Reload this Page >

Anyone use a big smartphone?

Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS DL

With the new regulations banning tablets and laptops and even cameras in the cabin from certain Middle Eastern airports, I fear this will spread to other flights.

Does anyone use big smartphones? Fit in the pocket? Cumbersome to use as a phone? Still too small to use as a tablet?

I am thinking of changing from a small Android smartphone to a large one in a year or so.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: *G
i have a 5.7" which isnt considered "large" nowadays, but i think its at the extreme for me as a man in terms of pocketability. ive used them all from 4.7" 5.2" 5.5" etc and I think 5.2-5.5 is about the sweet spot.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
With the new regulations banning tablets and laptops and even cameras in the cabin from certain Middle Eastern airports, I fear this will spread to other flights.

Does anyone use big smartphones? Fit in the pocket? Cumbersome to use as a phone? Still too small to use as a tablet?

I am thinking of changing from a small Android smartphone to a large one in a year or so.
I started on the big phone trend before most with a Samsung Mega. I will guess that it was a 5.8 inch. It was a bit big in the front pocket but fit well in the inside pocket of a blazer.

I recently upgraded to a 6.6 inch screen phone. It is too big in the front pocket and just barely acceptable in the inside breast pocket of a blazer.

And FYI, my new 6.6 screen is apparently TOO BIG according to the new regulations. What a joke.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by alexteacher
And FYI, my new 6.6 screen is apparently TOO BIG according to the new regulations. What a joke.
To be fair, a 6.6 in smartphone is as large as many tablets. The iPad Mini display is not even 2 in larger.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:34 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving this to the Travel Technology forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
To be fair, a 6.6 in smartphone is as large as many tablets. The iPad Mini display is not even 2 in larger.
True.

I didn't have to consider it anything other than a big phone until now.

Now I have to check it? But if it goes missing, I probably won't be reimbursed.

What a headache.

I'll try to avoid any flights that require I check it is all I can do...
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alexteacher
True.

I didn't have to consider it anything other than a big phone until now.

Now I have to check it? But if it goes missing, I probably won't be reimbursed.

What a headache.

I'll try to avoid any flights that require I check it is all I can do...
For now, unless you're flying to the certain airports in the middle east from the US or UK on certain airlines, it's not going to impact you one iota.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
For now, unless you're flying to the certain airports in the middle east from the US or UK on certain airlines, it's not going to impact you one iota.
Maybe you mean the reverse?

But, yes.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Perhaps "from"?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Big is a relative term, went from a Nexus 5 (4.95" screen) to a Nexus 6 briefly (6" screen) before selling N5 to offset upgrade to Nexus 5X (5.2" screen) - which has been faithful for 15 months & loving it - hold it comfortable with the TPU case/stand in one hand while doing other things ... a bit difficult even for big hands with 6" screen. Talk a walk into your favorite store & play with them a bit, Best Buy has a good variety - see if they are comfortable to hold & use, most of us put on a (slim) case so take that into consideration.

With the N5X, I can slip it in a pocket or pants without worrying too much, and it's fine with a vertical or horizontal belt pouch, all one-handed. Mrs. L took over my 6" phablet and she loves the jumbo screen, and most of the time in her purse - sometimes in her outwear's big pocket. The other factor to consider is battery life, both standby & talk time - road warriors don't always have quick access to a charging source (some of us do ... but). Hers tweaked to last a full 14 to 18 hours day under normal usage - gaming will obviously kill it sooner for obvious reasons. Big or jumbo smartphone are battery killers, for all practical purposes.

No plans to replace or upgrade my N5X in the near future and even if so, likely to stay around 5.5" - screen as overall size are practical for pocket & belt carry, and quick dash mounting without resorting to fancy mounts for GPS/navigation in rental cars, etc. With a stylus and compact BT keyboard, can still take care of emails.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Mar 23, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
Perhaps "from"?
You're right, it's the reverse. I've been having a tough time with "to" and "from" lately (seriously, I did that at work the other day, too - or is it from? I don't even know anymore...).

Last edited by gobluetwo; Mar 23, 2017 at 1:49 pm
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I have a Huawei Honor 5x with a 5.5" screen and I'd say it's at about the limit for what I can easily operate with one hand. It fits in a blue jean pocket but it's definitely on the larger side for that.

I can't say that I'd be keen on going any bigger than this size... it would just start getting unwieldy at that point.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:42 pm

I have had a variety of phones from 5.2 - 6.4" screen size.

Storage:
Back jeans pocket or in a purse. If in the back pocket, then I take it out before sitting as to avoid bending and repeated stress.
Occasionally a jacket pocket but the additional weight (a few more oz than 5") can make coats sag or hang off center.

Sizing:
Once a phone crosses into two hand territory, then I pick the larger size ( One handed use is towards 5" for me)
Large phablets can't be too wide for one handed grip. I tend to sit while using kindle/tablet/laptop but standing or moving while using a smartphone (nav, calendar, etc),
6+" acceptable for me as a replacement for 7/8" tablet. 7/8" tablet are too wide for one handed grip. Anything larger than that, I'll want at least 10" and a good keyboard oriented towards productive output rather than consuming input.

Usage:
Phone calls don't make up the majority of my smart device usage time and when I do need to make a long call, my headphones have a mic which improves audio (ear and speaker) quality. A large phablet next to my head does look quite funny. Thankfully people are now used to assuming that speaking off into the air means bluetooth and not talking to yourself.
Larger screens let me process email more quickly

I'm also still waiting for the waytools keyboard (two years and counting!) which would be quite useful for extensive typing, yet still fit in a coat pocket or purse.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:45 pm

I use a Nexus 5 and might go with a Nexus 6 if its "legal" size
I use it mostly as a Tablet , but the 5 is an OK size for phone use and at home mostly use it on speaker phone .

before I had a Asus 7 in Phablet until I broke it , much better as a Tablet but too big for pocket and looked stupid using it as a phone......

I would often laugh at myself and remember the Ghetto Blasters on your shoulder in the past
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
I use a Nexus 5 and might go with a Nexus 6 if its "legal" size
I use it mostly as a Tablet , but the 5 is an OK size for phone use and at home mostly use it on speaker phone .

before I had a Asus 7 in Phablet until I broke it , much better as a Tablet but too big for pocket and looked stupid using it as a phone......

I would often laugh at myself and remember the Ghetto Blasters on your shoulder in the past
I had a great Ghetto Blaster!! (Is it un-PC to still call them that? ) That sucker could really chew through the D-cells...

The Galaxy S7 is as big as I want to go: in fact, I thought the iPhone 5 was had a nice feel as smartphones go. I'd go even a little smaller if there was a good phone that size with the same performance characteristics as the top flagships. (I guess that might defy the laws of physics...)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.