iP8 + iWatch 3

Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Yes, similar to what I suspected up in post #50. Still surprised they let it happen. That should have been in the "things to check just before going on stage" checklist.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
And AppleCare+ (or something else sort of like it) will cost a good deal less for the cheaper phones than for say the 8, 8Plus or X.
AppleCare+ for the 8, 7 and 6s are all $129.
The 8Plus is $149, X is $199.
Only the SE is cheaper at $99.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPRich
Yes, similar to what I suspected up in post #50. Still surprised they let it happen. That should have been in the "things to check just before going on stage" checklist.

AppleCare+ for the 8, 7 and 6s are all $129.
The 8Plus is $149, X is $199.
Only the SE is cheaper at $99.
$99 to $199 is a big range. Even $129 to $199 is a big range. I pay for AppleCare+ as I do use phones in the water and most often do so outside of the US and thus can get two included replacements (for no additional co-pay) rather readily on my trips.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Pay with premium credit card and additional year warranty is free.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But $129 to $129 isn't a range - the older 7 and 6s are the same as the new 8.

6s Plus and 7Plus are the same as the 8Plus - $149.

Cost appears to be related to screen size, not phone age.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting note for AppleWatch users - it appears the new cellular functionality is going to require a perpetual cost to use.

When it comes to the new Apple Watch Series 3, Apple (AAPL - Get Report) isn't the only one set to pocket some serious lunch money. As the watch will be able to connect directly to cellular without the need to carry that pesky iPhone around, major networks have the opportunity to charge extra fees to get your watch on the grid.

AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon will charge $10 per month for each Apple Watch.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Interesting note for AppleWatch users - it appears the new cellular functionality is going to require a perpetual cost to use.
That's really much cheaper than I thought. I may get the Bluetooth only version still but I will likely get one. And the $10 cost per month will make me reconsider the cellular version, however. It will likely depend how they work together with the phone, i.e. will the the watch and the phone have the same number.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
That's really much cheaper than I thought. I may get the Bluetooth only version still but I will likely get one. And the $10 cost per month will make me reconsider the cellular version, however. It will likely depend how they work together with the phone, i.e. will the the watch and the phone have the same number.
I remember reading something that said that it'll indeed have the same number on T-Mobile. Not sure about other carriers.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by tmiw
I remember reading something that said that it'll indeed have the same number on T-Mobile. Not sure about other carriers.
It'll be interesting to see how this will work in the UK because as I understand it you can't have two devices with the same number. EE are the exclusive carrier in the UK and so they presumably must have come up with a solution. What put me off is the fact that you still have to have an iPhone and the fact you have to use EE.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
But $129 to $129 isn't a range - the older 7 and 6s are the same as the new 8.

6s Plus and 7Plus are the same as the 8Plus - $149.

Cost appears to be related to screen size, not phone age.
Cost appears related to retail price of the phones, with cheaper phones having lower insurance costs. And in the aggregate, the insurance cost range between the cheaper phones and more expensive phones is rather extensive with its $99 to $199 price tag. Apple's not naive in knowing that consumers with higher priced devices are more able and willing in the aggregate to pay a higher premium for insurance too.

"And AppleCare+ (or something else sort of like it) will cost a good deal less for the cheaper phones than for say the 8, 8Plus or X."
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
It'll be interesting to see how this will work in the UK because as I understand it you can't have two devices with the same number. EE are the exclusive carrier in the UK and so they presumably must have come up with a solution. What put me off is the fact that you still have to have an iPhone and the fact you have to use EE.
I would guess the Watch connectivity is limited to just data?

So you can do iMessage and maybe FaceTime audio calls but not regular voice and SMS?

But think of the times you would need mobile connectivity when you leave the house with just the Watch but not your iPhone.

Maybe you go for a run or a hike and there are apps. to log your activity. But do those apps. need connections? I guess if you want to listen to Spotify or some other streaming service, that's what you're using the data for.

I don't own a Watch, though I may at some point. But if I wanted to go for a run and I needed connectivity, I'd just get an arm band for my iPhone or carry it in hand, rather than pay to connect my Watch.

Now, if the Watch with the connection can let you make phone calls and send SMS (as well as iMessage), then it really would be a self-contained device. In that case, Apple might as well market it to people who don't own iPhones.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by wco81

So you can do iMessage and maybe FaceTime audio calls but not regular voice and SMS?

But think of the times you would need mobile connectivity when you leave the house with just the Watch but not your iPhone.

Maybe you go for a run or a hike and there are apps. to log your activity. But do those apps. need connections? I guess if you want to listen to Spotify or some other streaming service, that's what you're using the data for.

I don't own a Watch, though I may at some point. But if I wanted to go for a run and I needed connectivity, I'd just get an arm band for my iPhone or carry it in hand, rather than pay to connect my Watch.

Now, if the Watch with the connection can let you make phone calls and send SMS (as well as iMessage), then it really would be a self-contained device. In that case, Apple might as well market it to people who don't own iPhones.
I think the cellular versions of the watch can answer and place standard voice calls, at least that was my impression from reading the Apple web page. I was thinking of replacing my Android personal phone with the watch but the Android phone is with a different carrier than my iPhone so I apparently can't do that.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)

From what I understand you can do the full Dick Tracey with the Watch 3 so calls and sms.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Cost appears related to retail price of the phones, with cheaper phones having lower insurance costs.
Hmmm.

$129 AppleCare+ = Screen size: 4.7, 4.7, 4.7, 4.7, 4.7, 4.7 Cost 449, 549, 549, 649, 699, 849

$149 AppleCare+ = Screen size: 5.5, 5.5, 5.5, 5.5, 5.5, 5.5 Cost 549, 649, 669, 749, 769, 799, 949

I'm gonna stick with screen size correlation. Cheap screen replacement is basically the main benefit, and I suspect largest cost to Apple, of service with AppleCare+. Bigger screen, higher cost to replace, higher insurance cost.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/
Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular lets you make a call, send a text, and stream music — even when you leave your phone behind
I think that checks off about everything on your list

This was the live demo - she is having a phone coversation with just her watch.

Last edited by CPRich; Sep 14, 2017 at 1:20 pm
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Hmm so how do you deal with the phone number issue?

That $10 will include a new phone number?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.