Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

T Mobile ends 200 mb data for life

Old May 8, 2017, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan

Ended for tablets bought after May 7. If you get a new tablet and switch the sim, it does not follow you to the new tablet.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/8/15...ife-deal-ended
Old May 8, 2017, 9:05 pm

I hope they at least keep the 200mb on active tablets for a few years ,

I bought an iPad 2 3G just to have it for a back-up , it sure does not take long to eat up that 200mb even just doing email !
Old May 8, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
I saw this yesterday as I was activating it on my dad's new iPad. I guess it was good timing.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I have been using the 200MB plan on my iPad for several years now as a fail safe for when I am away from wifi. More recently I have started purchasing the 5GB for 5 months upgrade when I run out of data. I am hoping that plan at least sticks around as it is a great value for occasional use on the tablet when on the road.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
I, still, have this on our iPad mini (Sprint variant w. 4G/LTE) for backup - as Project Fi's data-sim only is great for global travel vs. T-Mo's domestic only option. 200 MB would probably be adequate for 2 or 3 days of moderate use, maybe a little more depending on one's setup, when out of reach of a good WiFi signal.

Did a factory reset on the iPad mini and happy to report that the IMEI was recognized and settings restored, and is still working on the same iPad mini - despite using my alternate Apple ID to configure it for different usage (purchased Apps shared as Family)
Old May 15, 2017, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by adambadam
I have been using the 200MB plan on my iPad for several years now as a fail safe for when I am away from wifi. More recently I have started purchasing the 5GB for 5 months upgrade when I run out of data. I am hoping that plan at least sticks around as it is a great value for occasional use on the tablet when on the road.
Do you have a link for the 5GB - 5 month link ?

I asked about that at the Tmobile store when I set my iPad up after Christmas and they could not find it,

Thanks
Old May 18, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Someone at T-Mobile (non-retail) told me the basic offer will come back but only as bundled SIM cards that will ship with devices. This will not likely include the iPad or Surface and that this offer resulted in a lot of administrative overhead.
Old May 18, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Do you have a link for the 5GB - 5 month link ?

I asked about that at the Tmobile store when I set my iPad up after Christmas and they could not find it,

Thanks
I see it on my iPad when I go to Settings/Cellular Data/Manage T-Mobile account/Get day/week data passes

I can't get over what a great deal this plan is. I was expecting it to be a short term promotion, but it has remained available since I got my iPad Air 2 in September 2015.
Old May 20, 2017, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by KevinSFO
I see it on my iPad when I go to Settings/Cellular Data/Manage T-Mobile account/Get day/week data passes

I can't get over what a great deal this plan is. I was expecting it to be a short term promotion, but it has remained available since I got my iPad Air 2 in September 2015.
on my old iPad 2 ( not an Air)
Settings/Cellular Data + cellular data options / but no Manage T-Mobile account

So maybe its only newer iPads that get the 5GB option,
the 200MB free goes away real quick , so I just keep it as a back-up
but I would really love to pay for the 5GB add on
Old May 21, 2017, 9:15 am

on my old iPad 2 ( not an Air)
Settings/Cellular Data + cellular data options / but no Manage T-Mobile account. So maybe its only newer iPads that get the 5GB option,
the 200MB free goes away real quick , so I just keep it as a back-up
but I would really love to pay for the 5GB add on
Manage T-Mobile showing on our iPad Mini (A1455) still, after a recent Reset on iOS 9.3.5 (there was an OTA carrier update, from T-Mobile) ... so, not a newer device for sure.

Below "Current plan status" - choose your plan - On Demand passes, 500 MB, 1 GB, 3 GB, 5 GB and 7 GB (all for US, Canada & Mexico ... 1 day, 7 day and 30-day pass) Fine prints below: 5 GB for 5 months - available on select devices as one-time offer at activation only ...

It also noted "Account suspended after 365 days of inactivity ..." Having this account & activated free sim for a while, the option to purchase 5 GB is no longer showing up.

The better & more flexible travel option - for us - is to pop our Project Fi data-only Sim in there (installed on a BLU R1 HD, dual Sim of course) @ $10 for 1 GB of data, domestic & international.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:58 am

does the free 200mb include international ?

looks like the 5GB deal is not going to come back anytime soon if ever again ,
I can always use my phone as a HotSpot to the iPad if needed.....
Old May 22, 2017, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
does the free 200mb include international ?

looks like the 5GB deal is not going to come back anytime soon if ever again ,
I can always use my phone as a HotSpot to the iPad if needed.....
The 200 mg, obtained prior to May 7, 2017, does include international in my experience.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:44 pm

The free 200 MB monthly data is U.S. only in the home rate area. Cruised out of NY to Florida & Bahamas at beginning of month, used in as we approach Port Canaveral & picked up home signal. No luck once we set sail for Nassau & Great Stirrup Cay, private island - now has cellular towers, BTC on 3G and 4G.

Purchased data is good for US, Canada & Mexico.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Anyone try swapping this T-Mo 200MB data SIM to a different iPad?

I read swapping it to a new device will inactivate the 200MB free plan.

I'd eventually like to upgrade my iPad Air 2.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:14 pm

I ran out all my Data today as it refills in the morning ,

iPad said 283 MB used , not sure if thats correct or not as the Tmobile Email said I used up my 200 MB

After signing in to my account it would let me buy Data , but it was not cheap
and in the small small print it mentioned the 5GB deal , but it was a one time only , and only when you signed up......

So I guess I will use it as a back-up and if really needing it pay for the extra GB then

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.