Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Android App to Emulate iPhone 7's "Portrait" Mode?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG

ATT / Apple is running commercials on TV for the iPhone 7 and its Portrait mode. Is there a camera app for Android with similar abilities?

The cool thing about the iPhone 7's Portrait mode is that it uses software to blur the background, what photographers call "bokeh." This is especially important for the tiny cameras in smartphones, which have great (often excessive) depth of field.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It won't be possible unless your phone has multiple lenses. While Apple uses software to create the image output, it's actually using both physical lenses to take the photo - which is why the feature is restricted to the iPhone 7 Plus and not other iPhone models.

There are some apps that mimic the effect although the output is not as realistic as a setup with dual lenses. The Xperia phones have a background defocus effect which is software based, but not sure if a similar app is available for other Android phones.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:37 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I use Open Camera:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...amera&hl=en_GB

It does have a portrait mode (along with several others) but its effectiveness really depends on the aperture range of your camera.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:56 pm

Google Camera app does a pretty good job of it. It is called Lens Blur effect and you have to move your phone slowly up when you take a picture.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.GoogleCamera
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
It won't be possible unless your phone has multiple lenses. While Apple uses software to create the image output, it's actually using both physical lenses to take the photo - which is why the feature is restricted to the iPhone 7 Plus and not other iPhone models.

There are some apps that mimic the effect although the output is not as realistic as a setup with dual lenses. The Xperia phones have a background defocus effect which is software based, but not sure if a similar app is available for other Android phones.
Right. I imagine the best you could do is adding the bokeh/blur in post (which won't look exactly the same as you were using a large aperture for the photo).
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by el aye
Right. I imagine the best you could do is adding the bokeh/blur in post (which won't look exactly the same as you were using a large aperture for the photo).
It is not really too bad for camera phone. I took a couple of pictures last night using the Google Camera's Lens Blur effect:

Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Google Camera App Not Available in US?

Originally Posted by Need
Google Camera app does a pretty good job of it. It is called Lens Blur effect and you have to move your phone slowly up when you take a picture.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.GoogleCamera
Interesting result when I, in the United States and not running a VPN, try to access the link:
Sorry! This content is not available in your country yet.
We're working to bring the content you love to more countries as quickly as possible.
Please check back again soon.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
Interesting result when I, in the United States and not running a VPN, try to access the link:
Sorry! This content is not available in your country yet.
We're working to bring the content you love to more countries as quickly as possible.
Please check back again soon.
That's strange I am in the US not using VPN too. Did you try the link using a PC browser or Android browser? I think you need to use it on the PC and remotely install the app on your Android devices. I found the link on google search "Google Camera App" on the PC I think. I tried to search for it on Play store (both PC website and Android Play store app) but nothing comes up. From what I read they tried to limit the device to only the ones from Google like the Nexus and Pixel, but once I got to the page, it let me install it on all my Android devices including the tablets. You don't want to install it on older Android though.. the processing of the picture takes forever on the older Android.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need
That's strange I am in the US not using VPN too. Did you try the link using a PC browser or Android browser? I think you need to use it on the PC and remotely install the app on your Android devices. I found the link on google search "Google Camera App" on the PC I think. I tried to search for it on Play store (both PC website and Android Play store app) but nothing comes up. From what I read they tried to limit the device to only the ones from Google like the Nexus and Pixel, but once I got to the page, it let me install it on all my Android devices including the tablets. You don't want to install it on older Android though.. the processing of the picture takes forever on the older Android.
No luck from here, using internet over TimeWarner/Spectrum. I continue to get the "Sorry! This content is not available in your country yet." message when I click the link in both Chrome and Firefox browsers. Searches of the Play store on both PC and Android phone don't find it. Oh well...
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
No luck from here, using internet over TimeWarner/Spectrum. I continue to get the "Sorry! This content is not available in your country yet." message when I click the link in both Chrome and Firefox browsers. Searches of the Play store on both PC and Android phone don't find it. Oh well...
Oh well, it is not really any faster than post processing the picture using a photo editing app. You maybe better off just use something like Snapseed to edit the picture and put in the lens blur afterward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.