Bose hearphones ($500)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Bose hearphones ($500)

Haven't really seen much info about this anywhere yet
http://hearphones.bose.com

It's $500, only available in 3 physical stores

Think of it as an enhanced qc30(which cost $300).
Physically similar, it has two main additions

- more control over NC AND ability to adjust treble (to make voices sharper and hear voices better)
- more directional control over NC, can adjust to hear surround/front/directional(I guess they have more mics in the device to do this filtering)

It's still a new/niche product -
1) if you have difficulties hearing in a loud environment (think bar/reception), hearing aids wont help you , try it out

2) If you want something to complement your hearing aids, it might be useful

3) if not....

it has the same pros/cons of the qc30

From what I understand, theyre still improving the product(firmware, maybe even the physical portions), so you might want to wait until they roll it out to a wider region
Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:24 pm

Biggest thing for me would be the music quality. At the $500 price point I doubt I would ever jump in though. Seems like at least an interesting concept and I'm sure some people would find it useful enough at the price.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by el aye
Biggest thing for me would be the music quality. At the $500 price point I doubt I would ever jump in though. Seems like at least an interesting concept and I'm sure some people would find it useful enough at the price.
you don't buy it for the music quality... (even if you do, you'll get the QC30 instead at $300)

you buy it for the NC-capabilities
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As someone who has issues hearing conversations in loud places, I am a little unclear as to how it would work - it is other voices that make it hardest for me to hear the person talking to me, not music / air conditioning etc. so if I increased the treble to hear them, wouldn't that increase the other voices as well? According to the audiologist, my problem stems from hearing too much, not too little.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:42 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by emma69
...- it is other voices that make it hardest for me to hear the person talking to me, not music / air conditioning etc.
If I understand correctly, this feature is meant to address that problem:

Directional microphones help you engage in conversations in noisy places.
Directivity. Microphone arrays on each earbud make conversation clearer from the direction you want. So you can focus on the sounds in front of you or the sounds all around you.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emma69
According to the audiologist, my problem stems from hearing too much, not too little.
you can adjust the global volume as well as treble/direction. tbf, i use my QC20 to reduce the noise level, helps a little.

screenshot on this page might help (Directivity: Focused, Front, Everywhere)

can even adjust volume in each ear
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bosehear&hl=en

(plus the people in the reviews who can't read)
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:27 pm
Suspended

LOL, $500 for a bose
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Vaucluse
LOL, $500 for a bose

Not sure about the LOL.... That's almost $3000 less than the $3325 quote for a pair of hearing aid earbuds.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i would buy them. But they are only available in 3 stores right now it seems.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Similar:
Doppler Labs "Here One" https://hereplus.me/pages/product-details

Price is $299. May not have front/back selectivity I can't tell.

(Doppler Labs funded "Here" via Kickstarter.)
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm interested. Anyone try these yet? (the Bose ones)
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: QF
Thanks for the thread. The Bose HearPhones have been in the PSAP market now for about 3 months as a soft-release started 2017. I’m in Australia and having my son who lives in Ca send them from the Palo Alto outlet. (only available in 7 outlets as of today). I’m a hearing aid wearer of about 15 yrs with mild to moderate loss primarily in upper registers. I’ve use Bose speakers for decades because they are “bright” and am very excited about this development. Most would not believe how exciting it is for someone who needs all the (claimed) attributes of the product to hear (pun) that Bose is tackling this space. Can anyone cite firsthand experience of the product in the way of a review - preferably someone mildly impaired hearing ? I suspect it will mature into quite a large market when the capability is understood and proven. Thanks in anticipation. ps my hearing aids are $8,000 a pair and only moderately useful - they fail at all the points Bose claim to address...

Last edited by gbills; Apr 24, 2017 at 8:18 am Reason: postscript
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:13 pm

gbills,
I'm thinking of driving from Virginia to New Jersey to try (and probably buy) the Bose Hearphones. Like you, I have mild hearing loss and hearing aids ($6500) that aren't great. I'm not looking forward to driving 6 hours to try them, so if you receive your pair from your son soon, please let me/us know how well they work.
Thanks!
Sean
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanhear
gbills,
I'm thinking of driving from Virginia to New Jersey to try (and probably buy) the Bose Hearphones. Like you, I have mild hearing loss and hearing aids ($6500) that aren't great. I'm not looking forward to driving 6 hours to try them, so if you receive your pair from your son soon, please let me/us know how well they work.
Thanks!
Sean
I would almost do the same thing.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:59 am
Original Poster

I did try it briefly in store. The options (treble/NC/direction) seem to work, better than just the NC controls on the QC30

Don't have any hearing problems (according to the last time I did a hearing test at the audiologist), but do find it to listen in a crowded place (I.e. bar/restaurant)

It's an interesting device that's still being worked on (firmware wise, that's why there's a soft rollout in a few stores with a proper demo, and bose soliciting feedback from users)

Instore demo isn't enough to tell how good it works, thats why they have a 30day return policy.

im still happy with my qc20, so I'll pass on this for now

Do note about this: https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/19/bose-lawsuit-audio-data/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.