Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iphone 8 thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I'm open to buying the iPhone 8, especially if there ends up being a dark mode in iOS. OLED significantly helps with battery life as long as the UI uses darker colors (e.g. white text on a dark gray/black background).

Originally Posted by livebetter_travelmore
I'll take a wait-and-see. I'm particularly interested in seeing how the home-button rumors work out. If in fact Apple was unsuccessful implementing touch-id under the glass and the other rumor plays out -- i.e. facial recognition -- then I'll definitely hold out. I'm very happy with touch-id and Apple Pay. Though there are relatively few places in the US with terminals that accept Apple Pay, I've used it lots in other countries and don't want to lose that feature.
I generally double-tap on the Home button instead of relying on the phone to detect the NFC field; it was a lot faster with my old iPhone 6 in my experience. (However, there might not be much difference with the 6s and above.) I mention this because facial recognition might not be a huge issue if NFC is set to turn on whenever the phone is unlocked, which is what Android Pay seems to do. Of course, facial recognition still needs to unlock the phone reliably.

Originally Posted by CPRich
2 million Feb 2016, 4 million and 35% of all retailers as of Dec 2016, I'd project to 5-6M and nearly 50% today - what do you consider "relatively few"?

I use it all the time, everywhere. The slowdown and uncertainty around EMV certainly helped adoption.
50% in theory, but how are those places distributed and can one actually use it at all of those places? In my experience a lot of major stores don't train their employees all that well, don't even mention NFC capability on the screen (despite being enabled) and/or make terminals difficult to impossible for customers to access. Realistically it's probably less than 50% considering all that, but it has gotten better.

Originally Posted by livebetter_travelmore
In the US, virtually no restaurants -- I've only seen one exception -- provide handheld terminals to use Apple Pay (or any credit card) at the table unlike many other countries.
Restaurants in general are really reluctant to spend money unless they absolutely have to. Low usage of contactless payment + chip and signature + potential (and possibly actual) backlash from customers due to bringing the terminal to the table == keeping things the way they are. More likely what'll happen is restaurants will start letting people pay their bills via mobile apps instead, which accomplishes much the same thing but without requiring nearly the investment that replacing terminals requires.

That said, California Pizza Kitchen and Denny's will let you use Apple Pay but you'll have to pay at the counter.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: WN A-List
The problem I have with Apple Pay is that there's no easy way to determine if a store accepts it. Sometimes they have the wifi looking symbol and don't take it. Having to memorize the names of stores that accept it or asking the cashier kind of defeats the purpose (and the cashiers don't know sometimes.)

I'm planning to get the iPhone 8. I'm not thrilled at the idea of losing Touch ID but one of the mics is failing on my 6S+ so I'm not sure if I could get another year out of it.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:37 pm

An OLED screen on the next iPhone would be as monumental an upgrade as the Retina screen on the iPhone 4.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I was seriously annoyed this morning when I was on the bus and not one but two people wanted to pay with ApplePay. I've nothing against the technology but I do object when people aren't ready to pay with it and hold the bus up. One woman still had her phone in her bag and took a minute to find it.
Chances are this same woman wouldn't have had her Oyster card ready either.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I was seriously annoyed this morning when I was on the bus and not one but two people wanted to pay with ApplePay. I've nothing against the technology but I do object when people aren't ready to pay with it and hold the bus up. One woman still had her phone in her bag and took a minute to find it.
I seriously do not understand peoples' annoyance at people who hold up the lines. Being annoyed will not make the lines move faster and is counterproductive to one's own mood.

What will make the lines move faster are solutions as implemented in places like NYC and Seattle -- where riders scan their transit cards at the bus stop, before the bus arrives.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
What will make the lines move faster are solutions as implemented in places like NYC and Seattle -- where riders scan their transit cards at the bus stop, before the bus arrives.
It's only on select routes at least in NYC.

But what happens when people run towards the bus while the driver waits even longer?!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:21 pm

I seriously do not understand peoples' annoyance at people who hold up the lines. Being annoyed will not make the lines move faster and is counterproductive to one's own mood.

Agreed. Traveling since it is based on a que and gate check concept can be slowed when people are not prepared for TSA or to pay when they are in a line when payment is expected for a bus or any other item. I take advantage of every opportunity to shorten my wait.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
An OLED screen on the next iPhone would be as monumental an upgrade as the Retina screen on the iPhone 4.
I'm not sure about that. Apple seems to prioritize color accuracy over vividness, so things might not look much different if/when they adopt that technology. The main difference will be battery life, but even then that'll depend on whether iOS continues to keep a lot of its lighter-colored UI.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Chances are this same woman wouldn't have had her Oyster card ready either.
That's always possible and as I say I've nothing against the technology. Although another woman just waved her bag in front of the reader and the Oyster card was read from inside.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
My annoyance was because we'd been waiting for the bus for ages and the delay caused us to miss the lights. These lights are at a crossroads and missing them adds at least two minutes to your journey, more if there are vehicles in front. I wouldn't have been quite so annoyed if I wasn't running late for work already through no fault of my own.

They don't take cash anymore on London buses which has speeded things up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.