Wiki Posts
Search

Issues with 6/15/17 Apple App Specific Passwords

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Issues with 6/15/17 Apple App Specific Passwords

I did get notice in advance of 6/15/17 that Apple would require an app specific password when using Ms Outlook 2016.

I deferred action until this morning and so far I am not able to regain use of one of my Apple emails in Outlook.

It turns out that particular email is perhaps my third Apple ID. (#1 on my devices; #2 on spouse devices).

At this point, deleting and reinstalling the iCloud account stalls on the password. Of course my original password does not work but neither does the app specific password generated by Apple ID #1 .

Since I cannot do the two-factor authentication for Apple ID #3 , I looked at what Apple calls two-step verification but that has not worked in my favor as yet.

Advice is appreciated. The question in play is how do I generate an app specific password for the @me account?

Below are relevant links:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204152

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204397

https://www.msoutlook.info/question/...p-verification
Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
I had a similar problem. Rather than an app specific password, I had to append the six digit 'approval' code from my trusted device to my usual password. might be worth a try.

That said, I just tried this. I setup an app-specific password (looks like asdf-asfw-xizx-zxcd) following exactly the instructions at HT204397, in the section titled "Generate an app specific password".

Then I setup Outlook as follows:
File ->Accounts ->New Accounts
Choose "Other".
Enter [email protected] as the email address.
Enter asdf-asfw-xizx-zxcd as the password (This was provided in the Generate step above).
Click Ok.
Done, and I was instantly receiving emails.
That was the fastest email client setup ever. Ever. Nice job, MS.

My account, though uses two-factor auth. Is yours using two-step? According to apple's page, it should work exactly the same way.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Thanks for this helpful response.

It is good to know that I must delete and reinstall my iCloud account as I had hoped I would simply have to just enter the new password when it was generated by Apple. (This issue is found with both Ms Outlook and W10 Ms Mail.) It is also helpful to see that one must include the dashes as I got the same kind of formula from Apple ID #1 .

In the meantime, I finally made some progress on two-step verification with Apple ID #3 . However, Apple now insists I must wait 72 hours before the next step so I am not positive this will resolve my issue or not since I cannot access Apple ID #3 on an Apple device.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.