Flexiroam X Review - Pan-International SIM sticker

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flexiroam X Review - Pan-International SIM sticker

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by frobozzelectric
installed it as instructed and my s7 would not recognize it and prompted for a network unlock key when restarted.

flexiroam seems to conveniently omit any mention of this issue which i think will be the same for many users.

They actually address this point in the FAQ's. Copy & Paste is below:

What devices is the Flexiroam X compatible with?

The Flexiroam X is compatible with any unlocked internet enabled iOS and Android mobile devices with any SIM sizes. Please check with your local service provider if you need to unlock your device to enable network service by other telco providers.

Perhaps it should be displayed more prominently, however it is stated.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by draver

The Flexiroam X is compatible with any unlocked internet enabled iOS and Android mobile devices with any SIM sizes. Please check with your local service provider if you need to unlock your device to enable network service by other telco providers.

ah so it is. i must have missed it. will try a sim unlock tomorrow, theoretically it should allow it to work.

eep no such luck. flexiroam will not work with samsung s7 and s7 edge. wife gets the flexiroam then.

works ok on a globe telecom lenovo. connects to smart when in philippines.

Last edited by frobozzelectric; Apr 6, 2017 at 10:29 am
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:34 pm

ah so it is. i must have missed it. will try a sim unlock tomorrow, theoretically it should allow it to work.

eep no such luck. flexiroam will not work with samsung s7 and s7 edge. wife gets the flexiroam then.

works ok on a globe telecom lenovo. connects to smart when in philippines.
I'm unclear on your findings. Is it your position that all S7's do not work, or only yours because it is locked to your carrier?

My brother in law has an S7, and may borrow my sim for trips, it would be valuable info for others also.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:40 am

I'm unclear on your findings. Is it your position that all S7's do not work, or only yours because it is locked to your carrier?

My brother in law has an S7, and may borrow my sim for trips, it would be valuable info for others also.
in the faq it apparently listed both s7 and s7 edge as incompatible devices, regardless of sim lock status.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:05 pm

in the faq it apparently listed both s7 and s7 edge as incompatible devices, regardless of sim lock status.
Wow, looks like we both need to read the fine print a little more.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
I used the Flexiroam setup last November; worked in Australia but speed was often slower than expected, had some issues during the time I was in BKK (airport) where it should have worked but didn't, didn't work in Cambodia (but wasn't supposed to). Worked well in Singapore.

Wished I'd written down notes from my travels; I was able to tether by changing the APN configuration a bit. But darned if I can remember what I did!

Phone calls and texts are easily handled via Skype (from what others tell me, WhatsApp is even better, but I'm used to Skype).
Old May 21, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

I'm looking into a Flexiroam X but have a question. I use an unlocked iphone with a Tracfone sim. If you know Tracfone, they sim-lock their sim to a single device. So while you can bring your own device, they then lock it to that particular device and you can't pop it into another unlocked phone.

So does only the device matter as far as being unlocked? Anyone have any idea as to whether this will work woth a Flexiroam? The phone is unlocked but will it work when stuck onto a Tracfone sim?
Old May 24, 2017, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Finkface
I'm looking into a Flexiroam X but have a question. I use an unlocked iphone with a Tracfone sim. If you know Tracfone, they sim-lock their sim to a single device. So while you can bring your own device, they then lock it to that particular device and you can't pop it into another unlocked phone.

So does only the device matter as far as being unlocked? Anyone have any idea as to whether this will work woth a Flexiroam? The phone is unlocked but will it work when stuck onto a Tracfone sim?
I know Flexiroam says their service will work on non-functional SIM cards (ie: if you had an old iPhone that you only use for traveling, you can stick a non-functional sim in there and just use Flexiroam.)

So with that in mind, it should work just fine as long as the phone is unlocked. It looks like any of the "locking' going on is Tracfone's issue, not your phones.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Boogie711
I know Flexiroam says their service will work on non-functional SIM cards (ie: if you had an old iPhone that you only use for traveling, you can stick a non-functional sim in there and just use Flexiroam.)

So with that in mind, it should work just fine as long as the phone is unlocked. It looks like any of the "locking' going on is Tracfone's issue, not your phones.
Thanks. I may just put it onto my Canadian pay-as-you-go sim instead. I don't have data on that so I could use Flexiroam's even in Canada (vs internationally, which is what I really want it for) when I need data.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Thanks for all the input. I think to get a referral bonus now, you use this link..if you wouldn't mind using my link to get the start-up pack, I'd appreciate it.

http://roam.my/3vxmkpvb
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:21 pm

flexiroam in korea

works but is painfully slow.

connects to jt wave which does not seem to be a korean carrier.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: WP
works but is painfully slow.

connects to jt wave which does not seem to be a korean carrier.
I get LTE in Seoul, forgot the carrier though. Couldn't get it to work in Macau though, connected to both 3Macau and SmartToneMAC, but no data.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: most of them
Just saw an ad for this product and I am intrigued. Glad to see most of you have had a good experience. I have a dual SIM phone (OP5). I'm wondering if it makes sense to stick this thing to one of the myriad old SIMs I have from traveling to various countries and using it that way instead of putting it on my Tmo SIM. Is there any reason I would want or not want to do that? It looks like their Flexiroam sticker goes on the same side as your SIM's contacts. I guess it just passes the signals through when you don't have the app activated?

Also, their website seems to indicate that the initial allotment of data is good for 90 days and then after that I guess you need to "top up? Is that 90 days from first use or 90 days from purchase?

I only travel internationally a couple of times per year, but find it a pain to bother with getting a new SIM in every country. (Although I guess the new EU roaming rules might make that easier in Europe now)
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Just saw an ad for this product and I am intrigued. Glad to see most of you have had a good experience. I have a dual SIM phone (OP5). I'm wondering if it makes sense to stick this thing to one of the myriad old SIMs I have from traveling to various countries and using it that way instead of putting it on my Tmo SIM. Is there any reason I would want or not want to do that? It looks like their Flexiroam sticker goes on the same side as your SIM's contacts. I guess it just passes the signals through when you don't have the app activated?

Also, their website seems to indicate that the initial allotment of data is good for 90 days and then after that I guess you need to "top up? Is that 90 days from first use or 90 days from purchase?

I only travel internationally a couple of times per year, but find it a pain to bother with getting a new SIM in every country. (Although I guess the new EU roaming rules might make that easier in Europe now)

you are correct about the pass through feature.

Based on a confirmation shipping email, and my expiration date, I'd say the shipping date begins your data usage period. Mine was shipped 2-15-17 and expires 2-15-18. I recently posted some information about their services that might be of value for a potential user.

I have been told via emails that even when my paid period has lapsed, I can reactivate my plan with a new purchase rather than starting fresh. The drawback with this function is that any unused data is lost due to the newer, shorter data use periods.

Also, now that my carrier, T-Mobile has reduced the cost of their Data Pass offers to $20/1Gb/10 days, it is becoming an "Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe" decision as far as picking a roaming data supplier. For instance, I favor KeepGo for 1 year service at every level of cost, and past experience with solid coverage and service. However, they do not currently have service in New Zealand, and Flexiroam does. I'll be there in October this year on my way to Australia. I'm probably overthinking this.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: most of them
It is definitely a dilemma to decide among the options. I was just looking at Keepgo as well. It seems to have some advantages, but fewer countries of coverage. And in reading some reviews there seems to be some issues in some places with getting it to work at all.

I am on one of Tmo's cheapest prepaid plans ($35/mo) so no international data roaming.

Last edited by glennaa11; Aug 2, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.