2017 Verizon Unlimited Plan Returns

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boberonicus
Key changes for existing Verizon customers:
  • Credit card payment OK, but direct checking account or debit card gets you $10 off per month.
  • Employer/AAA discount plans do not apply. But 10% entire plan if any military service members on plan. Not sure if they have to be active.
  • 500 MB max per day when roaming internationally 4G then drops to 2G (ouch).
  • 10G GB max per month tethering 4G then drops to 3G
Print Wikipost

2017 Verizon Unlimited Plan Returns

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:04 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by el aye
They are perfectly transparent...

The deal works like this (prices here include the autopay/autodebit discount):

$80 for single line

Family plan has a base price of $100 for the "unlimited data", and then each phone you add is $20.

For 2 lines, the price is $100 + $20 x 2 = $140.
For 3 lines, $100 + $20 x 3 = $160.
etc.
The cost a family plan with two or three lines and unlimited data was not on the Verizon website as recently as yesterday; I searched, I even read the fine print. Only the costs for one and four lines were listed.

Today, the prices that I quoted earlier prominently appear on the Verizon website.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
It's actually more like this:
  • $80/line for 1 line
  • $70/line for 2 lines
  • $54/line for 3 lines
  • $45/line for 4 lines
  • $40/line for 5 lines
  • $37/line for 6 lines
  • $34/line for 7 lines
  • $33/line for 8 lines
  • $31/line for 9 lines
  • $30/line for 10 lines
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Verizon pushed a mandatory update to the Android app yesterday. The updated version no longer offers the old XL plans.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
Verizon is not transparent about the cost of two or three lines, I finally found the answer:
I think most of the carriers are not very clear. They listed how much is it for 1 line and than 4 lines. If you need to find out 3 lines or 9 lines (my case), you have to actually go thru the ordering process to get it! I did that on Monday and confirm that it is indeed $100 + $20 per line and you have to pay the $20 even for the first line which is kind of stupid because if you only have 1 line you would have just gone for the $80 plan. So it is really $140 + $20 on 3rd line and up to the 10th line. I am sure some marketing person said if we listed it as $100 base.. it looks better.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by johnh123
From what I have heard, you can sign up with ach for the $10 discount, but then manually pay your bill the day before it is due with your cc for points, and you will still get the discount.
Interesting. I've heard of mixed results with this in the past where if the payment was already scheduled, it would still auto-deduct (leaving you with a credit on the account for next month).

My card gives me device insurance as long as I pay the bill, so that's an important feature that I am not willing to give up. Plus, I just don't trust Evil Red with my ACH info. I can at least dispute something on a credit card.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:54 pm

What's different?

I'm a Verizon customer with an XL data plan and five devices. This appears to save me money, but I'm 90% sure that if I called a Verizon rep today and asked about the differences between my plan and this new one, they'd say "everything's the same but this has unlimited data!"

So then it's hammer and tongs time. What about my international plan? What about the free calling/data from Canada/Mexico? Will you support my mother's flip phone? What's changed with texting? What about roaming? What about something I NEVER would have asked about, like the direct deposit thing? I always feel like I'm being lured into a trap so that some obscure but useful thing in my existing contract can get eliminated.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Looks like AT&T is dropping the Directv requirement:

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

AT&T goes unlimited as wireless battle rages on

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...ages/97965092/
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pbjag
Looks like AT&T is dropping the Directv requirement:

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

AT&T goes unlimited as wireless battle rages on

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...ages/97965092/
Easily the worst deal of the group. No tethering, 22 GB deprioritisation cap, no Canada or Mexico, and the highest cost. (Though if you have 4 lines it is cheaper than Verizon.)
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Need
I think most of the carriers are not very clear. They listed how much is it for 1 line and than 4 lines. If you need to find out 3 lines or 9 lines (my case), you have to actually go thru the ordering process to get it!
TMo seems pretty easy, at least up to 4.

No discount on Vz, and a $10 discount per line under 2GB on TMo (Mrs CP's line is barely used), means $130 all in (less 2% back) vs. $160+fees at VZ. Plus $150/line to switch. Seems like a pretty easy decision for me.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:19 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Easily the worst deal of the group. No tethering, 22 GB deprioritisation cap, no Canada or Mexico, and the highest cost. (Though if you have 4 lines it is cheaper than Verizon.)
Definitely the worse of the group (no tethering is huge) but does include Canada and Mexico without limits I think. Also FAN discounts apply to plan cost (which is arguably not a huge savings) but not per line costs.

source

Last edited by FlyingDoctorwu; Feb 16, 2017 at 6:01 pm
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I know that employer affiliation discounts are not allowed on the new plan. Having just started with a new employer which undoubtedly has a larger discount than my prior employer, I'm waiting for that to take effect before considering a change. As it sits. Same bill monthly but includes more data than I typically use.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by boberonicus
I'm a Verizon customer with an XL data plan and five devices. This appears to save me money, but I'm 90% sure that if I called a Verizon rep today and asked about the differences between my plan and this new one, they'd say "everything's the same but this has unlimited data!"

So then it's hammer and tongs time. What about my international plan? What about the free calling/data from Canada/Mexico? Will you support my mother's flip phone? What's changed with texting? What about roaming? What about something I NEVER would have asked about, like the direct deposit thing? I always feel like I'm being lured into a trap so that some obscure but useful thing in my existing contract can get eliminated.
The flip phone will work - it will now cost you $20, the same as a smartphone (I pay $10/line for a flip phone now on an old plan). You are right that it isn't clear if you have coverage when inside Mexico and Canada (it just says free calling to those countries).

Something important to keep in mind is, if you are currently getting a discount on your plan from AAA or your employer, that is not available for Unlimited. At my job, it is 25% off the S/M/L/XL packages, plus the $20/line, and that 25% doesn't apply to "U". So check your statement.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Definitely the worse of the group (no tethering is huge) but does include Canada and Mexico without limits I think. Also FAN discounts apply to plan cost (which is arguably not a huge savings) but not per line costs.

source
The PR says that you can call Max and Ca from the Us. T-Mobiles includes use in those countries, as well as their regular international roaming.

Rumors are that the "plus" plan will be just $5 more, and includes more international calling, plus unlimited Gogo wifi.

Edit: international roaming is a no cost add on apparently, but not standard.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
This is the same plan they have been offering since they started the DirecTV thing. $100 + $40 on 2nd line up.. 4th line free after 2 months. So you pay $220 for the first month or 2.. and then $180. They do offer free roaming just like before in Canada and Mexico. I don't see how they plan to retain customer this way. It is definitely the worst of the bunch. Especially NO tethering at all.

4 Lines:
Sprint (actually 5 lines) $90
Tmobile $160
Verizon $180
AT&T $220 first 2 months than $180

10 Lines:
Sprint (2 x 5 lines) $180
Tmobile $280
Verizon $300
AT&T $460 first 2 month than $420
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Looked like a good deal until I got to the fine print.

Employee discount not valid on unlimited data plan, auto-pay discount not valid if using CC. Plus devices and non-smartphone rates increase from $10 to $20 per line per month. All said and done the cost for me would increase and my likelihood of needing the extra data is minimal.

Wonder if employee discounts will be going away on other plans? And I have no interest in providing ACH info for auto pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.