Pokefi MiFi Device

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
What is PokeFi?
Pokefi is a type of "MiFi" (or mobile WiFi network) device.

What is the cost of using PokeFi?
The price is of the device ranges from US$125-200, depending on where it is bought and then costs US$3/day or US$3/GB for data.

Where can I use PokeFi?
It is compatible in 60 countries

Expert Advice: Beware inconsistency of connection speeds and battery life

What are some alternative options?
Competitors include GlocalMe and Skyroam. Substituting SIM cards in a phone is another method.

Of note:
  1. It does get warm for long usuage. So try to give good air circulation from time to time while using it.
  2. It doesn't charge well when it is in use. Turn the connection off before charging. Otherwise it may take forever to charge.
  3. Try to turn it on and establish internet connection while you are stationary. I once drive from Ottawa to Toronto and my wife turned it on while the car was in motion. It never established a connection for the whole trip. But if the connection was negotiated before I drive, it was good for the whole trip.
Print Wikipost

Pokefi MiFi Device

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
This report http://disq.us/p/13bnw1f says the glocalme g2 worked just fine in countryside Vietnam. Although at that time there were doubt, the G2 shipped and so did the U2. I have an U2, want a photo ?
Old May 8, 2017, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rogerio Aguirres
Guys, I am using Flexiroam
(...)
Costs US$ 29.99/1GB, 79.99/3GB or 129.99/5GB.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that sounds massively overpriced compared to the alternatives which start at around $3 per GB - a tenth of the Flexiroam fee!
Old May 9, 2017, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Burnsie
Thanks for the suggestion, but that sounds massively overpriced compared to the alternatives which start at around $3 per GB - a tenth of the Flexiroam fee!
I suspended the post that you replied to on the suspicion that it was an affiliate/spam link.
Old May 11, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific, United 1MM, Southwest, Hilton
Unhappy My PokeFi experience

I bought one of these from the CX inflight catalogue. My experience has been, well, mixed.

1. It wouldn't switch on. It took me a few minutes to discover that the battery was insulated. (Good that they did that, but no mention of it ...)

2. My device gets quite warm during use, uncomfortably so if it's in my pocket.

3. As others have reported, initial connection time is long.

4. I've used it in China, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong (my home) and Singapore. In Hong Kong and Singapore, the performance is OK but not great and in the other three countries it was basically terrible. Really slow and nowhere near LTE speeds. Speedtest often showed less than 1Mbps download and 200-300Kbps upload.

5. It has trouble maintaining a connection. I've had the indicator go from green (connected) to red (disconnected) for no obvious reason, and it may be several minutes before the connection is reestablished.

5. The battery goes flat after a week or so even though it's powered off.

6. It has become unresponsive a number of times (wouldn't connect, wouldn't charge, etc). I removed and reinstalled the battery, and this seemed to restore operation for the time being.

7. I am suspicious that I have a hardware problem, but the support line has not answered my email messages.

Given the more positive reviews from others, I will try to chase their support again. My experience has been disappointing.

Last edited by mcousins; May 11, 2017 at 3:23 am Reason: Added another observation (#6)
Old May 14, 2017, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Coolers
Said friend reports no service in Vietnam for the entirety of his 3-day trip, even though it's on the list of available countries.
Issue seems to have been resolved. Currently on day 4 in HCMC and no service interruptions since arriving.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by mcousins
I bought one of these from the CX inflight catalogue. My experience has been, well, mixed.

1. It wouldn't switch on. It took me a few minutes to discover that the battery was insulated. (Good that they did that, but no mention of it ...)
ANSWER
Yes to the battery not mentioned in the instruction, but it was easily figured out for me as most battery device has that insulated piece for LiON safety.

ANSWER
It is a bit warm when operating.

ANSWER
Yes and no. IME it was between 30 seconds and two three minutes.

4. I've used it in China, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong (my home) and Singapore. In Hong Kong and Singapore, the performance is OK but not great and in the other three countries it was basically terrible. Really slow and nowhere near LTE speeds. Speedtest often showed less than 1Mbps download and 200-300Kbps upload.

5. It has trouble maintaining a connection. I've had the indicator go from green (connected) to red (disconnected) for no obvious reason, and it may be several minutes before the connection is reestablished.
ANSWER
It is not ideal but no worse than Roaming with a non-native SIM around SE Asia

6. It has become unresponsive a number of times (wouldn't connect, wouldn't charge, etc). I removed and reinstalled the battery, and this seemed to restore operation for the time being.
ANSWER
An external reset switch would be nice

7. I am suspicious that I have a hardware problem, but the support line has not answered my email messages.
ANSWER
Try their chat, It has work for me.

Given the more positive reviews from others, I will try to chase their support again. My experience has been disappointing.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:36 am

Does anyone have updated usage reports?

Have they added more countries?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:33 am

Not much to add beyond that I've had a chance to try it in China. Works fine but subject to the Great Firewall, unlike SIMs purchased in HK.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:50 pm

Ok. I'm kind of late to this thread but I'm going to review it. I bought Pokefi at HKIA back in February and it is cheaper than purchase on its own website. I've used it in China, Singapore,Malaysia and now in Europe. The connection in Switzerland and Greece is very good. It went green so fast in these two countries. In France and Italy it disconnected a few times and took quite long for the connection to reestablish. And also it lost connection like for example in underground metro station. The speed for browsing and accessing social media are good. It's a good device for a tourist and 5GB for USD 15 or 5 day unlimited (speed slow down after exceed usage limit) is very reasonable. It's very recommended. I rented pocket Wifi before in Europe and the price is much more higher that's why I am so satisfied with this product. Anyone who has use Pokefi in the USA please share your experience. Thank you
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Anton33
Anyone who has use Pokefi in the USA please share your experience. Thank you
Frist time when you use it in the US after using it in another country the initial reconnect and roaming handshake could be as long as 5 minutes.

We use the $15 for 5GB plan. Unscientific observation: the speed seems similar to T-Mob LTE. It was used in major metropolitan cities so I cannot comment on its performance in rural areas.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
as a current GlocalMe user who is happy with the device except for cost being a higher than this Pokefi device. this thread intrigues me. I kind of want to buy one of these now even tho my GlocalMe works well. The cost of $15/5GB and it being able to be used an multiple countries compared to glocalme's package country is a big advantage!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:21 am

Pokefi forgot password

Would someone tell me how I can connect back as I forgot password. I can't now connect to manage device page as I first need to put password. It's been for a while since I used it and now I need it for my travel to Asia. Thank you very much for your advice.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: asia miles
Originally Posted by mcousins

The connection in Singapore is very terrible, almost everytime I went inside mall it went red solid, which i have to wait another 30-60 min then i can use it again (blinking green signal)

I tried to contact the support, no reply! bad customer service or maybe they know that connection in Singapore is very bad so they don't bother to reply my msg!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by tentseller

Price $990 HKD with 5g loaded.

Countries used: Canada, US, Japan, Korea, Philippines, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia(KL Penang), Thailand(Bangkok), Indonesia(Jakarta), China(GZ BJ SH)
For the pre-loaded 5gigs and any subsequent topups, do you have to consume it in blocks (e.g. of 1 gig or 500mb) in each country, or does the balance carry over to another country? (e.g. 1.4 gig in Canada, then 2 gigs in US and 1.6 gigs in Japan)?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by phelansg
For the pre-loaded 5gigs and any subsequent topups, do you have to consume it in blocks (e.g. of 1 gig or 500mb) in each country, or does the balance carry over to another country? (e.g. 1.4 gig in Canada, then 2 gigs in US and 1.6 gigs in Japan)?
This

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.