Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Map App for Inflight

Map App for Inflight

Old May 28, 2017, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PLT-Pro, Priority Club Plt, Hilton Gold, Hyatt
Map App for Inflight

I'm looking for an app for my iPad that will show my current location while inflight. I realize I'll need to be sitting near a window. Maps.me used to work well and it even showed altitude and speed. Something changed so that it now only shows locations (and even that's a bit spotty). Any suggestions? I'm not trying to navigate by this just interested in being able to look out the window and know what's nearby.
Old May 28, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
I've been experimenting with Flyover Country app on my iPhone, but sometimes I find the GPS tracking to be poor, maybe the fuselage gets in the way, or my iPhone 6S+ isn't working right?

http://fc.umn.edu/
Old May 28, 2017, 8:15 pm

Google Maps work fine for me for this purpose. There seems to be a basic map of the US available without an Internet connection. If your plane has Gogo wireless I've also found that content from Google's domain comes through without paying including Google Maps.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:02 am

Here WeGo is an Apple app that uses downloadable maps. It is configurable by region so you only need to use storage for areas you are going to visit. It will work in flight as it only requires a GPS fix for accurate positioning. I believe the app and it's downloads are still free also.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:27 pm

Pocket Earth on iOS is my favorite. I've used it to track many of my flights, and as long as the phone has GPS connection, it perfectly tracks my trip. Altitude, speed, etc.

Just remember to download the maps before your flight

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.