Translating a letter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Translating a letter?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
I would prefer having it on my computer, not my phone. I did a PDF scan and Adobe offers a program which will export it as a Word document, but the free trial and the two inexpensive programs are not available in Israel.

I am going to ask my daughter if she has the expensive program which converts documents.
You can upload the file to Google Drive and use their OCR:
https://support.google.com/drive/answer/176692

Then you can use the Google Drive to translate the letter:
https://support.google.com/docs/answer/187189
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by smc333
Most scanners produce either a JPG or TIFF image and the PDFs made from them are just containers that hold a copy of the image. To a person they look like documents and they look fine when they print, but to a computer they're just a photograph without any textual meaning. So you're unable to copy & paste text from them. Well, you can, but you wind up pasting in a big picture of text, not actual text.

OCR is built into come scanner software and will read the photographs & convert them to actual text which can be copied and pasted.

Whether or not OP can copy & paste text from his PDF would depend on what his scanner's software and any other subsequent software his document was processed by.
Got it. Thank you for the explanation ^^
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Word Lens and Office Lens do it. (As well as the aforementioned Google Translate.)
Originally Posted by CPRich
Google Translate -Free
Word Lens - Free

(ack - late to the party)
Word Lens is no longer available. Google killed it after working the feature into Google Translate (though I find it doesn't work as well).
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
A great free scanner for your phone is called CamScanner. You can take a photo of your document and email it to yourself as a PDF file.
https://www.camscanner.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.