Wiki Posts
Search

Virtual Israeli phone number with cheap forwarding to US number

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Just an agent. I'll have to set a reminder to cancel it.

I can't find any mention of virtual local numbers at www.golantelecom.co.il, though www.golanusa.net says they come with the "Unlimited Pro ₪99" plan.
Golan "All Inclusive NIS 99 Plan"

"My International Number" - this is a virtual number that you choose for any country.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another note - Golan isn't known as the best. When you're here for 3 weeks, this is probably the most convenient (unless Annatel, posted above, also ships abroad), because it puts everything into 1 plan with 1 cost/charge. They're not bad, and I know many people who have Golan and are big fans. I just wanted you to know!

When it comes to canceling at the end, you can cancel directly with them or can cancel online at an Israeli website that deals with canceling telecommunications (this way, you don't need to deal with the provider trying to convince you to stay). The problem is, it's only available in Hebrew, Arabic, and Russian. If you know or have someone near you who knows those languages, you're good to go. Otherwise, let me know if you need help! It's called netek.co.il, and you fill out the form, it emails you, and you click the confirmation in the email, and then the company must disconnect you within 48 hours.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:39 am

Disconnecting from Golan Telecom is very easy, you ask for the line to be cancelled on their website, they give you a form to sign and e-mail back to them and that's it.

The only issue is that it is all in Hebrew
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Just an agent. I'll have to set a reminder to cancel it.
Wow.. US$19 "delivery" to get it sent 5-day ground...

Any other time I'd say that's a complete rip-off, but having been through the process of trying to get a Golan SIM delivered in Israel, I'd say it's money well spent!!

As far as canceling, if you think you'll be back again keep in mind that they have a 9.90 NIS/month plan that you can use as a holding plan. Just keep in mind that their plans are based on a fixed date (something like the 26th of the month), so plan changes (and all charges) happen on that date regardless of when you actually make the change.

Personally I just keep mind on the 9.9 plan at all times. Doesn't give a US virtual number if that's what you're after, but I already have one of those via voip.ms, which I just forward to my Golan number when I'm in country. (Although use Callcentric over voip.ms if you're setting that up - for calls to Israel they are cheaper)

My only real issue with Golan (once I got the SIM successfully delivered!) was that they wouldn't accept any of my US credit cards, so I ended up having to use paypal for the month charges.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
As far as canceling, if you think you'll be back again keep in mind that they have a 9.90 NIS/month plan that you can use as a holding plan. Just keep in mind that their plans are based on a fixed date (something like the 26th of the month), so plan changes (and all charges) happen on that date regardless of when you actually make the change.
The only downside is that you have to pay a "change" fee (I think it is 49NIS) to switch a plan, I also keep their SIM as I visit TLV several times a year, and with the free minutes to landlines in both AMS and CPT, it's a bargain, cheaper than using skype...
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I received the SIM in just a few days. Golan USA pops up a recommendation to use an American Express card, but I gave them my MileagePlus Explorer Mastercard and called Chase to let them know that charges from Golan in Israel would be coming. Nothing has hit the account, but I haven't activated the SIM yet.

Golan USA was quite communicative until they sent the SIM. Since then, they haven't answered a follow-up email I sent. I think they set up my account for me - something I was not able to do on the Israeli site because it asked for some bit of information I couldn't provide, even when I tried to use a hotel address. If they did, I'd kind of like to know the login credentials. I'm funny that way.

If I don't hear from them tomorrow I'm going to send another email.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you ever get an email from Golan themselves?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Not yet, no. I should have mentioned that the Golan USA site has its own "Activate SIM" link. Maybe that one also walks you through setting up a Golan Israel account. I don't want to activate my SIM yet so I don't know what's going to happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.