Best dual sim phone?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:57 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by Enthilza
Why not go with a Samsung S7 (or S7 Edge)?

Great camera, regular Android updates, decent UI... I believe the new S8 will also be dual sim.
I kinda gave up on Samsung after the S4. The newer models seem to be copies of iphones and spec wise they are good but for the price, there are other options.

Rumor has it that a new OP might be out in a few months.

And the 2nd sim being GSM is a issue in my current Z5.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Be aware that the Chinese dual sim phones that I've looked at (and I own one) have a lovely little piece of spyware by default. They can install anything they like with this on board and also read text messsges etc.

Shanghai Adups Technology – which is the said software company in question, has affirmed that the software meant for a Chinese manufacturer was erroneously included on the devices meant for the US.
the droidreview
Kryptowire has identified several models of Android mobile devices that contained firmware that collected sensitive personal data about their users and transmitted this sensitive data to third-party servers without disclosure or the users' consent.
Kryptowire

If you can root the phone then you can delete it if not the there does appear to be a way of disabling it.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-...sable-0175034/

I've not tried this and can't say if it works but I know that using Noroot firewall didn't stop it updating the spyware. My antivirus now tells me there is a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) on my phone which is the updated version of ADUPS FOTA and that it can't be removed.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Apr 1, 2017 at 6:10 am
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
The S7 with the Nougat update now supports 3G on the 2nd sim.

Moto Z play also an option, friend has one and is getting outstanding battery life.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
I have the OP3 and have had good luck with dual SIM use in Asia and UK. I'm a OP fan, having the original, then OP2 then 3. Older phones still in use as hand-me-downs to kids. Only issue is battery life has dropped over the past year, but love the dash charge to get it back quickly.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 4:33 am
Original Poster

One thing I just noticed is the OP 3T Europe version doesn't have the LTE bands for the USA (and vv). That could be an issue as I'm about half the year in the USA.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by jason8612
One thing I just noticed is the OP 3T Europe version doesn't have the LTE bands for the USA (and vv). That could be an issue as I'm about half the year in the USA.
My North American Axon 7 has a decent collection of foreign LTE bands, but I suspect the issue of which dual SIM phone has the most would be of general interest.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:15 am

Same here. My US version of the zenfone2 has a good majority of the common LTE bands used outside the US.

http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_2_ze551ml-6917.php

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
My North American Axon 7 has a decent collection of foreign LTE bands, but I suspect the issue of which dual SIM phone has the most would be of general interest.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by jason8612
I haven't checked the bands against different countries but the phone I am deliberating over has these apparently:

GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (B1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 19, 20, 28, 38, 40)
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
I have an OP3 and love it. Used an Asus for a while and gave it back due to heating and battery issues.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:08 pm

Honor 5x

https://www.amazon.com/5X-Unlocked-S.../dp/B019O8YWR0
Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:17 am

A good option would be the huawei honor 8. It is a dual sim full active with 3g on both sims (plus lte on one) so it could be a good choice for people who need to reach Australia with a dual sim.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:18 am

Let me throw in one thing that bugs me a little on my ZTE. They have disabled the factory VOIP dialer and I am struggling to find a way to integrate the dialer. I have an ATT global data sim in slot 2 and normally a ProjectFi SIM in slot one. At .20 a minute for the occasional non-VOIP call, global texting, backup data, it is a combination that I can't beat, but I find the dialer integration frustrating. When I tell the Google Assistant or Android auto to call a particular number it always goes out via ProjectFi.

I'd love to hear about the various other dialers. Also vaguelly interested in lines on the Galaxy S8 Duos which is currently only available in a few countries. I'm presuming the Swiss model will be the gray market model that hits US shores.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
The Boeing phone is dual sim too. Don't forget that one.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I haven't checked the bands against different countries but the phone I am deliberating over has these apparently:

GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (B1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 19, 20, 28, 38, 40)
Well I stopped deliberating and bought one. Very happy so far. Not use internationally yet though.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Still deciding on what phone to get. I'm looking at the P10 and it seems to be the same as the Mate 9 dual sim in all the specs except the mate 9 has a bigger battery than the P10. Am I missing something? It seems the mate 9 dual would be the better of the phone choices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.