New MacBook Pros (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New MacBook Pros (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WorldLux
The proper education prices are only available after connecting via specific websites.

E.G. MacBook Pro 13"
Apple Store (FR*) 1,699 1,999 2,1999 (€)
Apple Edu Store (FR) 1,597 1,879 2,067 (€) (6% discount)
Apple On Campus (FR) 1,495 1,759 1,935 (€) (12% discount)

*I used Apple Store FR as a friend of mine can only connect to the French AOC. It should however be sufficiently clear that Apple Edu Store is not the same as the AOC.
I've tried different education websites in the US, but the pricing is exactly the same as retail for right now.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WIRunner
MagSafe, it was the charging cable that they had that connected to the laptops via magnets. This is different than the lightning cable that they ship with an iPhone. Lightning cables are basically held together with residue and hope. The big advantage is the connection had too much stress on it, it would pop off the computer saving the laptop. The golfer has had apples for years, and over the past 10 years he's had to replace the charger once. (My iPhone seems to eat them though.)
I've had to replace the charger for my MacBook Pro pretty often because it would fray around the block. USB-C is a massive improvement in that regard, IMO.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tmiw
I've had to replace the charger for my MacBook Pro pretty often because it would fray around the block. USB-C is a massive improvement in that regard, IMO.
Buy this instead https://smile.amazon.com/Capri-Tools...=shrink+tubing
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
This year my brick just 'died'. End of cable was fine but I am careful with it.

Likely I will buy an apple refurbished 2015 model fully loaded. As the actual performance specs are almost the same and I don't have a downgraded GPU, no trackbar and the ports I need/want.

This has the makings for a BIG flop. I could see Apple releasing a MBP "S" or something. That is actually a professional level laptop...
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
This year my brick just 'died'. End of cable was fine but I am careful with it.

Likely I will buy an apple refurbished 2015 model fully loaded. As the actual performance specs are almost the same and I don't have a downgraded GPU, no trackbar and the ports I need/want.

This has the makings for a BIG flop. I could see Apple releasing a MBP "S" or something. That is actually a professional level laptop...
I'm thinking it'll be more Apple finally releases a laptop with 32GB of RAM a year or two after everyone else starts including 64GB in theirs.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Yah. No 32gb RAM as even an option seems odd.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by WIRunner
The removal of the modems and floppy drives made sense.
And in the case of modems, readily available in ever-small external USB packages.

Ditto the optical drives; Apple was ahead of the game in realizing that even where people was using them at all, it was infrequent enough that USB (or Firewire) was OK for the vast majority of people.

There was no real need to pull the SD reader, digital cameras have been using these, and will probably continue for a very long time.
That's an inconvenience, although it's pretty darn easy to use a very cheap USB one. They did kind of jump the gun on going all USB-C, but the adapters are passive and pretty cheap, and by doing so all at once it does kind of force the market to catch up.

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Yah. No 32gb RAM as even an option seems odd.
Especially on a machine that's all glued together.

My Dell had no 32GB RAM option when I bought it in April. OTOH, like any number of similar machines, the CPU supported it, and the 3rd party RAM works perfectly.

Apple's choice to go soldered (and later all glued together) ogether for the MBP 15" (starting with the first retina model) is disappointing; losing the ability to repair and upgrade machines is sort of understandable on ultraportables, but on high end professional machines it's stupid.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nkedel
Apple's choice to go soldered (and later all glued together) ogether for the MBP 15" (starting with the first retina model) is disappointing; losing the ability to repair and upgrade machines is sort of understandable on ultraportables, but on high end professional machines it's stupid.
This. The main reason I refused to upgrade to the retina MBP.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 9Benua
Speaking of which, Apple appears to have soldered the SSD as well with this generation, meaning aftermarket upgrades won't even be possible now. In the past one could get an OWC SSD or possibly an Apple SSD from eBay if one needed more space later on for the rMBPs.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Apple education page has the $1799 model for $1699- not sure if you must have an EDU email or not. Also saw this morning Amazon had the $1999 model for $1799. Maybe we will see some nice Black Friday discounts after all ...
I can't find these on Amazon. Can you post the ASIN maybe?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 9Benua
Speaking of which, Apple appears to have soldered the SSD as well with this generation, meaning aftermarket upgrades won't even be possible now. In the past one could get an OWC SSD or possibly an Apple SSD from eBay if one needed more space later on for the rMBPs.
I think some of the newest ones don't even have a removable SSD; this That is an even bigger problem, as it means getting data off an otherwise bricked (or physically damaged) machine is vastly more difficult.

Bad enough to have phones without a removable SD card for photos...
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:35 pm

I think some of the newest ones don't even have a removable SSD; this That is an even bigger problem, as it means getting data off an otherwise bricked (or physically damaged) machine is vastly more difficult.

Bad enough to have phones without a removable SD card for photos...
Backup! Make your backups!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:49 pm

And in the case of modems, readily available in ever-small external USB packages.

Ditto the optical drives; Apple was ahead of the game in realizing that even where people was using them at all, it was infrequent enough that USB (or Firewire) was OK for the vast majority of people.

That's an inconvenience, although it's pretty darn easy to use a very cheap USB one. They did kind of jump the gun on going all USB-C, but the adapters are passive and pretty cheap, and by doing so all at once it does kind of force the market to catch up.

Especially on a machine that's all glued together.

My Dell had no 32GB RAM option when I bought it in April. OTOH, like any number of similar machines, the CPU supported it, and the 3rd party RAM works perfectly.

But...

It's not sleek and engineered if you have to run an adapter of some type into every single port on the computer. I'll have less adapters into my Mid 2012 to run the same stuff I use when on location as a photographer.

What they have made is the MacBook Pro Trendy Edition. This is for kids spending their parent's money going to college. The hardware is mediocre for 2016 and the updates don't do anything for a professional using it. They have only made it LESS usable for an actual professional.

As said originally this has been the laptop of choice for most working creative professionals. This new one is a downgrade plain and simple. None of my creative professional friends has given this a hint of a positive 'preview'.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michael Ad
Backup! Make your backups!
Having scheduled automatic backups is important, but if you spend any non-trivial amount of time on the road, you either need cloud backups (expensive, and eat up a lot of bandwidth if you're a heavy user) or to have a way to get data off.

That's one thing where MacOS was well ahead of Windows.

Both Time Machine and Windows File History in Windows 10 are pretty good at making automatic, incremental backups. The difference is that Time Machine has been around since what, like Leopard in 2007 or something like that, and Windows only got the current File History feature in Windows 8 in 2012 (and it didn't work nearly as well on 8 or 8.1)

The full-machine backup feature on XP and 7 was terrible. Getting useful backups pretty much required a third party tool...
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, looks like the SSD on the new MBPs is removable after all?

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/28/...removable-ssd/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.