Reload this Page >

Trip to China - cell phone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip to China - cell phone

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 6:49 am

All my contacts on my phones are stored in the international dial format +country code, then number. So US numbers are +13125559999, Uk numbers are +447855111444. For GSM networks, the + sign is a signal to the network to automatically convert it to the international dial code for whatever country you are in.

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Hit an interesting problem with my phone in China:

China Unicom SIM in a Moto G4+. Incoming calls are fine. Incoming texts are fine. Data is fine. Outgoing calls are failing because every number I have wished to call started with either a 0 or a 1 and my phone is confused. I have had no occasion to try an outgoing text but I suspect the problem also applies.

Any ideas?
Old May 23, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
This certainly makes sense (the numbers it has munched on are not legal US numbers even if you ignore the wrong length), but I find no "Assisted dialing" option.

And I can rule out how numbers are entered in the phone--these were new numbers, keypad dialing, not from the contacts.
You may have to include the international calling prefix and country code: "+1" for US, "+86" for China.

Here are screenshots of how to find the Assisted Dialing feature on my Motorola Droid Turbo 2 phone, which is a similar model to the G4+:

Last edited by ajGoes; May 23, 2017 at 8:43 am Reason: Fixing image links. Google Drive was the solution but the image URLs needed massaging.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajGoes
You may have to include the international calling prefix and country code: "+1" for US, "+86" for China.

Here are screenshots of how to find the Assisted Dialing feature on my Motorola Droid Turbo 2 phone, which is a similar model to the G4+:
My third screen looks very different. Next time I have an occasion to dial a number I'll try the +86 bit.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:42 pm

Hit an interesting problem with my phone in China:

China Unicom SIM in a Moto G4+. Incoming calls are fine. Incoming texts are fine. Data is fine. Outgoing calls are failing because every number I have wished to call started with either a 0 or a 1 and my phone is confused. I have had no occasion to try an outgoing text but I suspect the problem also applies.

Any ideas?
Just dial with the full prefix and it will work. E.g. +86138xxxxxxxx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.