Samsung S8 -- Who's in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Samsung S8 -- Who's in?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:21 am

@WIRunner @msm2000uk

Since both of you have received yours, either of you having the 'red tint' issue?
Initially the problem was isolated to South Korean variants, but people in the US and the UK have been reporting a reddish hue to their displays that can't really be corrected by tweaking the display settings.

Samsung claims to issue a software update at the end of this month to fix it, but I don't know if they're doing that to keep peoples hopes up, or this is an actual hardware issue.

Either way, I won't know until Tuesday the 25th because that's when delivery is scheduled for my phone.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by murtaza12
@WIRunner @msm2000uk

Since both of you have received yours, either of you having the 'red tint' issue?
Initially the problem was isolated to South Korean variants, but people in the US and the UK have been reporting a reddish hue to their displays that can't really be corrected by tweaking the display settings.

Samsung claims to issue a software update at the end of this month to fix it, but I don't know if they're doing that to keep peoples hopes up, or this is an actual hardware issue.

Either way, I won't know until Tuesday the 25th because that's when delivery is scheduled for my phone.
Yes. It is on the top and sides of the phone (about the width of the status bar,) and the bottom 1/4. The middle is okay. Moving the various colour adjustments around only change what hue of blue, green, or red the middle is. The affected issue just gets darker or lighter.

Another gripe: The curved top of the display, combined with the slope of the display makes for a very small notification bar. Samsung compensated by squishing the font (which IMHO looks bad.)
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Yes. It is on the top and sides of the phone (about the width of the status bar,) and the bottom 1/4. The middle is okay. Moving the various colour adjustments around only change what hue of blue, green, or red the middle is. The affected issue just gets darker or lighter.

Another gripe: The curved top of the display, combined with the slope of the display makes for a very small notification bar. Samsung compensated by squishing the font (which IMHO looks bad.)
Are you going to return it?

Rather than being excited, I am now dreading the delivery of my phone because I'm scared of this happening.

If this becomes as widespread as the Note 7 issue, it's goodbye Samsung from me. Their quality control definitely can't be this pathetic that they've screwed up this badly.

​​​​​​I absolutely hate returning electronics so this will affect my loyalty to Samsungs smartphones.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Sounds like there's a race to embed the fingerprint scanner at the bottom of the screen.

Apple is supposedly trying and if they don't pull it off, you know both Samsung and Apple will try again next year.

We'll see how popular this bezel-less design proves to be for them to try to thread the needle on trying to get the scanner there.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you going to return it?

Rather than being excited, I am now dreading the delivery of my phone because I'm scared of this happening.

If this becomes as widespread as the Note 7 issue, it's goodbye Samsung from me. Their quality control definitely can't be this pathetic that they've screwed up this badly.

​​​​​​I absolutely hate returning electronics so this will affect my loyalty to Samsungs smartphones.
Yeah. AMOLED screens are great, their colours look wonderful. The GS6 I had/have (don't use any longer) has probably one of the best screens I've used in a while. I'm probably going to go with an LG G6.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Yeah. AMOLED screens are great, their colours look wonderful. The GS6 I had/have (don't use any longer) has probably one of the best screens I've used in a while. I'm probably going to go with an LG G6.
I've had the G6 for about three weeks so far and love it. Screen size is a little exaggerated I feel since the on screen buttons take up a bit of the screen vs them being separate from the screen like my S7.

I was going to go S8 but I detested the edge on my S7. The G6 gave has a flat screen, larger battery and no TouchWiz.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I'm at a bar, asked the bartender if he saw a reddish tint that I never noticed, and he said no. Battery life is a lot better than my S6 was. Fingerprint on the back is really awkward, but I can get it to work usually.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I'm probably going to go with an LG G6.
Has LG solved their bootloop problem and GPS issues?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
Has LG solved their bootloop problem and GPS issues?
Hope so. I've got an LG G4 for work, had it for about a year, no issues with it. They've had that for years (along with speaker and display cable issues.)

I wouldn't want to be using this with Verizon. Between this and the issues with just activating the darn thing.
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreak...orking-verizon
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:37 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Hope so. I've got an LG G4 for work, had it for about a year, no issues with it.
Of two LG G4's in my household, one developed the bootloop problem after about nine months and the other could not lock on or stay locked on a GPS signal. A previous LG phone, an LG G2, also had the GPS issue.

Both LG's were replaced by Samsungs, an S7 and an S7 Edge. It's been almost a year and neither phone has developed any issue remotely as significant as the LG's.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
Of two LG G4's in my household, one developed the bootloop problem after about nine months and the other could not lock on or stay locked on a GPS signal. A previous LG phone, an LG G2, also had the GPS issue.

Both LG's were replaced by Samsungs, an S7 and an S7 Edge. It's been almost a year and neither phone has developed any issue remotely as significant as the LG's.
The last Samsung phone I've truly enjoyed was the GS4. The more I'm using the GS8 the more I like the device, but the overall issues I've encountered really detracts from it. I do wish they made a "flat" version of it.

When I worked in wireless android was just released, the Galaxy S "Mesmerise", and the GSII and GSIII all had horrible GPS issues. LG seems to have put great efforts into getting the reliability issues taken care of.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:36 am

I had a play with an S8 in my local EE store this afternoon. With all of the hype surrounding it, I expected to be very impressed with the new model, particularly with the screen. However I was left feeling a bit underwhelmed and indifferent towards it. Don't get me wrong, it seems like a high-quality product and well-deserving of Samsung's "flagship" title, but I didn't like it enough to justify an upgrade.

I think I'll wait until October (?) when the Pixel 2 is unveiled, before deciding on an upgrade. However if the rumours are true about it not accepting a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, then I'll have to look elsewhere.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:09 am

@WIRunner

Received my S8 plus today. Fantastic phone, first impressions were just me blown away.
Pictures don't do justice, seeing this in person is just.... I'm speechless.

Anyway, I turned mine on, set it up, noticed a minor bit of red tint near the status bar on top, upon setting it up however, there was a 664 MB software update, after installing that, going through it, tinkering with the phone how I like, it reduced a bit, and with a dark theme enabled, it's barely noticeable. You can only see it on very white / bright backgrounds, and I feel that it'll be completely fixed in the upcoming software update.

Either way, doesn't bother me. I love the phone.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:10 am

@WIRunner

Received my S8 plus today. Fantastic phone, first impressions were just me blown away.

Anyway, I turned mine on, set it up, noticed a minor bit of red tint near the status bar on top, upon setting it up however, there was a 664 MB software update, after installing that, going through it, tinkering with the phone how I like, it reduced a bit, and with a dark theme enabled, it's barely noticeable. You can only see it on very white / bright backgrounds, and I feel that it'll be completely fixed in the upcoming software update.

I went for another option: the beautiful and powerful oneplus 3T, 128 GB version. I couldn't be happier. I thought Samsung has nothing to say anymore and is struggling to stay afloat.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@WIRunner

Oh, it is a gorgeous phone. I absolutely love the looks of it. I just don't like the phone. I really wish there was some sort of edge on it, even a slight lip, or a matte finish to something on the sides, just to offer some sort of friction.

I had a software upgrade on "launch day" that killed the Bixby remap. It didn't change the display. I'm on build NRD90M.G950USQU1AQD9 and the April security patch.

But for a $750+ device, any sort of display issues is simply unacceptable.

Edit: I was going to keep using it until tomorrow when I returned it. However, it has locked up several times to day, and has reset itself 3x today. Definitely not going to miss this device.

Last edited by WIRunner; Apr 25, 2017 at 2:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.