Search

New MacBook Pros (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
New MacBook Pros (2016)

Apple introduced their first major revamp of the MacBook Pro line today.

A few major changes were done:
  • All standard USB ports are removed
  • no more Magsafe charging
  • 4 thunderbolt 3 ports (which are the same shape as USB-C)
  • Physical function keys replaced with LCD touch bar
  • inclusion of Touch-ID security
  • increased trackpad size
  • lighter weight and smaller size
  • headphone jack lives!
  • HDMI port is removed

I'll be sticking with my current MacBook and likely switching back to Windows at the next cycle (which is probably going to be in 2-ish years.) They could at least have the same ports across all their devices. Stick with lightning for everything, or at at minimum have USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 on the new iPhone in fall, and future iPads.

Last edited by WIRunner; Oct 27, 2016 at 3:12 pm
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I was recently refreshed to a current until now 15" MacBook Pro, not feeling too left out. The touch bar looks useless.

But for ....'s sake, just give us a single real USB port.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
My first impression

+ Space grey
+ Quicker hardware
+ Bigger trackpad (or whatever they call it)

- USB-C only
- No more MagSafe 2 saving the laptop if you trip over the cable.
- No SD-Slot.
- Yet Slimmer again. They should have left it bigger and fit a little more battery
- The price.

+/- Touch-ID is a nice gadget, but certainly not a reason to buy a new
+/- Touch bar: Meh. I can live with ordinary fn keys.

Guess I'll be sticking to my iMac (with a retrofited 950Pro SSD) and the Mid 2013 MBA, both fabulous machines... @Apple: How about an iPad Mini 5. I'm still waiting for that.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:58 pm

Me want , especially since I get a discount via an employee. I can definitely use the increased speed.

But I'll wait since I just replaced the battery on the mid 2012 rMBP.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:25 pm
Suspended

IMHO

+ Space Grey

- No USB
- No Magsafe

Other upgrade is non issue for me. They manage to get 4 slot usb-c, yet can't even fit 1-2 slot for USB. This is stupid. I prefer to get 2 usb-c and 2 usb instead. I'll be holding on my 2011 non-retina MBP. I just change the hard drive to ssd and max the RAM to 16gb ram. It also has the usb, mag safe, SSD and DVD drive.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
I'm on a 2012 11" MBA with 1,800 cycles it is perfectly fine as the day i picked it up but i think i will pick one of the newer ones that launched today. Not sure which one,we'll see. But yep, i'm thinking about upgrading. Have been waiting this time since about 2 years ago but still we'll think about it as this machine works perfectly fine and meets my needs, upgrading would be just spoiling myself for the sake of it.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
They adopted the 12" MacBook's keyboard, albeit with possibly a tiny bit more key travel. I'll need to play with it in person to see if it's any better but I'm not hopeful.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:10 pm
Suspended

- iPhone 7 out last month was not able to be charged directly to the new mbp without a dongle.

- iPhone 7 abandoned the headphone jack and expect the user to adapt to lightning connector or wireless, however the new mbp kept the headphone jack but provide no lightning connector.

What a mess.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
So my question is how do we get the best bang for the buck buying this?

Most likely won't see any deals on Black Friday for it. Thoughts ?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
So my question is how do we get the best bang for the buck buying this?

Most likely won't see any deals on Black Friday for it. Thoughts ?
The best you can get from apple store during black friday is some iTunes gift card. If I'm in for one, I'll apply a new cc with high spend requirement (ex: Chase Sapphire Reserved) to knock off some of those spend.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:25 pm

Apple was owning the laptops space and now they're giving it up to someone who builds a decent laptop with an excellent display.

They just keep making their products worse and think if they call it innovation people will like it. Well, maybe they will ... we'll see.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:38 pm

I think its a kittle late for Apple to throw its weight around and believe whatever they put out the "followers" will keep buying ,

if you see other posters they are running 3-5 years old Macs , and unless they break will probably not upgrade and need to buy all new accessories ,

I like Apple stuff but wonder where they go in the Future ,

Would you buy Apple Stock to hold for 5 years ?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GrussGott
Apple was owning the laptops space and now they're giving it up to someone who builds a decent laptop with an excellent display.

They just keep making their products worse and think if they call it innovation people will like it. Well, maybe they will ... we'll see.
Yesterday's Surface is looking quite compelling.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Vaucluse
The best you can get from apple store during black friday is some iTunes gift card. If I'm in for one, I'll apply a new cc with high spend requirement (ex: Chase Sapphire Reserved) to knock off some of those spend.
I'll be swinging through NH, save me that ...... 9% sales tax. Would be cool if Best Buy had any 10% discount coupons floating around - anyone know ?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
I'll be swinging through NH, save me that ...... 9% sales tax. Would be cool if Best Buy had any 10% discount coupons floating around - anyone know ?
BB 10% disc coupon has brands restriction. Apple is always be one of those brand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.