Wiki Posts
Search

iP8 + iWatch 3

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by maortega15
Sell it online or trade it in.
All my iPhones were dead or had serious defaults by the time I stopped using them so I would've got 0$ by selling/trading them (or so little that I would prefer keeping them). Bear in mind that I had only three phones over the last decade: iPhone (2008-2010), iPhone 4 (2010-2016) and iPhone 5 (2012-hopefully 2018).

And even if they were in impeccable condition who's going to buy an iPhone that's six years old?

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I could, but it's already over 3 years old and the battery is starting to act funky.
Been there. My battery inflated after 3 years usage (shortly after I got it from a relative). Changed the battery myself but the screen is slightly bend outwards.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
And even if they were in impeccable condition who's going to buy an iPhone that's six years old?
I was able to sell my 4s for 20 bucks a few days ago!

Sell it for 20 bucks rather than have it sit as a paperweight and collect dust.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by stimpy
I see at https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/specs/ that the X and the 8 as well are a good bit heavier than my iPhone SE which is 113 grams. I guess with the newer processor they have to add more battery weight.
Probably more to do with the glass front and back?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by maortega15
Sell it for 20 bucks rather than have it sit as a paperweight and collect dust.
The iPhone 4 went straight to the dump (dropped it of at an electronics recycling point). The screen was completely done (accidentally dropped the phone a month or so after switching to the 5). Doubt that I would've gotten 20$.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Xeno
Does anyone think the iP X will actually be available to order on Oct 27? The wait is going to be a challenge for me.
Yes

Is there a reason you don't think the date they just announced that it will be available to order isn't the date it will be available to order?

Originally Posted by wco81
I think the prices are higher, including the lowest priced iPhone 8 starting at $699 and the iPhone 8 Plus at $799 because of higher NAND prices.
The $649 7 had 32GB, the $699 8 has 64GB storage. 64GB NAND looks to cost about $4, so I can't see a huge price increase having an impact.
I see at https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/specs/ that the X and the 8 as well are a good bit heavier than my iPhone SE which is 113 grams. I guess with the newer processor they have to add more battery weight.
The 5 and 5s were even lighter. That'll happen when the entire phone is smaller . On a weight per screen area basis, the 8 and X are 5-20% lighter. On a weight per total volume basis, they're all within a few percentage points.

Last edited by CPRich; Sep 13, 2017 at 1:38 pm
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by CPRich
Yes

Is there a reason you don't think the date they just announced that it will be available to order isn't the date it will be available to order?
My memory is not reliable but I thought a previous delayed order was delayed yet again. Then again this is partly my frustration wanting the X for October trips.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know what you mean by a delayed order.

Apple has never announced a shipping date for a phone before the phone was introduced, including yesterday for the X. And AFAIK, they're never missed an announced shipping date.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The 5 and 5s were even lighter.
? The 5S is only 1 gram lighter than the SE. These two phones are so identical that Apple had to print the letters SE on the back so people would know the difference.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK, 1 gram lighter is lighter, no? Point being - all the small phones are lighter than bigger phones. It's not due to more battery for a new processor.

Not that specs mean a lot, but...
The first iPhone X and iPhone 8 benchmarks are here, and they’re a nightmare for Android

Apple’s next iPhones will crush Android when it comes to overall performance
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Except I do use other features of a Smartphone. I just don't often listen to music or play podcasts from it.
in that case, a discounted iphone SE, 6s or 7 should be a better fit for you.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Vaucluse
in that case, a discounted iphone SE, 6s or 7 should be a better fit for you.
And AppleCare+ (or something else sort of like it) will cost a good deal less for the cheaper phones than for say the 8, 8Plus or X.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by GUWonder
And AppleCare+ (or something else sort of like it) will cost a good deal less for the cheaper phones than for say the 8, 8Plus or X.
Do the US operators not have free phone insurance if you are on one of the higher usage plans? That's what I have with Orange and I recently got a brand new SE after the screen cracked on the original.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:23 am
Suspended

Do the US operators not have free phone insurance if you are on one of the higher usage plans? That's what I have with Orange and I recently got a brand new SE after the screen cracked on the original.
Operators in the US have some such option for insurance, but I don't recall it being free as it generally involves a payment supplement with the insurance often being provided by an outside insurance company.

I've found AppleCare+ useful for my US iPhone purchases as I can just drop into Apple stores abroad and get up to two replacements included within 2 years. And so I've not really been interested in mobile phone service companies' marketed device protection insurance. I've not seen it included for no additional charge, but I'm not really looking.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Xeno
I know not many here jump on new Apple devices, but my office provides new Apple phones and iPad as I order them.

I bought an iWatch2 (on my own) and my office + personal computers are all Windows 10.

Last year the big September announcements came just as I left for or as I was flying to Brazil. It was tricky getting all the information correct to place my order which didn't start well due (in part) to my location.

This year Apple will release info on an iP8 and new iWatch one day before I go to China. Again I expect complications in tracking all the news and trying to place an order.

My real question is what web does the best job of forecasting what might be formally announced on Sept 12 (regarding iP8 + iW3)?
I'll try to help the OP get back on topic and away from the android trolling.

I use the macsurfer.com site frequently, mainly because it is specifically an Apple news aggregator and generally a tech aggregator, also. So, if you want a site that will give links to all of the Apple news/rumors, etc. on a daily basis, this is the website that I would choose first. Then you can choose the specific websites you want to visit by clicking on the various links provided on macsurfer.com
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:52 am
Suspended

Under an image from Star Trek's Mirror, Mirror episode, he suggested that if you had an evil twin you should probably use a passcode as an alternative.

And yes, Face ID didn't work the first time, so he mumbled something about "a backup" and moved on quickly. It seemed to work the next few times he used it.

Explanation for the situation:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/14...-fail-keynote/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.