason for the unlocked SIM card slot appears to be FCC network access requirements for Block C, the 700 MHz spectrum that Verizon uses for its LTE network. According to the FCC's CFR Title 47 Part 27.16 paragraph (e):
(e) Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b) of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks.
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by TGarza; Sep 19, 2017 at 6:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.