MacBook Pro help

Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
MacBook Pro help

A friend's boyfriend has asked me for help with Christmas shopping for her. He wants to get her a Macbook Pro, because her MacBook died. Her old one is from 2010, and she indicated that they changed chargers for some of the new MacBook Pros, but use the old charger for others. I'm a PC girl, not a Mac girl, so I have no idea about chargers and what models use the old charger. I'm hoping OMNI-land can help!
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
All new MBPs come with a working charger so you won't need to worry about the old one.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
All new MBPs come with a working charger so you won't need to worry about the old one.
I figured they all come with chargers. However, she would like to stick with one that uses the old style so that she has a spare charger.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
The design of the male end of the charger has been redesigned to resist fraying but that doesn't affect its basic functionality. A MagSafe Power Adapter is a MagSafe Power Adapter.

I have two Macbooks (2008, 2011) and one MacbookPro (2006), and use both styles of chargers. They're completely interchangeable although the 85w MagSafe Power Adapter A1343 is [scarequotes] intended [/scare] for the MBP and the 60w version, the model number of which I cannot retrieve for you given the 11.5 lb. cat on my feet, is intended for the Macbook.

When the old style p/a that came with my '06 MBP failed due to fraying I used an old style 60W p/a for months until I got around to buying a new style 85W p/a. Absolutely no performance difference though the brick did get a tad toasty at times.

BTW, if you have orphan miles in UA or some other program with shopping you can one for a song. I redeemed 12,600 miles for a brand spanking new 85W p/a. Regular retail is $80(!).

Last edited by essxjay; Dec 2, 2016 at 5:48 pm
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by essxjay
The design of the male end of the charger has been redesigned to resist fraying but that's doesn't affect its basic functionality. A MagSafe Power Adapter is a MagSafe Power Adapter.

I have two Macbooks (2008, 2011) and one MacbookPro (2006), and use both styles of chargers. They're completely interchangeable although the 85w MagSafe Power Adapter A1343 is [scarequotes] intended [/scare] for the MBP and the 60w version, the model number of which I cannot retrieve for you given the 11.5 lb. cat on my feet, is intended for the Macbook.
Doesn't the cat know I need the information?

So, the charger is the same, other than the fraying redesign? Nice!
Old Dec 2, 2016, 6:59 pm

A MagSafe Power Adapter is a MagSafe Power Adapter.
There are 2 versions of MagSafe, not mutually compatible.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
Doesn't the cat know I need the information?

So, the charger is the same, other than the fraying redesign? Nice!
If you are buying one of the newest Macbook Pros then the connector is completely different.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I figured they all come with chargers. However, she would like to stick with one that uses the old style so that she has a spare charger.
That's a silly as choosing a new car based on tire size so you can use your old spare tire.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A MagSafe Power Adapter is a MagSafe Power Adapter.

I have two Macbooks (2008, 2011) and one MacbookPro (2006),
Later MBPs (starting I'm not sure when) use a magsafe adapter that has a slightly larger head at the low voltage end. You can get an adapter from the smaller to the larger for about $10. I have both and my mid-2015 is plugged in through the little adapter to the smaller adapter right now.

The very newest ones charge through a USB-C, which is completely different. there may or may not be an adapter to either of the magsafes.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MADPhil
If you are buying one of the newest Macbook Pros then the connector is completely different.

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
That's a silly as choosing a new car based on tire size so you can use your old spare tire.
It's not for me.
Originally Posted by chrisl137
Later MBPs (starting I'm not sure when) use a magsafe adapter that has a slightly larger head at the low voltage end. You can get an adapter from the smaller to the larger for about $10. I have both and my mid-2015 is plugged in through the little adapter to the smaller adapter right now.

The very newest ones charge through a USB-C, which is completely different. there may or may not be an adapter to either of the magsafes.
So not what I was hoping to see.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

It's not for me.
I know; I would have stated it more diplomatically if it had
been for you.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:47 am

Kipper,

His girlfriend will be so delighted to get a new MacBook Pro that not having a backup charger won't be an issue. I just replaced my 2010 with a 2016 MacBook Pro. As others have mentioned Apple changed the shape of the charger connector and old charger will not fit the new MacBook Pros.

More important decisions when deciding on a MacBook Pro are about which size/model do you want and how do you want to configure the MacBook Pro. Your friend can easily do comparisons online between the different models and configurations online at Apple to select right MacBook Pro. Also if there is an Apple Store nearby those folks are very helpful.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Precisely, why would you buy an older model for the sake of an adapter?

Excellent!
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:56 am
Original Poster

I know; I would have stated it more diplomatically if it had
been for you.
I've not been one to select a computer based on type of charger, but apparently, it matters to her.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Precisely, why would you buy an older model for the sake of an adapter?
There are a number of other issues with the newest Macbook Pros and there is an FT thread discussing them. Some people have chosen to buy the previous version.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.