Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Netflix now has download option for offline viewing

Netflix now has download option for offline viewing

Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
Need to find out if I could save to micro SD card or only to internal memory. Amazon Prime Video is to internal memory and it gets filled up pretty quick...
So it's realistically only for the i-crowd?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by freecia
I updated my Amazon Video Android app yesterday and it now offers default save to micro SD Card instead of internal storage. I might have missed when this feature was introduced but very happy the app prompted me to switch download location upon firing up the new version.
Oh really? I haven't used it for while so I didn't check. Oh my android tablet, it only has 16GB internal memory and between apps and OS, it used up over 10GB. I have only like 5GB left, but I have a a 64GB micro SD card.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
So it's realistically only for the i-crowd?
i-Device with only 16GB internal memory is worst than Android 16GB. Android 16GB devices has micro SD-slot for storing pictures and videos taken from the phone which takes up huge amount of space. An iPhone 6 with 16GB memory get full really quick if you start taking video with the phone. You will have to upload to to cloud and delete them often to make space. I think the new iPhone 7 should have started with 64 instead of 32.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:01 am

Used this yesterday on a flight from Heathrow to JFK on my iPad Air II, works very well. Some details:

Not all titles are available for download, but they are clearly marked and you can navigate to a "downloadable" subcategory to find them all.

The downloads take place in a 'standard' quality that is not HD but looks like HD on a mobile device, same as in iTunes. The 100 minute movie I downloaded was 250MB in size. That's concurrent with iTunes SD download sizes.

The battery usage is very efficient, I watched the movie from end to end and it only used 3% of my battery which dropped from 100% to 97% when it was done. This metric too is similar to iTunes movie viewer native to the iPad.

The on-screen controls are intuitive, what you'd expect.

The downloads have to be viewed within a certain period, I believe it's 5 days or so, so they are more like iTunes rentals than purchases.

All in all I was very happy, it's nice to be able to take a trip and download an entire show season at no cost, similar experience of a season of, say, Mad Men, would cost $20 on iTunes. It's great for the binge viewer.

BJ
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Downloaded a ton of stuff to a 128G iPad before going on a SFO-HKG-SFO mileage run last weekend. Worked like a charm. The standard quality video was pretty good, especially given how little space it took on the iPad.

Downloads were very fast from home (comcast cable modem) and I even downloaded a couple more in Hong Kong and it was fairly fast.

As previous poster said, UI is great, it's a really well done application.

They have a "jump back 10 seconds" button which is great, I'd put on my wish list a "jump forward 10 seconds" button so I can skip past the intros when watching TV series.

Really great applicaiton and feature, thanks Netflix!
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by DMSFCA
I'd put on my wish list a "jump forward 10 seconds" button so I can skip past the intros when watching TV series.
Those Marvel series intro are horribly long. It is interesting to watch it on episode 1 or maybe 2... but after that...
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Downloaded a ton of stuff to a 128G iPad before going on a SFO-HKG-SFO mileage run last weekend. Worked like a charm. The standard quality video was pretty good, especially given how little space it took on the iPad.

Downloads were very fast from home (comcast cable modem) and I even downloaded a couple more in Hong Kong and it was fairly fast.

As previous poster said, UI is great, it's a really well done application.

They have a "jump back 10 seconds" button which is great, I'd put on my wish list a "jump forward 10 seconds" button so I can skip past the intros when watching TV series.

Really great applicaiton and feature, thanks Netflix!
Cool that you can download ex-US. I was wondering if they'd limit you like that or not.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: MP
This sounds interesting. I might even consider getting back to Netflix just for this.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 8:11 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by josephstern
Cool that you can download ex-US. I was wondering if they'd limit you like that or not.
They allow you to download/view what is available in that country.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by pon18n
This sounds interesting. I might even consider getting back to Netflix just for this.
At present, only a limited selection (subset) of titles can be downloaded, but they say they are working on expanding that. I found the series Marcella addictive.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
...and downloads remain queued, but not downloading.

Multiple wiFi networks, shut down and restart, uninstall and reinstall Netflix, nada.

Very odd. It's finally downloading. Oddly enough, took me until the Business Lounge at CLJ before it would do anything. I've been on WiFi after WiFi from Portland to LAX to LHR to Romania, and nothing until now.

Perfect timing - I should actually have something to watch on the LHR-LAX flight.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HH, SPG Gold
Heard it first here

Thanks to the OP for the news on the Netflix download feature. I am so excited to have the option to choose my entertainment heading to NZ in the new year! This forum has proven its value once again.^
Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Used this for a flight last week. It worked just as advertised and was great as I had gone through most of the AA catalogue already and the internet was broken so, so much for getting any work done -- finished Narcos instead.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:56 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by adambadam
Used this for a flight last week. It worked just as advertised and was great as I had gone through most of the AA catalogue already and the internet was broken so, so much for getting any work done -- finished Narcos instead.
What a great series!
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Been using this a bunch on a 128GB ipad and love it, I don't know why people would risk illegally download movies when this is so easy for a flat rate.

One thing I've noticed that is that shows seem to be expiring all over the place on me. I loaded up with a ton of stuff and about a quarter of it says it's expiring in the next week.

Is this because Netflix doesn't allow you to sit on content very long? Even though I connected via wifi every few days it didn't seem to "refresh" the expiration date.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.