Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moto G Play with Replaceable Battery - Except You Can't Buy a Battery

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Moto G Play with Replaceable Battery - Except You Can't Buy a Battery

I bought a Moto G Play a few months ago - largely because it has a battery that pops out. I figured this would be good for trips where I might not be able to recharge the phone easily - just pop in a replacement battery and keep going.

So, yesterday I figure it's time to order the extra battery for a trip at the end of this month. Except that Motorola does not sell batteries, and no one seems to carry the batteries - except for various ebay sellers where there is a high probability that the batteries are counterfeit.

Seems to me if they are going to sell a phone with an easily replaceable battery they should make and sell replacement batteries. I don't think that is an unreasonable idea on my part, I have had phones in the past with replacable batteries and the batteries were regularly available.

I suppose my justification for posting this other than ranting it to warn others who might be tempted to buy the same phone for the same reason.

For comic relief - I asked on an official Lenovo Forum if anyone had any suggestions as to where I could buy a battery. A Motorola rep posted this in response:

Motorola does not sell replacement cellphone parts as we suggest customers sending their device for repair or replace if there is an issue. Since the device is a removable battery, we do not suggest buying replacement batteries from third-party stores as we are not sure of third party replacement battery should work with their phones.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't that a pretty new phone? I doubt there's much demand for batteries yet, official or third party.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Why not just get one of the generic battery packs that can recharge anything?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Responding to some of the posts above - the phone came out in August 2016.

Why not get a battery pack? I have a few of those. But, it can involve plugging it into the phone mid-day. I do that all the time - but, it is far easier to have a pre-charged battery in my pocket, pop out the old battery, and pop in a new one.

Once upon a time, all Android phones had replaceable batteries like this, and at least then you could buy a replacement battery through normal channels.

In contrast with Motorola, you can go to the LG site and they sell batteries for all of their phones with consumer replaceable batteries, and merchants like Best Buy sell replacement batteries for LG phones.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
+1 on an external battery pack anyway ... for generic use. But, if you plan on keeping this for a while and hasn't spend a little fortune on a case, glass protector, etc. - maybe checkout Amazon or eBay for a custom-designed integrated battery case, link here, rated 3,200 mAh and more for the "G" ... just make sure it's compatible with your "Play" series. I have an older 2,400 mAH (by AIpatronix) to match a backup iPhone 5S, I can leave it on standby/airplane mode for a week to 10 days+ without worrying about a dead battery (and, it last an extended 16 to 18 hour day even on moderate to heavy usage running the camera off & on).
https://www.amazon.com/Case-Phone-Ch.../dp/B01M082U0W

The whole package would be heavier, (taller) longer & thicker but having big hands, it's fine for me and it feel solid in my hand. With a glass screen protector and the good bumper corners - provide good protection against getting dropping & scratches, etc. Nexus 5X is my main, running Nougat 7.1.1 and battery life is good enough as I was going to look for such a setup, 15 months later - the OEM battery is holding a solid charge and I don't feel the need for the extra.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Mar 10, 2017 at 5:50 pm
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Responding to some of the posts above - the phone came out in August 2016.

Why not get a battery pack? I have a few of those. But, it can involve plugging it into the phone mid-day. I do that all the time - but, it is far easier to have a pre-charged battery in my pocket, pop out the old battery, and pop in a new one.

Once upon a time, all Android phones had replaceable batteries like this, and at least then you could buy a replacement battery through normal channels.

In contrast with Motorola, you can go to the LG site and they sell batteries for all of their phones with consumer replaceable batteries, and merchants like Best Buy sell replacement batteries for LG phones.
Another thought--while it is replaceable I have my doubts how well the back would fare with being opened many a time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.