Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lowest cost option for Google Fi phone

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Lowest cost option for Google Fi phone

What is the least cost option for getting a phone that is compatible with Google Fi? Are any independent brands (i.e. not sold by Google) compatible or can one get it anywhere else at a lower cost than in the US?

Finally, is there anyway to subscribe to a data only plan - no voice or text?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by puchong
What is the least cost option for getting a phone that is compatible with Google Fi? Are any independent brands (i.e. not sold by Google) compatible or can one get it anywhere else at a lower cost than in the US?

Finally, is there anyway to subscribe to a data only plan - no voice or text?
There are the usual options: eBay, Swappa, Craigslist(RISKY!), and otherwise directly from Google/Project Fi. However, one thing to consider on the non-authorized sources is that there could be a lack of warranty. This is a bigger issue on the 6p and 5x since they are prone to issues like boot looping and early-shutdown.

The only compatible phones for signing up with Fi are the Nexus 6, Nexus 6p, Nexus 5x, Pixel, Pixel XL.

There is no data-only plan available.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:43 pm

Do you see any reason for Google to open it up to other phone makers ?

It would be nice to have some lower cost new phones
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:45 pm

Any LTE phone will work with a Fi sim in it..... with the proviso that it'll only connect to T-Mobile towers, not Sprint.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisrozon
Any LTE phone will work with a Fi sim in it..... with the proviso that it'll only connect to T-Mobile towers, not Sprint.
Sorry dumb questions, since I know so little about the subject:
  • Can one sign up to the plan and get a Fi SIM without buying a phone?
  • What is the disadvantage of connecting to T-Mobile and not Sprint?
  • If T-Mobile is to buy Sprint, then does this make a difference?
  • Does it have any impact on international data coverage if I use a generic LTE phone?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I believe that the Fi sim must still be activated by one of the Fi compatible phones listed above and then can be put into an unlocked LTE GSM phone compatible with the T-mobile network. This is how people get Fi on an iPhone or Samsung phone.

Connecting to the T-mobile network gets you coverage in areas Sprint doesn't yet provide and gets you the global roaming coverage part of the Fi program

If the LTE phone doesn't work on the frequencies needed by the Tmobile roaming partner you won't get service.
Secondhand Fi compatible phones are available but be smart about how you purchase them (avoid Craigslist).
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:47 pm

Sorry dumb questions, since I know so little about the subject:
  • Can one sign up to the plan and get a Fi SIM without buying a phone?
  • What is the disadvantage of connecting to T-Mobile and not Sprint?
  • If T-Mobile is to buy Sprint, then does this make a difference?
  • Does it have any impact on international data coverage if I use a generic LTE phone?
- You need a Fi phone to activate the plan and sign up
- Depending on the area, the service quality varies. However, Fi is supposed to learn this over time automatically.
- No idea, sorry
- It doesn't matter, after the plan is activated, you can use the SIM wherever you wish

I just want to note that once a Fi phone is used to activate a plan, it cannot be used to open another plan while the first is activated. This is an issue if you buy a used phone where someone has used it to start a Fi plan and has not cancelled it. Not to imply anything about your intent, I would encourage you to hold on to the phone and not "buy, activate Fi, sell" the phone not only for ethical reasons but also to protect yourself if issues come up.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
[*]Can one sign up to the plan and get a Fi SIM without buying a phone?[*]What is the disadvantage of connecting to T-Mobile and not Sprint?[*]If T-Mobile is to buy Sprint, then does this make a difference?[*]Does it have any impact on international data coverage if I use a generic LTE phone?[/LIST]
You can sign up for a Fi plan without buying the current Pixel phone and do a BYOD. For optimal coverage, especially if you plan to travel international - at least a Nexus 6 (DW still using hers, loved the 6" screen & very good battery life, in mint condition after 2 years) Or, get the newer Nexus 5X, just got Nougot 7.1.2 custom Rom on it, loved it ... don't need the bells & whistles from the Pixel - I see at least another 12 to 18 months duty out of it, just replaced the glass protector in the Poetic bumper case. A pre-owned one on Swappa $210 in near mint condition ... they are being brought as soon as listed.
https://swappa.com/listing/PJF415/view

These have a wide range of support for assorted LTE bands and support WiFi calling, unlike the average Android smartphone out there ... 2,100 and 2,600 Mhz come in very handy abroad, even for voice calls. Your other choice might be an iPhone 6 or higher, not going to cost you less - getting it activated on Fi's data only sim was a bit tricky but it worked, nice to be able to use one as a portable hotspot for tethering @ $10 per GB outside the U.S.

We have a Fi data-only Sim and it does move around - among different devices with ease, but, the network does scan/check for IMEI (see post above on caution about borrowing someone's Fi phone to activate the voice sim).

(P.S. check on eBay & Amazon about brand new/FRU Nexus 6, 32GB model priced around $200 ... un-realistic to expect a mid/high end Nexus device at a dirty cheap, giveaway price ... a good seller/retailer will offer at least a 30 days warranty, more than enough time to use & check it out for any OEM issues or defects) Google will also finance your Pixel with a credit check as noted below

Last edited by Letitride3c; Jun 20, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
You can probably get a Nexus 6 for very cheap.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
You can probably get a Nexus 6 for very cheap.
Well, on the Google Fi site the only models listed are the Nexus 6P, 5X & Pixel. The Nexus models are sold out and the Pixels start @ $649 + tax - which, for me personally, is an obscene amount to pay for a phone.

So keeping in mind the caveat of avoiding used phones, how does one get Fi for less money?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Purchasing a new Nexus 6P or 5X from a different retailer?
Another option that may not help you but is out there is the pay over time feature starting at $15/mo.

Well, on the Google Fi site the only models listed are the Nexus 6P, 5X & Pixel. The Nexus models are sold out and the Pixels start @ $649 + tax - which, for me personally, is an obscene amount to pay for a phone.

So keeping in mind the caveat of avoiding used phones, how does one get Fi for less money?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion

You don't have to buy the phone from Google Fi. Any of the devices that are eligible will work regardless where you purchase them. There are new Nexus 6 available on eBay for $220. Then you just order a free SIM from Fi and put it in the phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.