Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

what's the best phone to get if I want one that can pick up LTE in every country?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what's the best phone to get if I want one that can pick up LTE in every country?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "4G" display is controlled by the carrier settings pushed to the phone, which is in turn controlled by the SIM. AT&T displays 4G instead of LTE for marketing reasons, for example.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
The "4G" display is controlled by the carrier settings pushed to the phone, which is in turn controlled by the SIM. AT&T displays 4G instead of LTE for marketing reasons, for example.
that's why I'm confused.

On my dual-sim int'l Galaxy S7 edge, if I put in my AT&T SIM card, it only displays 4G next to the signal strength indicator.

But if I take the same SIM and put it in my iPhone SE or 7, or my Verizon Galaxy S7(which comes unlocked), then it display LTE.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
that's why I'm confused.

On my dual-sim int'l Galaxy S7 edge, if I put in my AT&T SIM card, it only displays 4G next to the signal strength indicator.

But if I take the same SIM and put it in my iPhone SE or 7, or my Verizon Galaxy S7(which comes unlocked), then it display LTE.
That's probably how it's supposed to work--Android doesn't necessarily respect the carrier settings.

Did you check the phone info menu to see what network you're actually on? I bet you're actually on LTE.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
that's why I'm confused.

That would most likely be driven by Verizon's customisations to the standard Samsung firmware.

I believe most people in the US will expect to see LTE, while internationally 4G is more widely used.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
That's probably how it's supposed to work--Android doesn't necessarily respect the carrier settings.

Did you check the phone info menu to see what network you're actually on? I bet you're actually on LTE.
That reminds me of another question I've been wondering for a long time.

How come my iPhones work fine and immediately gives me data access no matter what SIM card I use? On my Android phones, I frequently have to manually add or edit "APN" settings before data will work?(such as my S7 edge, S8 or other LG G5 and V20 phones)
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:41 am

How come my iPhones work fine and immediately gives me data access no matter what SIM card I use? On my Android phones, I frequently have to manually add or edit "APN" settings before data will work?(such as my S7 edge, S8 or other LG G5 and V20 phones)
iOS can 'phone home' to get APN settings depending on the SIM. A lot of Android phones come with APNs pre-programmed for major carriers, but not all do. Generally the "real" carrier SIMs will work right out of the gate but MVNO SIMs often won't. That can happen on iOS as well, though.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:12 am

I have used several international phones with my AT&T sim, and NOT once have I had to enter APN settings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.