Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Samsung S8 -- Who's in?

Samsung S8 -- Who's in?

Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by murtaza12
@WIRunner

Received my S8 plus today. Fantastic phone, first impressions were just me blown away.
Blown away is probably NOT the best term to use in regards to a Samsung Device.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Oooh, burn!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by ghostrider72
I went for another option: the beautiful and powerful oneplus 3T, 128 GB version. I couldn't be happier. I thought Samsung has nothing to say anymore and is struggling to stay afloat.
OnePlus phones are a lot harder to find where I am compared to mainstream brands like Samsung and Apple.
Congratulations nonetheless, I had used an OP3 for a very brief 2 weeks and I really liked it as well.

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Oh, it is a gorgeous phone. I absolutely love the looks of it. I just don't like the phone. I really wish there was some sort of edge on it, even a slight lip, or a matte finish to something on the sides, just to offer some sort of friction.

I had a software upgrade on "launch day" that killed the Bixby remap. It didn't change the display. I'm on build NRD90M.G950USQU1AQD9 and the April security patch.

But for a $750+ device, any sort of display issues is simply unacceptable.

Edit: I was going to keep using it until tomorrow when I returned it. However, it has locked up several times to day, and has reset itself 3x today. Definitely not going to miss this device.
Thankfully the red tint has practically disappeared on my phone.
Sorry to hear about the locking up issue, that seems to fewer users compared to the red tint problem, however it only affects US models and not the international (Exynos) ones.
I got a software update for the April patch as well, and I'm using an app called 'Bixbye' and I've remapped it to the camera app and it works flawlessly.

Considering you're returning it, are you getting a replacement or switching entirely to another device?

Originally Posted by LordHamster
The explosion jokes will never get old.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Have had a my 8+ for just a week now and am very happy with - it's replacing a 2 1/2 year old S5 which slowly falling apart.
So far am very impressed. Battery life is great compared with the S5. Easily holds up for a day. Copying environment over from the S5 was dead easy. Didn't work over the cabled interface but easy over wifi. Took just under an hour.
Am in the process of cataract operations so haven't bothered with facial recognition or iris for the time being, but the fingerprint recognition works well and very quickly.
The phone is quick and very reactive and I have had any red tint on the screen that I noticed. It did a fairly significant software upgrade during initial setup.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by catandmouse
Have had a my 8+ for just a week now and am very happy with - it's replacing a 2 1/2 year old S5 which slowly falling apart.
So far am very impressed. Battery life is great compared with the S5. Easily holds up for a day. Copying environment over from the S5 was dead easy. Didn't work over the cabled interface but easy over wifi. Took just under an hour.
Am in the process of cataract operations so haven't bothered with facial recognition or iris for the time being, but the fingerprint recognition works well and very quickly.
The phone is quick and very reactive and I have had any red tint on the screen that I noticed. It did a fairly significant software upgrade during initial setup.
Anyone have the DUOS version yet? Any comments?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I had a system upgrade come through last night.

Battery life is noticeably better than my old S6. So far, the fingerprint scanner on the back, which works though awkward to use, is the biggest negative point. Just getting used to accessing apps via the downward swipe; don't keep hitting the icon for ES File Explorer (my phone's configuration) all the time instead. As an added bonus, I received a whopping slew of Samsung Pay points for activating cards on the new phone. The weather app seems a bit different, in that it shows my city as a whole rather than by neighborhood.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Anyone have the DUOS version yet? Any comments?
I've got the UAE Retail unit, which is DUOS.

What would you like to know?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Since I started this thread, I guess I should chime in. I was out of the country when the reslease happened last week. I finally had some time today to go to my Verizon store to get one.

I am home after spending 90 minutes getting the phone and all the info transferred. It is charging now. I did buy some new accessories off Amazon and they should get here on Monday.

One thing I did buy at the Verizon is their tempered glass covering. The store clerk said it was a bit thicker than the last product I bought. That means I have to press down a bit harder to manipulate the screens and apps. That is taking a little bit used to. I am trying to go through all the settings to make sure they are working correctly.

I need to figure out how to adjust the time setting on the default screen. I dont like the display but I can't find the right time/date screen saver I want.

I just love playing with a new phone.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Since I started this thread, I guess I should chime in. I was out of the country when the reslease happened last week. I finally had some time today to go to my Verizon store to get one.

I am home after spending 90 minutes getting the phone and all the info transferred. It is charging now. I did buy some new accessories off Amazon and they should get here on Monday.

One thing I did buy at the Verizon is their tempered glass covering. The store clerk said it was a bit thicker than the last product I bought. That means I have to press down a bit harder to manipulate the screens and apps. That is taking a little bit used to. I am trying to go through all the settings to make sure they are working correctly.

I need to figure out how to adjust the time setting on the default screen. I dont like the display but I can't find the right time/date screen saver I want.

From what I've seen for all of the new glass protectors, they're kinda junky. From what I've seen, they only adhere to the top and bottom, and don't seal on the sides. Hope you have better luck than I did.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Say what you will about Samsung, but their ability to meet demand is second to none. Hard to believe you could just waltz into a store and grab one this early.

If it ran Stock Android and Project Fi, I'd be all over it like stink on a monkey.

Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Are you referring to the lock screen time display in big block numbers? I find that super annoying and completely not function to read (at least to me).

But I have found no way to change that. I turned off the "Always On Display" feature, but this display is still there when I hit the right side button.

I have found no way yet to adjust the display to a normal view.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The time display is weird, but I'm used to it by now. I find the maximum 10 minutes inactivity before requiring the password again a pain.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
The time display is weird, but I'm used to it by now. I find the maximum 10 minutes inactivity before requiring the password again a pain.
At your home or office you can set them as a "trusted" location and based off of the GPS, it won't require a password when you're there. Same goes for bluetooth devices, like a smartwatch or Fitbit, and a car. That is definitely one thing that Apple *needs* to copy.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
So after less than 24 hours, I had to go back to the Verizon store to get help with their tempered glass. I literally had to swipe a half dozen times to get it to work (and I still couldnt get the hot key screen to drop down. They said it was the only tempered glass available (for now). I am going to try Amazon and see if I can get one that I like (and works). I did get the clerk (different from yesterday) admit that it should work better and gave me a full refund. I will just have to be careful with the screen until I get a new protector installed.

They said the clock widget could not be changed but hoped it would be in a software update soon.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:01 pm

So after less than 24 hours, I had to go back to the Verizon store to get help with their tempered glass. I literally had to swipe a half dozen times to get it to work (and I still couldnt get the hot key screen to drop down. They said it was the only tempered glass available (for now). I am going to try Amazon and see if I can get one that I like (and works). I did get the clerk (different from yesterday) admit that it should work better and gave me a full refund. I will just have to be careful with the screen until I get a new protector installed.

They said the clock widget could not be changed but hoped it would be in a software update soon.
Finding proper screen protectors for curved displays isn't easy, I had to use my S7 edge without one and I don't have one on my S8+ either.

Are you referring to the clock on the Always On Display or the clock on the homescreen?
The former can be customized to some extent, whereas the latter can be changed to literally whatever you want it to look like using a 3rd party clock widget from the Play Store.

Doubtful that Samsung will give 'font options' for their clock widget, that's just typical store clerk BS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.