Facebook on laptop computer

Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum

Quick question for the experts:

I use Facebook on my laptop only (Windows 10 if it makes any difference).

Without any warning FB now only lists "Messenger" instead of "Messages" and the new layout and functionality suck. This happened yesterday and I changed none of my settings nor was I shown a pop-up message about any changes or similar.

Is there any way to switch back to the old display?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:45 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
It is a change to the facebook website. Nothing you can do about it unless facebook adds an option to change the interface.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/18/fa...-of-messenger/
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Quick question for the experts:

I use Facebook on my laptop only (Windows 10 if it makes any difference).

Without any warning FB now only lists "Messenger" instead of "Messages" and the new layout and functionality suck. This happened yesterday and I changed none of my settings nor was I shown a pop-up message about any changes or similar.

Is there any way to switch back to the old display?

Thanks in advance!
Facebook is a website not an app, so there is no way to change the interface. Messenger is the new online platform for conversations and the old message app is gone.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Switch to MySpace.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses!

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Switch to MySpace.

Ok, leaving aside that I'm a dinosaur, what platform would you recommend for a chat:

a) that involves multiple people (3-4)
b) allows participants to post replies consisting of multiple paragraphs (and a minimum of formatting/editing before posting)
c) is accessible easily both using a cell phone and desktop computer

(I had to considered a secret FB group, but was wondering whether there are any better alternatives.)
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the responses!

Ok, leaving aside that I'm a dinosaur, what platform would you recommend for a chat:

b) allows participants to post replies consisting of multiple paragraphs (and a minimum of formatting/editing before posting)

(I had to considered a secret FB group, but was wondering whether there are any better alternatives.)
I think what you're looking for is called "email".
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I think what you're looking for is called "email".

Not very convenient for discussions that involve more than two people IME.

Let me add a fourth requirement: "replies/comments should be displayed in chronological order."
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
1. Facebook
While there is facebook.com, there is ALSO an app from the Microsoft store--like there is from the App Store--for Facebook, so technically using the term "app" is acceptable.

2. @Jasper2009
GoogleHangouts may provide what you're after in the form of a group chat. I personally don't use it so can't speak to how long a group chat would remain "alive" or retain past responses, but it meets your requirements.

For something more robust, go with a bulletin board, much like this one here on FT. They can be had & hosted for free, and you can lock down access with usernames/passwords.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Perhaps WhatsApp? I've grown accustomed to their web.whatsapp.com portal and it works well!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Slack? There's minimal formatting and certainly you can have multiple paragraphs and a lot more. There's a website and a mobile site (and a desktop app which is just the website packaged with its own Chrome).
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: MP
1. Facebook Messenger
2. LINE
3. Whatsapp
4. iMessage
5. email
6. regular texting
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)

Slack is probably the best messaging option for the sort of use you're talking about. It's free for small teams (or large, low volume ones -- the limit on free is a rolling 10,000 message archive limit) and the support is quite good if you go to the paid version. It has a good web interface, a very good Android app, and GREAT a desktop version for Windows, Linux and Mac. I'm told the iOS version is better still but I don't use iOS.

A Facebook or Google group isn't a bad alternative. Google Groups are better on desktop and have an email gateway. They're much clumsier on mobile unless you're using the email gateway.

If not for the mobile access, this really sounds more like you want a private message board or wiki.

Originally Posted by chx1975
Slack? There's minimal formatting and certainly you can have multiple paragraphs and a lot more. There's a website and a mobile site (and a desktop app which is just the website packaged with its own Chrome).
One nice thing with Slack is that you can post documents or formatted "snippets" to the channel, with a comment, and then people don't have to skim over the whole thing -- just the comment. They've also added a threaded view.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.

Not very convenient for discussions that involve more than two people IME.

Let me add a fourth requirement: "replies/comments should be displayed in chronological order."
Email is very convenient and I use it daily for conversations with much more than two people.

Additionally, any decent email client will display replies in the order that they were received. Now whether the people replying choose to top post, bottom post, or inline post is entirely up to them.

That said, there's also Telegram (didn't see that mentioned).

Also there is IRC since you mentioned being a dinosaur

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.