Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

does anyone carry their smartphone without a lock screen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

does anyone carry their smartphone without a lock screen?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
But can't you just wipe a lost phone using lookout or others, so if lost no one would have access to passwords, etc.?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by chx1975
I have the swipe screen but not a lock screen. What for? If the phone is stolen any competent thief will factory reset it in a heartbeat. If I lose and it's a benign lost-and-found I will want the kind person finding my Nexus 7 to be able to discover it is mine. So... what for?
The lock screen isn't to prevent theft but more so to prevent data loss. I think since 6.0 on Android they started encrypting phones from the factory. But you're right, someone steals my phone they can factory reset quickly and it's ready to go.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:23 pm

Up until my latest smart phone, I have to admit I was one of those that didn't bother with anything more than the simple swipe to unlock. It was always just annoying to me to enter a code to get into the phone, so I didn't like it.

With the phones with fingerprint sensors, it got easy enough that I went that route. Not sure I like the trend of them moving that to the back of the screen in a misguided attempt to free up front space by removing a home button though.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Burnsie
True, but having a lock screen adds a layer of security to protect your data - emails, messages, contacts, photographs, etc. In fact if my phone is ever stolen, I hope that the thief does factory reset it.
Yeah, well, of course, it's the "skeleton key" to our digital lives... I guess. Maybe I need to reconsider the levels of cynicism I have grown towards security.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:03 am

"The problem is not that the TSA employees are necessarily stupid, it's the laws and TSA policies that force them to act as if they were."

Could you give some examples? Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The only reason why I put some kind of screen lock other than a swipe screen was because I wanted to use Samsung Pay. The only place I lose my phone is in my house.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by chx1975
I have the swipe screen but not a lock screen. What for? If the phone is stolen any competent thief will factory reset it in a heartbeat. If I lose and it's a benign lost-and-found I will want the kind person finding my Nexus 7 to be able to discover it is mine. So... what for?

I'm not sure where you acquired this information but it certainly does not apply to recent iPhones.

If you recall, the FBI had to pay an Israeli company a reported $1M for a program to unlock the 3 year old iPhone from the Sacramento terrorist shooter a while back, because Apple wouldn't do it for them. The security of current models is much higher than that phone was, and is considered virtually unbreakable with a decent passcode.

You cannot "Reset It" without it being unlocked first.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I was getting lunch today and I spotted a Samsung phone on the counter that someone had obviously forgotten. Just before I picked it up to see if they had any contact info on the lock screen a bloke appeared next to me to claim it. He had a picture of him and family on the screen to identify it as his but no lock at all. I suggested he added one to which he said it was brand new and had forgotten to do it.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I was getting lunch today and I spotted a Samsung phone on the counter that someone had obviously forgotten. Just before I picked it up to see if they had any contact info on the lock screen a bloke appeared next to me to claim it. He had a picture of him and family on the screen to identify it as his but no lock at all. I suggested he added one to which he said it was brand new and had forgotten to do it.
Samsung makes you either skip or set up a lock screen when you first turn it on.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Samsung makes you either skip or set up a lock screen when you first turn it on.
I think he'd skipped it and was planning to do do it later but had just forgotten.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I think he'd skipped it and was planning to do do it later but had just forgotten.
Pure lazy then, takes 10 seconds during set up to skip at least a pin.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Pure lazy then, takes 10 seconds during set up to skip at least a pin.
Yeah I got the impression he wasn't the sharpest tool in the box.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Yeah I got the impression he wasn't the sharpest tool in the box.
Which is 99.99% of smartphone users !
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by frankhi
"The problem is not that the TSA employees are necessarily stupid, it's the laws and TSA policies that force them to act as if they were."

Could you give some examples? Thanks
Forcing the TSA agent to classify all knifes/blades as a potential weapon while allowing much more dangerous items such as 4" scissors or 7" scewdriver. A Vic Classic is not a good knife for cutting but people were in an uproar when the TSA attempted to have the same rule as some EU countries.

I had a P38 "confiscated as a weapon but not 4" scissors.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:56 pm

I can't imagine not having some sort of lock on my phone, especially with emails and such. It's also a great way to stop pranksters

With fingerprint readers, it's a no brainer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.