iP8 + iWatch 3

Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Duke787
Well you cut the second part of my quote which said "if comparing to the top line competitors since it's basically just an iPhone 7S"

I'm sure millions will buy it but it doesn't play in the top of the line battle which to me are iPhone X vs. Samsung S8 vs. Samsung Note vs. Google Pixel 2.
Well most of the volume will be for iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, not iPhone X. It will also outsell the S8, Note 8 and Pixel 2.

The A11 SOC will be faster than whatever Qualcomm SOCs that those Android phones use.

Question will be how the cameras compare.

I don't know if the Android phones can record 4K60? It's new on iOS.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by javabytes
I pretty much agree. I have a 6S Plus. Losing the Touch ID sensor and replacing it with Face ID is dumb. I don't want to have to look at my phone to unlock it - plenty of situations where that would be inconvenient. It would be fine to have as an option in addition to Touch ID, but not as a replacement for it.

I'm not a huge fan of the way they handled the screen at the top of the phone. Seriously, just shave off that 3mm vertical of screen space at the corners.

And come on... $1000 for a phone? I know Samsung is pushing into that territory, but really...
I have a 6S Plus that I just paid the last installment on. It's still plenty fast, though iOS 11 may slow it down.

I guess I could sell it after unlocking but whatever I could get probably won't replace the functionality it provides. I saw that Apple is offering up to $260 trade in but that's probably for a 7 Plus with maxed out storage.

Even $260 would not be enough for me to trade it in. I'd rather keep it, even if I do buy a new iPhone.

It sounds like the OLED screen looks great but I don't watch longer videos like TV shows or movies which would have HDR support.

Meanwhile FaceID sounds like a huge step back in usability when it comes to Apple Pay -- far more steps to get it to work, vs. just putting the phone on the POS and authenticating with TouchID.

More than likely, Apple will try to get TouchID working through the screen for next year. So no way I'm going to get an iPhone X, to be stuck with inferior Apple Pay user experience.

Will I still get iPhone 8 Plus? Probably, to see what they do with AR and probably a better camera.

Though most of the iPhone photos I take are panos and I see that despite the increase to 12 Megapixels, the panos still max out at 63 Megapixels, the same as the 6S and 7 Plus models.

I don't have a 4K TV yet but 4K60 video recording sounds intriguing. I think this might be one of the first 4K60 capture device out there, other than pro or prosumer video cameras.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by maortega15
Curious to know how so
On mine, the lightning port only charges if you push the cable to one side. Sometimes I need to wrap the cord under or around something to keep tension on the cable so it will charge. Just plugging it in doesn't register as connected.

I've tried compressed air to blow out any debris, but it didn't help.

I also get about 3.5 hours of battery life, but that's just 3 years and many hundred charge cycles. $109 for a battery would fix it.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by wco81
I have a 6S Plus ..
Even $260 would not be enough for me to trade it in.
I was playing with Ebay's "what's it worth" app the other day. My 64GB 6 was worth a net $270 or so - I'm sure a 6S+ is a lot more.

EDIT: I still have it installed. 64GB = $335 net. I thought it would be more
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
On mine, the lightning port only charges if you push the cable to one side. Sometimes I need to wrap the cord under or around something to keep tension on the cable so it will charge. Just plugging it in doesn't register as connected.

I've tried compressed air to blow out any debris, but it didn't help.

I also get about 3.5 hours of battery life, but that's just 3 years and many hundred charge cycles. $109 for a battery would fix it.
Then time for a new phone.

But is it justifiable for you to get the X or 8 over the 7?!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by javabytes
I pretty much agree. I have a 6S Plus. Losing the Touch ID sensor and replacing it with Face ID is dumb. I don't want to have to look at my phone to unlock it - plenty of situations where that would be inconvenient. It would be fine to have as an option in addition to Touch ID, but not as a replacement for it.

I'm not a huge fan of the way they handled the screen at the top of the phone. Seriously, just shave off that 3mm vertical of screen space at the corners.

And come on... $1000 for a phone? I know Samsung is pushing into that territory, but really...
Using TouchID to activate ApplePay/contactless payment for public transport seems a better thing than using FaceID to activate such payment for public transport use.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I live in Europe and over here the iPhone X costs 1159 which is about $389 more than if I buy in the US, not counting sales tax. So I guess it would only make sense to buy this phone on my next trip to the US. I assume I can buy one unlocked at any Apple Store, right?

Then I have to figure out which Apple Store has the lowest local sales tax.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by WorldLux
You could always sit this one out. I'm still using the iPhone 5 and decided to keep it running for another year. After that I'll have to rethink it: Maybe a new iPhone, maybe a used 6/6S of a family member switching to a new one. Hate to throw out things that are still in perfect working condition...
I could, but it's already over 3 years old and the battery is starting to act funky. I keep them until they almost die, and I think it may be on its way out.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Vaucluse
It'll be a big deal if you're charging the phone while using your phone to listen to music or podcast (unless you're using bluetooth headphones).
Won't likely be an issue for me, since I really only use my phone, well, as a phone.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:27 am

If I am only replacing 1 iPhone, I would probably go with the X. But I have 6 iPhone 6 needed to be replaced, I have to see which carrier will come out with the best upgrade options.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Yesterday the first live demo of face ID failed so he used passcode. Do I remember this right?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Won't likely be an issue for me, since I really only use my phone, well, as a phone.
I was in an electronics store today and saw a new model regular mobile phone, a Nokia, for sale. Not a smartphone at all. Just a phone, calls and SMS. What a concept! Only about 60 bucks.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:34 am

Except I do use other features of a Smartphone. I just don't often listen to music or play podcasts from it.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Using TouchID to activate ApplePay/contactless payment for public transport seems a better thing than using FaceID to activate such payment for public transport use.
I am glad I gave an Apple Watch to use for Apple Pay.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Xeno
Yesterday the first live demo of face ID failed so he used passcode. Do I remember this right?
I didn't watch the event. Did they say anything about identical twins on face ID? My niece was looking at the X yesterday on her laptop and I told her that it means your sister (identical twins) can unlock your phone anytime. She went... hmmm....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.