Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Android App that limits which Apps can use cell data ?

Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Hi

on my Ipad in the settings is an area where I can limit which apps will be able to use the Cell Data

But there is not anything like that in the Android settings

am I missing something ? or is there something I can download ?

I have had times where a youtube video kept playing when I thought it was off and ate all my Data

thanks for your help
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What version of Android is your phone?

See, for example:

https://ting.com/blog/ting-tip-for-a...d-mobile-data/
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Android on my Nexus is 6.0

a couple others have 5.0
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by nerd
What version of Android is your phone?

See, for example:

https://ting.com/blog/ting-tip-for-a...d-mobile-data/
That appears to be for background data only, not foreground data.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:35 pm

Definitely interested in this as well! I believe the built-in setting is background data as well. It's strange that this is so difficult in Android, but much easier on iOS.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I use No Root Firewall https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ewall&hl=en_GB which works very well.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

yes I would like to just go down the list and check off the ones I do not want on mobile data , I do not want to open up each app to have and check what the status is ,

seems simple enough
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
yes I would like to just go down the list and check off the ones I do not want on mobile data , I do not want to open up each app to have and check what the status is ,

seems simple enough
Like this?

Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I use No Root Firewall https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ewall&hl=en_GB which works very well.
Looks fantastic! However the disclaimer about IPv6 is worrying. I'm not sure if any US carriers are using IPv6 yet, but it's just one more thing to keep track of, especially when traveling and roaming. They say that they're working on a fix, but it looks like the app hasn't been updated since 2014?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eeflyer
Looks fantastic! However the disclaimer about IPv6 is worrying. I'm not sure if any US carriers are using IPv6 yet, but it's just one more thing to keep track of, especially when traveling and roaming. They say that they're working on a fix, but it looks like the app hasn't been updated since 2014?
I don't use this one but it has been suggested to me: Net Guard https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...guard&hl=en_GB

Apparently can handle IPV6.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
They haven't stolen this from iOS yet? It's been around as long as I can remember and seems rather rudimentary.

NetGuard is also suggested at Ting.com
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:48 pm

What I'd really like are different profiles for roaming. For instance if I'm in Europe, my roaming rate is £0.04/MB so I'd be happy for most of my apps to use cellular data. However I'm in Bahrain at the moment where the rate is £5.00/MB so I have data roaming completely switched off. It's a bit of a pain manually allowing/disallowing apps depending on where I am, so having a couple of profiles would be a great help.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
They haven't stolen this from iOS yet? It's been around as long as I can remember and seems rather rudimentary.

NetGuard is also suggested at Ting.com
Does that ios option stop advertising being downloaded? I've done a search on Google to try and find out but to no avail.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I'm on Android 7.1.2 on my Pixel (on Project FI).

As far as I know, there is no way to restrict individual apps from using cellular data at the system level. That said, most GOOD apps have the option within the app to restrict data usage to Wifi, and even wifi only when plugged into power. Google Photos, maps, netflix and many others have similar options. It would be better to allow this control centrally like iOS does.

One area where Android is WAY better than iOS is the ability to define a data cap. I have a cellular data cap of 5gb set right on my device, to ensure I never go over 5gb of usage per month.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by LordHamster
One area where Android is WAY better than iOS is the ability to define a data cap. I have a cellular data cap of 5gb set right on my device, to ensure I never go over 5gb of usage per month.
Good point, it's a very good feature. I've also set up a notification to alert me when I'm within 200MB of my data cap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.