Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Is this what I need to make my laptop Bluetooth enabled?

Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list

Dongle

I'd like to buy a portable Bluetooth speaker (maybe OontZ Angle 3 Plus) to use with my laptop & phone. However my laptop does not have Bluetooth. Is the dongle above what I need? It has a high rating.

Thx
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Yes, good choice
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Yes, good choice
Thanks much. Were you referring to the speaker or the dongle?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I have used a good number of (work and personal) laptops over the past decade, and IIRC, all of them have had Bluetooth built-in. While not all versions of Bluetooth have the same capabilities -- you might need a newer version to fully use your speaker -- the very first thing that occurred to me is that your laptop might actually have Bluetooth hardware, but something is preventing it from working.

Before buying a separate Bluetooth dongle, it's probably worth double-checking (here are some simple things you can do) to make sure that it's absolutely necessary.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikew99
I have used a good number of (work and personal) laptops over the past decade, and IIRC, all of them have had Bluetooth built-in. While not all versions of Bluetooth have the same capabilities -- you might need a newer version to fully use your speaker -- the very first thing that occurred to me is that your laptop might actually have Bluetooth hardware, but something is preventing it from working.

Before buying a separate Bluetooth dongle, it's probably worth double-checking (here are some simple things you can do) to make sure that it's absolutely necessary.
I checked that exact site http://www.wikihow.com/Check-if-Your...-Has-Bluetooth before I posted. I have a 2-3 yr old HP Envy and no sign of Bluetooth.

Last edited by philemer; Dec 3, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
I use a similar tiny BT dongle that I bought on eBay for a couple of bucks, and it works fine with a BT mouse.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Yes, that's what you need.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:13 am

Hello! I don't think any Bluetooth devices such as Bluetooth speakers will work if your unit has no Bluetooth at all. However, you can check this article if you want to have a Bluetooth on your unit.

How to Add Bluetooth to Your Computer
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Bluetooth was not as ubiquitous even 3-4 years ago. My 7 year old HP Pavilion laptop does have bluetooth (although I very rarely used it), but that was part of the configuration. Many other models lacked bluetooth.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PFSHero
Hello! I don't think any Bluetooth devices such as Bluetooth speakers will work if your unit has no Bluetooth at all. However, you can check this article if you want to have a Bluetooth on your unit.

How to Add Bluetooth to Your Computer
This article says all you need is a BT dongle, as mentioned about.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.